• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Ultimately fearing the dentist!!

K

kerstinwhite

So thankful that Ive found this site! Its so good to know that im not alone with the feelings that ive been having. But now onto my situation, just hoping id get a little support that I think im needing right now. So many people don't get why we have these phobia's if they arnt someone whom has them and im noticing it more and more recently. Just telling me to man up, or to woman up in my case just isnt it!

When I was 13 I went in to get my braces like many kids do. Before I could get braces my dentist said my mouth was too crowded so he was going to have to pull a couple teeth. I was also going to need a spacer due to the roof of my mouth being smaller. This is where the fear all started. I went in the day to get my teeth pulled, I was a little nervous about the situation but what going to be a big girl and just deal with it. Well, the dentist injected me with the freezing and left me for a few minutes for it to kick in. He came back in and started with the procedure. He came back to me being barely frozen and decided he'd just go to town. I told him multiple times I was feeling everything he was doing and he refused to stop. I understand I was 13, but if I tell you im not frozen IM NOT FROZEN and it doesn't mean you should torture me by going and pulling the 2 teeth regardless!!

The same dentist was the one who placed my spacer, I had that for 3 months and when he went to remove that it also removed 4 of my baby teeth!! They where bound to come out eventually but they all came when he removed the spacer...freaking me out even more.

So I had my braces for my 3 years,(16) and once I had a couple little fillings fixed I haven't been back to the dentist since. (I am now 26)

Now its on to the situation now, The fillings he did when I was 16 after my braces have BOTH fallen out on the top teeth so ive had holes in them for the past 5 yrs or so. While I was eating dinner last night, I took a bite and found something hard, turns out it was a corner to one of the teeth next to the one where the filling had fallen out!! So now im freaking out about going to the dentist but I now know that I HAVE to because it seems like the cavity just seems to be moving to other teeth.

Im looking into sedation dentistry. They have 2 different types, oral(where you dont remember whats going on but you are awake) or IV which they completely knock you out. Im hoping the oral will work for me, but that is also depending on how much work i will need to get done. I think id rather get it all done at once instead of multiple appointments so its less stress, fear and anticipation in the future.

But that's my story. I just needed to share cause I know many people now out in the world have this, and so that people know they arnt alone!

:welcome: kerstinwhite!

You're certainly not alone here. Thanks so much for sharing your story, it's a big step towards getting back to the dentist yourself. And you're right! You're also helping other people who are still suffering in silence and need to know that other people are going through the same things.

You should know that your experience at 13 was not right and is not the way modern, compassionate dentists work. You're absolutely correct in your adult assessment: if you tell your dentist you are not frozen, he should stop IMMEDIATELY and make sure you have enough anesthetic and time to get frozen. It seems to be a thing with dentists and kids, because my dentist also seemed to never give me enough novocaine. I have a pretty high tolerance, but every dentist I've seen as an adult has insisted that I be completely numb before doing any work. I think I broke a new record on my last visit: 10 vials! But by golly, I got numb.

The tragic thing is that once these experiences get branded into your memory, your whole body seems to remember and fight back against any thought of going to the dentist. It's not something rational, and sometimes no amount of reasoning can convince your body that it's okay to go to the dentist now. Your new dentist will have to earn your trust by being gentle and compassionate and, you know, making sure you're frozen before doing any work. :hmm:

The good news is, there are lots of compassionate dentists out there, who will treat you with respect and kindness, and work with you to fix up any damage that's been done. I know the horrible feeling of having a tooth break off while eating, and how scary it is to face the prospect of going back. But I can assure you that your teeth can be fixed up, and it doesn't have to hurt, and you can end all the worrying and avoiding.

The first step is getting in for a consultation to get some x-rays and find out what needs done-- and also to size up the dentist and make sure he/she is gentle and friendly. As an adult you have the power to walk out and find another dentist if you don't think you're being listened to.

I've never had oral or IV sedation, because frankly a proper dose of local anesthetic really takes away all the pain. Lots of people swear by sedation though, so get what you need.

Good luck in your search, and thanks again for sharing your story!!

:jump::jump::jump::jump:

Back