• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Underwent Apicocectemy today- was very painful!

D

Dealwithb

I had undergone apicoectomy today after three failed RCT's.

It was way painful beyond what I could imagine, kept bawling .

I was given local anaesthesia atleast 10 times ( whenever I was injected, that was the time it hurt the most )

It was 24,25 and 26.

Can any dentist help me understand if this was supposed to be like this ?

I've read articles where it says it in painless or the max you experience is slight discomfort

Thank you

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
I don't know why you want to hear this, but no, it certainly isn't supposed to be like that.

D

Dealwithb

Good lord ,

I'm experiencing pain now too , and it's been 5.5 hours since the procedure!

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dealwithb,

Not a dentist here but wanted to say, I'm so sorry what you went through with this! :grouphug: It sounds physically and emotionally exhausting though . :( :(. I don't even know what to say but I hope your post op pain gets better. and I'm very sorry you went through that.

M

MountainMama

Good lord ,

I'm experiencing pain now too , and it's been 5.5 hours since the procedure!
I have had two apicoectomies. While the procedure was not pleasant, it was not painful. I tend to have difficulty getting numb and staying numb, so I opted to have nitrous oxide for one of the apicos, which was for a molar. I had one on my front tooth and could not have nitrous due to the position of the tooth. It was a long procedure and the shots to numb were painful (especially the palate shot), but once I was numb, it didn’t hurt, but I felt a lot of tugging and pressure.

I will say that the recovery was very slow and hurt for a long time. It was one of the harder recoveries from dental surgeries that I have ever had. The one on my front tooth hurt for months, although it definitely faded and was managed by non prescription pain medicine.

D

Dealwithb

Dealwithb,

Not a dentist here but wanted to say, I'm so sorry what you went through with this! :grouphug: It sounds physically and emotionally exhausting though . :( :(. I don't even know what to say but I hope your post op pain gets better. and I'm very sorry you went through that.
Thank you for the encouraging words :)

D

Dealwithb

I have had two apicoectomies. While the procedure was not pleasant, it was not painful. I tend to have difficulty getting numb and staying numb, so I opted to have nitrous oxide for one of the apicos, which was for a molar. I had one on my front tooth and could not have nitrous due to the position of the tooth. It was a long procedure and the shots to numb were painful (especially the palate shot), but once I was numb, it didn’t hurt, but I felt a lot of tugging and pressure.

I will say that the recovery was very slow and hurt for a long time. It was one of the harder recoveries from dental surgeries that I have ever had. The one on my front tooth hurt for months, although it definitely faded and was managed by non prescription pain medicine.
Yes , I felt heavy pain till the point it got numb.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I hope the healing process doesn't take long .

M

MountainMama

Yes , I felt heavy pain till the point it got numb.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I hope the healing process doesn't take long .
For me, the worst of the recovery was over after the first week. Once the stitches started coming out, it felt much better on the gums, but it would ache and have occasional pain inside, where the bone was drilled.
I am so sorry you had so much pain! I hope your recovery is much easier.

D

Dealwithb

For me, the worst of the recovery was over after the first week. Once the stitches started coming out, it felt much better on the gums, but it would ache and have occasional pain inside, where the bone was drilled.
I am so sorry you had so much pain! I hope your recovery is much easier.
Also, should i be brushing given that I won't be able to open my mouth cause of the pain , or shall I wait for a while ?

And I'm taking 1000mg painkillers as an when needed , when did you stop taking them?

Last edited:
M

MountainMama

Also, should i be brushing given that I won't be able to open my mouth cause of the pain , or shall I wait for a while ?

And I'm taking 1000mg painkillers as an when needed , when did you stop taking them?
I was told to not brush the teeth right around the area for a few days, but to clean them with a cotton swab (Q-tip) and chlorhexidine, which they gave me. So basically wipe them down with a medicated mouth wash. I was supposed to keep them clean though, and brush as normally as I could with my other teeth. Also do salt water rinses after 24 hours. I did the best I could with brushing but it was difficult as I couldn’t open my mouth fully either for almost a week.
I was given 800 mg of ibuprofen the first apico, to take every 6 to 8 hours, but it ended up giving me an ulcer (I had quite a few dental procedures in a row so months of taking ibuprofen).
The second one, I was given a steroid for the swelling, and tramadol for pain, along with Tylenol. I took the tramadol the first four days, alternating with Tylenol, then started taking it just at night or as needed, but kept the tylenol on a regular schedule for at least a week. Then it was just a few times a day.
Oh and expect LOTS of swelling! It gets worse on the 3rd day and didn’t start going down for me until around five days after, and took a week to go away.
Was it on an upper or lower tooth?

D

Dealwithb

I was told to not brush the teeth right around the area for a few days, but to clean them with a cotton swab (Q-tip) and chlorhexidine, which they gave me. So basically wipe them down with a medicated mouth wash. I was supposed to keep them clean though, and brush as normally as I could with my other teeth. Also do salt water rinses after 24 hours. I did the best I could with brushing but it was difficult as I couldn’t open my mouth fully either for almost a week.
I was given 800 mg of ibuprofen the first apico, to take every 6 to 8 hours, but it ended up giving me an ulcer (I had quite a few dental procedures in a row so months of taking ibuprofen).
The second one, I was given a steroid for the swelling, and tramadol for pain, along with Tylenol. I took the tramadol the first four days, alternating with Tylenol, then started taking it just at night or as needed, but kept the tylenol on a regular schedule for at least a week. Then it was just a few times a day.
Oh and expect LOTS of swelling! It gets worse on the 3rd day and didn’t start going down for me until around five days after, and took a week to go away.
Was it on an upper or lower tooth?
You're right , it's difficult to open my mouth !
I'll start rinsing with salt water from tomorrow .

Tomorrow is the third day , let's see how it goes lol
Thank you for sharing your experience , appreciate you taking the time out to reply .

Hope you've recovered well

M

MountainMama

You're right , it's difficult to open my mouth !
I'll start rinsing with salt water from tomorrow .

Tomorrow is the third day , let's see how it goes lol
Thank you for sharing your experience , appreciate you taking the time out to reply .

Hope you've recovered well
Oh yes, mine were done last year so I am all good now. No one ever warned me about how long it takes to recover, though. In fact several of us on here were commenting in a thread about how everything you read online says 3 to 5 days for recovery, which is a total lie.

D

Dealwithb

I don't know why you want to hear this, but no, it certainly isn't supposed to be like that.
Hi Gordon ,

I've attached the post OP x ray pic , can you share your thoughts on it ?

I did visit another dentist today, and she told me looks like the roots haven't been cut off as it should be with apicoectomy.

Two different school of thoughts from the dentist who performed the procedure and the one who did the x ray today

Thanks

Attachments

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Count me with the second dentist, that's really not how I would have done it. I think re-root treating at least one of those teeth would have been better than doing the surgery in the first place.
Sorry.

D

Dealwithb

Makes sense , the good part is I'm not having to take painkillers.

Thanks for the response !