• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Upcoming Oral Surgery

P

Paige2018

A bit of back story. I had a botched root canal (tooth #3 - top right 1st molar) about 10-11 years ago where the endo went through the apex of the tooth and punctured my sinuses. I ended up having to go to a second endo to have them fix the botched one a few days later (after having spent the rest of the afternoon in the ER to stop the profuse bleeding from my sinuses). Fast forward to about a year and a half ago. I began having severe tooth pain in this same tooth (#3), and went back to a new endo because my endo that fixed everything before (and has done multiple other RCT on me retired). He decided that I needed a retreat on this tooth (and over the following month and a half, had to have a total of 3 retreats (#3, #5, and #31). Needless to say that was not a fun time in my life.
Fast forward again to last week. I started having a lot of pain when releasing bite, and prayed a lot hoping it would calm down, and when it didn't, I went to my dentist on Saturday, and found out what I suspected...a fractured tooth-in the root (I am also including a photo of the xray).
Now, I have an appointment with my oral surgeon on Tuesday morning for IV sedation and extraction of #3. There are moments that I am excited to have it done and know that it will fix the problem with that tooth, but there are more moments that I am absolutely terrified and beyond nervous for the pain after the procedure. I do not have a very high pain tolerance, and I do not take pain medication, outside of Tylenol/Advil. *Please do not tell me about how it is ok to take pain medicine if I need it, because it is a personal conviction to not take these drugs*. Additionally, I am a smoker (yes, I know how bad it is for me, and that I should stop), and I know that I can not even think about smoking for at least the first 72 hours (and I am prepared-I have purchased the nicotine patch to help me be able to not smoke after the procedure).
Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to help with the healing process, and maybe some other "old-wives tale" type pain relieving things that I can do to help me through the first few days? Thank you so much!

Attachments

• xray.pdf
    90.9 KB · Views: 10
Avoiding smoking for as long as you can before and after will be a big help as far as healing goes.

With regards to pain, it is unlikely to be anywhere near the same scale as tooth ache you’ve experienced in the past. I only ever recommend Ibuprofen/paracetamol to my patients and it’s an extremely effectively combination for post extraction pain, I know from experience!

Focus on the excitement you mentioned about it being sorted!

You should be perfectly fine taking Tylenol/Advil. Doctors actually recommend going with those medications over taking opioids and it a majority of cases, it's enough. This plus properly following all the instructions given post-op, should keep you in the clear of bad pain.

Well, I had the oral surgery, and they extracted #3, and now I have another tooth that I knew had a small crack hurting really bad. I guess over the past couple of years the crack got worse, and when the pain of #3 was gone due to the tooth being extracted, this one flared up. I am beside myself right now because I can not afford another extraction. I am just a hot mess right now.

Glad you went through with the surgery, sorry to hear that you are feeling anxious about the pain flaring up in another tooth. If I read correctly your surgery was on 9/3? Is the tooth that is hurting near by the extracted tooth? If so then maybe you are still tender from the surgery (it can feel like the pain moved to other near by teeth). Hopefully that is the case and it will quite down after you have had more time to heal.

Glad you went through with the surgery, sorry to hear that you are feeling anxious about the pain flaring up in another tooth. If I read correctly your surgery was on 9/3? Is the tooth that is hurting near by the extracted tooth? If so then maybe you are still tender from the surgery (it can feel like the pain moved to other near by teeth). Hopefully that is the case and it will quite down after you have had more time to heal.
Unfortunately, it is another tooth that is fractured worse than we initially thought. I have a treatment plan to get it extracted as well, but financially I could not afford it. I’m hoping to be able to save up in the next 2 1/2 weeks to be able to get this one extracted. Additionally, I still am not able to rinse with salt water or anything, that will happen on Monday, but my mouth feels raw and my lips are so raw as well.

Paige2018.

Just wanted to say.. aghh.. so sorry you are now dealing with another issue so soon after you got the other taken care of.. :(.. and the financial part really stinks too... thinking of you.. :grouphug:

Not sure if you are in the US but many offices accept CareCredit. It sounds like it would work in your situation since you only need an advance for a couple of weeks. I hope things go well for you and you find some relief soon.

Not sure if you are in the US but many offices accept CareCredit. It sounds like it would work in your situation since you only need an advance for a couple of weeks. I hope things go well for you and you find some relief soon.
Yes, I am in the US. Unfortunately I do not qualify for care credit because I currently do not have a job. Of course I got laid off right before all of this happened and without a job you cannot get CareCredit. I really wish I could. Luckily, after talking with my oral surgeons office today, they are going to let me pay half upfront and make payments on the remaining balance so that I can get it taken care of, but unfortunately they cannot get me in for 2 1/2 weeks. I am just praying for relief and healing so that I can be prepared when that time comes.

So glad your oral surgeons are letting you make payments. I know how it is with care credit I don't qualify either and my dentist has been very gracious with payment arrangements thankfully. . Sorry about the untimely layoff too .

Back