• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Ulcer thingy on tongue

B

Beamish

Hi all,

I know this isn't teeth related as such but I thought I'd post anyway. I think I bit my tongue a few days ago, and (I don't know if it contributed to it but) I now have what I think is an ulcer type thing on my tongue. I'm sure when I was younger I used to get the occasional ulcer and it would be painful, last a few days then get better. I haven't had any in absolutely years so I was a bit surprised to suddenly get one now. I am pregnant so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Anyway the ulcer is situated right on the side of my tongue and on the side of the mouth that I usually chew on. This means that every time I chew or run my tongue around my teeth (as I do lots) it keeps catching on my teeth and is quite painful. Yesterday I seemed to have a sort of dull pain there all day but today it seems to have died down a bit.

Does anyone have any experience of dealing with these types of things or for making them heal a bit faster? I know there is something that you can put down next to the gum but as this is on my tongue I'm not sure that would stay there.

Thanks very much,

Beamish

When I had an ulcer on the side of my tongue as you describe I got some bonjela complete plus, this puts a protective layer on the part of your mouth that is hurting.

I don't know if you can use it when pregnant but if you ask the pharmacist at the chemist they will tell you if it is safe for you at this time.

Congrats on your forth coming new addition. :)

You can rinse the tongue with salt water (just a half spoon salt, not more) twice a day. It will keep the wound clean.

Back