• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Ultra sonic scalers for home use?

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have recently started seeing ads for home use ultrasonic scalers and even saw a version of one in the “As Seen On TV” section of a store not too long ago. Has anybody else seen or tried this? It seems kinda dangerous to me as I know certain techniques have to be used with scaling instruments to not harm the teeth or gums. I wonder what dentists think of this product. I’m sure the home use products are less powerful/effective compared to the expensive medical grade devices dental offices use. I still can’t help but be curious about them though. Thoughts anyone?

I keep seeing these ads on Instagram, also kits like Invisalign type things. I would be concerned about damaging my teeth/gums with the scaler things, and the DIY teeth straightening seems like madness. (But obviously I am not a dentist!)

I have also seen this and was curious about wondering if people might think they could skip regular scaling and cleaning from dentist if they have this?

In the practice I worked at we had a presentation in order to get and stay familiar with all the dental care products our practice used and recommended. The guy introduced their electric tooth brushes and water picks to us as well (even though we recommended another brand to our patients). There was a scaler as well and he seemed to be quite proud to present it as a fantastic device. I remember we were quite surprised and wondered whether he, for a moment had forgotten to be in a room with dental care professionals. We afterwards had a vivid discussion about how damaging an ultra sonic would be in the hands of a lay person. Or maybe it just does nothing besides a little bit of vibration in which case it wouldn't be dangerous, just useless.

I keep seeing these ads on Instagram, also kits like Invisalign type things. I would be concerned about damaging my teeth/gums with the scaler things, and the DIY teeth straightening seems like madness. (But obviously I am not a dentist!)

I have heard horror stories about the mail order invaslign types of services (i.e. Smile Box) where they got it wrong and it created more misalignments with their teeth and then it was a nightmare to correct because you have to go to one of their dentists who may not have an office anywhere near you (they might be in another state). I’m also sure they have you sign some sort of disclaimer releasing them of any responsibility when things go wrong!

I have heard horror stories about the mail order invaslign types of services (i.e. Smile Box) where they got it wrong and it created more misalignments with their teeth and then it was a nightmare to correct because you have to go to one of their dentists who may not have an office anywhere near you (they might be in another state). I’m also sure they have you sign some sort of disclaimer releasing them of any responsibility when things go wrong!

They were talking about this on the news lately. According to some of those companies, they also send their patients to none affiliated dentists who are more local to the patient. They also mentioned none of the orthodontists part of the local Dentists Order were contacted to see patients having issues from their treatment. Kind of worrisome.

I have considered buying one to try myself but for consumer use I would be concerned about a metal tip used with ultrasonic power. I know that if the ultrasonic scaler in my office is misused it can damage the roots. Of course mine has more power but then again it takes little power if used at the same place time and time again to cause surface change.

I have considered buying one to try myself but for consumer use I would be concerned about a metal tip used with ultrasonic power. I know that if the ultrasonic scaler in my office is misused it can damage the roots. Of course mine has more power but then again it takes little power if used at the same place time and time again to cause surface change.

Thank you for your input! I was hoping a dentist would weigh in on this topic. If you do happen to try one, please report back and share your experience.

Back