• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

University Project Research

A

ArbitraryDev

Hi all, I have begun my research for my university project, which is regarding solving the problem of getting people who fear going to the dentist/are too lazy to go the dentist/or don't have the money or time for the dentist to.... well, go to the dentist.

I'm trying to gather information on people's varying opinion about a platform I am going to be developing and was hoping that you would be able to help me. I have 6 questions that need answered and they should take between 15-20 seconds to complete.

[out-of-date survey link removed]

I would appreciate if you could all spare those 20 seconds to help me, thank you.

Kind regards,
ArbitraryDev

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, I have begun my research for my university project, which is regarding solving the problem of getting people who fear going to the dentist/are too lazy to go the dentist/or don't have the money or time for the dentist to.... well, go to the dentist.

Hi Dev -

Probably the biggest thing you need to consider when doing this research is that people's reasons for not going to the dentist are varied and complex, and very often there will be far, far, more to it than simple laziness or difficulty with booking an appointment. Take a look around some of the threads on here for an idea of the extent of the barriers that people can face.

To just…well, go to the dentist, for many people is far, far more difficult than you think.

An appointment-booking app might make it technically easier to book dental appointments, sure. It can avoid the need to screw up the courage to phone, which many people do find challenging so I can see how that might help with one specific problem. But that's all it will do - it won't address any of the potential reasons for not going that you listed above.

So my suggestion would be: read around here, listen to what patients are saying, and then consider what things could be done to help.

I hope that helps.

I have to agree with what Tink has said and I doubt that anyone is too lazy to go to the dentist.

I strongly agree with the other posts; laziness is the least of our reasons for avoiding the dentist. I may be lazy in many areas of my life (cleaning, cooking, getting up early), but when it comes to the dentist, I'll do ANYTHING not to go, whether that's never chewing with a sore part of my mouth, eating only soft foods, or putting up with constant mouth pain. It's fear that makes me not want to go, pure and simple (ok, not pure and not simple at all). I avoided the dentist for ten years because I was terrified of hearing that my teeth were untreatable and needed to be removed. To a lesser extent, I also worried about painful treatments, and being judged by the dentist and hygiene assistant (I feared being looked down on for my poor oral jralth , and being thought of as crazy because of my anxiety). Laziness may be a big factor for the general public in avoiding dental care; for those with dental phobia/anxiety, there are so many other factors at work.

Hi guys,
I would like to jump in this important discussion about laziness. Indeed, laziness is not the correct word. Maybe ArbitraryDev actually meant that for the phobic person a dental visit might be a low priority (and not laziness), however by the majority of the phobic people not going to the dentist is a high priority (as Lizd demonstrated with her own personal story).

Thanks Dr Daniel but I have to say that my own experience about not wanting to attend dentists appointments was total fear, but after having said this I was as afraid of not going because I thought that by not going my dental problems would only get worse and more work would need doing. The thought of something happening to my teeth still has me with the hebby jebbies, but not to have a dentist isn't an option for me.

The amount of will power and strength it took me to attend appointments over the last couple of years after suffering at the hands of a nasty and neglectful dentist was enormous.

I really don't think laziness or lack of priority comes into it. It is different for everyone and I can only speak for myself. A lot of courage on both patient and dentist along with a mutual understanding goes a long way for both parties which I think the dentists that come on here understand.

I would like to THANK Dev for making the attempt to understand dental phobia, but it is a complex subject with many many angles. :butterfly:

I got that caught up yesterday I never looked at the survey you wanted us to do. I have just been, how does this help with anxiety and fear of the dentist. From the look of it it isn't anything to do with phobia's it is a survey about an app making it easier to book an appointment. This would be more apt (pun intended) for a busy person to book appointments.

Just wanted to tell you that I wouldn't use the app, because of my phobia. I wouldn't like to have it sitting on my phone, all that time looking at it. Now, on the other hand, if the dentist emailed me, and had a website where I could book, I'd do that. My dogs' vet has that. When they are due for something, I get an email a few weeks ahead of time, and there's a link right there to click and go to a site to schedule an appointment. You enter a few dates/times that will work for you. They find something in the schedule that works based on what you gave, and confirm it. If I didn't have to see anything in the intervening time, and only saw something about it when it was time to deal with it, I'd do that.

You're looking at several different, potentially overlapping causes to an issue, so it might and probably does require several solutions.

Carole,

thank you for your comment. It goes without saying that I agree with you. It also emphasize the need of a dentist or any other therapist to listen to the patient with an open mind and heart, without labelizing or categorizing.

Back