• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Upcoming dental work - will it be as terrible as I think?

K

kits

Hi all,

A few days before christmas ago I fainted and broke both my front teeth. The right incisor has a temporary filling (which is discoloured and horrible) and the left incisor is hanging on by a thread. I've tried going to the dentists before but I couldn't even make it into the waiting room - I ended up crying/having a panic attack in the corridor and running away.

I finally made it to the dentists today - the dentist examined my teeth, and told me the bad news. I'm going to need a root canal on the chipped tooth, and an extraction followed by a denture on the broken tooth.

I feel like this is the worst thing that could possible happen to me. I can't stop shaking - I feel weak, and physically ill.

If anyone has any experience with root canals or extractions on central incisors, let me know. I'm desperate for support. I'm not sure how I'm going to get through this.

Thanks so much

I can't tell you about root canals but I have extraction experience having 2 out last Tuesday 2 out on Thursday and 7 out today with just local injections and I had a light whiff of laughing gas today it all went fine each time a little tender now but painkillers working ok even had some yoghurt and a coffee or two just follow the advice afterwards, I wish you well :clover:

I can't tell you about extractions, but I can tell you about root canals since I'm in the middle of root canal treatment on a few teeth at the moment. Although they tend to have a bit of a bad reputation and so people do get worried about having a root canal (usually because they've heard all the 'horror stories'), once your teeth are numb, it's not actually that much different to having a filling :). In other words, there's a couple of minutes of drilling (which if you close your eyes, is just a load of noise and a bit of vibration but no pain), then a bit of fiddling about with files and other bits and pieces, before the canals are filled and a permanent filling or crown is placed on top.

It does take quite a bit longer than a normal filling, but once your teeth are numb, you shouldn't be able to feel anything. Sometimes a root canal is done in one appointment and some dentists prefer to do it over two appointments, but whether you have one appointment or two, the process is pretty much the same. Afterwards, the tooth is likely to be sore for a few days (nothing that can't be sorted out with painkillers), so it's a good idea to stick to soft foods to give your tooth a chance to settle down. Some people find that an ice pack helps, but personally I prefer a heat pad (it depends on what feels best for you I suppose :)).

I have heard stories about people falling asleep during root canal treatment because they find it a bit boring, so if you're lucky, it could be a good excuse for an hour or so's sleep time :p!

We have some more information about root canals here:

Good luck! :clover::clover::clover:

I finally made it to the dentists today - the dentist examined my teeth, and told me the bad news. I'm going to need a root canal on the chipped tooth, and an extraction followed by a denture on the broken tooth.

Sorry to hear about your accident but it's going to be fine. I can tell you from personal expereince that both the root canal and the extraction should be painfree. In fact the extraction should be really easy since you said it was hanging by a thread in your first post. The key to stressfree dental treatment is being properly numbed up.

The only thing I would add is that if you can afford it, it would be better to replace the extracted front tooth with an implant. Your dentist probably doesn't do these but it should be mentioned as it is the option most dentists would choose for themselves in this situation. If in UK NHS wouldn't cover this either but you could ask for a private referral. The reason an implant is better is because it would feel pretty much like your original tooth and the bone would be preserved.
Best wishes.

Hi and well done on plucking up the courage to get your teeth fixed. If the teeth are well numbed then neither the root canal nor the extraction should hurt though they may be tender later.
Getting rid of a badly broken tooth will also spare you the risk of infection from the breakage so you're doing the right thing.
You should make enquiries about the alternative s to a denture, not many people like wearing a denture and it can harm your confidence. Ask about implants, conventional and adhesive bridges, your dentist should be able to tell you which are suitable for you.

I've had plenty of extractions but not an incisor..But alot of people on here have when they get all their teeth pulled for dentures. It should be fine...You will be numb...Best of luck...

I have had more than one root canal and I always thought the novocaine shot was the worst part. You shouldn't feel a thing. Sometimes the stress of worry about these things are worse than the procedure itself:) Best of luck!

Back