• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with an extreme fear of the dentist or dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Unsure after having Permenent Crowns Fitted

L

luke01

Hi All

Im new here and looking for some advice/reassurance. My natural teeth were in bad shape, miscoloured, cracked, damaged, and some missing, I finally had enough of the embarrasment of having to constantly hide them, it was getting to the stage i would cover my mouth when speaking or laughing.

After a family friend went to a cosmetic dentist he had 7 crowns fitted on the top and he was singing their praises (His teeth werent in as bad condition as mine) So i made an appointment with them originally to see about getting Veneers.

The dentist advised me my teeth wouldnt support veneers as they were too far gone and I occasionally grind my teeth at night so she recommended crowns. First she wanted to take out 4 teeth that were severly damaged to make way for a bridge, I had that done and the afterwards thats when i started thinking ive made a mistake, the 4 empty sockets were/are healing extremly slowly and such was my fear of getting dry socket again I basiclly stopped eating except for two scoops of mashed potato everyday.

4 weeks had passed and it was time to go in for the crown prep which was actually fine, i didnt experiance any discomfort throught that procedure and the temporary crowns though they felt weird and fragile still felt almost natural in my mouth.

Yesterday was my fitting for the permenent crowns, three bridges (i think, maybe one or two of them are individual) containing all top teeth except the last two molars, fitting them was a bit uncomfortable but she modified my bottom teeth slightly for them to be a little more comfortable.

While they look amazing and i have been getting nothing but compliments on them I have some concerns and I just cant find all the answers im looking for by google searches so im hoping some people in similar situations can offer advice.

First of all how they feel, they feel so strange in my mouth, Now i know that is to be expected and will most likely settle down after a few days/weeks and feel more normal but if other people who've had them done could comment and let me know when/if this happened for you.

Eating - Right now I am terrified of eating anything, I have this unrelenting fear that if i eat they will come loose or fall out or get damaged, my diet is not that extreme, usually just chips (fries), beans, sauasges/chicken is my main meal of the day, in the evenings id usually have something simple like beans on toast or maybe a chinese takeaway. anyways i have this fear and im not sure how/when/if it will ever go away so would be greatful if others could share there experiance

chewing - I did experiement with eating a packet of crisps today and what i was not prepared for was how odd it would feel and im not sure how to explain it but food feels different now when chewing, again this is probably something i'll have to get used to but does it ever begin to feel like it did before?

I still think i made the right choice by getting them because its such a dramatic improvment but if people could share some light on my concerns are their own experiances similar to mine it might be more reasurring.

Sorry for the long post, i tend to ramble on

Cheers
Luke

M

MountainMama

I have four implants, and when I first got my crowns placed they felt weird for a few months. Actually, my front tooth crown was placed a little over a year ago and I still worry about it coming loose. It took me almost six months to actually bite with it and it felt strange also. I have noticed that you usually feel pressure against your tooth when you bite but my implants don’t give that feeling. So when I bit with my front teeth, it felt like that tooth wasn’t biting. I have finally gotten to where I can eat normally again but it took a long time.

L

luke01

Thanks for your reply, that is reassuring that eventually you felt comfortable eating normally again, since I wrote the post ive eaten a full meal and while it didnt feel necessarily normal i was able to do it and wasnt actually too worried while eating and its acutally settled me more because even now they feel slightly more normal than they did even a few hours ago, i expect i'll probably need a few weeks to fully get used to them. I might also have to pay another visit to the dentist to get my bite checked as its a bit off on the left side i noticed when attempting to chew. Perhaps they'll feel a bit more normal once thats done

C

champ

I have crowns on almost all my back teeth for anywhere from 26-40 years and I've eaten pretty much everything over the years - including gum (sugarless, i learned my lesson), malted milk balls, sugarless hard candies. (I eat healthy stuff too, I'm just listing things a person might think could dislodge crowns.) The crowns are all still on and none of them have ever been replaced.

I

IZZYBELLY2

I have crowns on almost all my back teeth for anywhere from 26-40 years and I've eaten pretty much everything over the years - including gum (sugarless, i learned my lesson), malted milk balls, sugarless hard candies. (I eat healthy stuff too, I'm just listing things a person might think could dislodge crowns.) The crowns are all still on and none of them have ever been replaced.

Hi Champ, what material are your crowns?

C

champ

Izzybelly2: Porcelain fused to metal. If they ever have to be redone, I'd like all porcelain, except maybe waaay in the back.

I

IZZYBELLY2

Porcelain fused to metal. I'd get porcelain now, though.
Thanks for responding! I’m getting my first crown soon. I hope it lasts as long as yours