• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

B

Beccaa

So.. I have not written or been on here in a long time and feel like it helped a lot in the past and don't know why not!

Here is my full background.

However!! Yesterday I did a big thing and had my first extraction under general anaesthetic (which filled me with more fear than the dental work). However I was pleasantly surprised and all was fine when I came round. This was a lower molar tooth and I'm now petrified of getting dry socket!!? I'm following the steps but I'm too scared/worried when eating and swallowing? As I feel that the swallowing kind of feels like a sucking sensation??

Could do with some reassurance on this ? The nurse said that I wouldn't know if I dislodged the clot at first and between day 2-4 is when it would hurt if I got it. I'm back to work on Monday and I'm so worried!!!

I am proud that I have had this done though and will know what to expect when the others need to come out.

Thanksxx

Try not to worry. Dry socket is rare. I'm sure you're healing just fine, especially if you're doing everything correctly. I just had an extraction done two days ago and if anyone will get dry socket it's me because I've been vaping today lol. Hang in there, you're through the worst of it. ?

Try not to worry. Dry socket is rare. I'm sure you're healing just fine, especially if you're doing everything correctly. I just had an extraction done two days ago and if anyone will get dry socket it's me because I've been vaping today lol. Hang in there, you're through the worst of it. ?

Ah thank you for this!! It's pretty much day 4 now and I think I'm in the clear!! I'm still very paranoid about it and I've been researching how it should look due to the whiteish stuff on the site but looking online this is just the way it heals!.. ah good luck with your healing too, hope it goes smoothly :).

Thanks! Healing is going well on my end and it sounds like you're in the clear. I have funky colors at my extraction site too lol. As long as there's no redness, swelling, oozing, odors, etc, you're good! ?

Thanks! Healing is going well on my end and it sounds like you're in the clear. I have funky colors at my extraction site too lol. As long as there's no redness, swelling, oozing, odors, etc, you're good! ?

Ah that's good to hear!! :) oh okay so should all be normal. It is a bit swollen on the gums and like it looks really gross, but I'm thinking if there was an infection it would hurt a lot more, as there is barely any pain now.

Don't look in your mouth lol. I say this as someone with anxiety disorder, so I know nothing good comes from it. ? It's normal for it to look gross. The skin will be whitish as it heals. If there was an infection there would be redness, foul smell, possibly a discharge. Swelling is normal though. It would be abnormal if it had any of the other symptoms with it.

I'm still actually in quite a lot of pain. It almost makes me wonder if I do have dry socket. It's manageable with ibuprofen and Vicodin, but the pain radiates up my jaw, into my ear, and into the top of my head without it. Who knows though. It was supposed to be a routine extraction of my wisdom teeth, but the bottom one had an extra root, so he he spent 20 minutes digging the root out and drilled my jaw.

Anyway, it sounds like you're healing great! I wouldn't worry too much.

Don't look in your mouth lol. I say this as someone with anxiety disorder, so I know nothing good comes from it. ? It's normal for it to look gross. The skin will be whitish as it heals. If there was an infection there would be redness, foul smell, possibly a discharge. Swelling is normal though. It would be abnormal if it had any of the other symptoms with it.

I'm still actually in quite a lot of pain. It almost makes me wonder if I do have dry socket. It's manageable with ibuprofen and Vicodin, but the pain radiates up my jaw, into my ear, and into the top of my head without it. Who knows though. It was supposed to be a routine extraction of my wisdom teeth, but the bottom one had an extra root, so he he spent 20 minutes digging the root out and drilled my jaw.

Anyway, it sounds like you're healing great! I wouldn't worry too much.

Haha! I know I shouldn't but I just can't help myself! It makes me feel safe to know it still looks the same or similar. Okay well that's good to know! Yeah yesterday I thought maybe it was infected as it was more swollen and I had an awful taste and felt groggy.. but after last nights salt rinse it looks a lot cleaner and the white bits look more attatched to the gum rather than loose if that makes sense and I feel better.

Aw no ouchy! Mine didn't hurt much without pain killers really, but perhaps the extra digging/drilling has hurt your jaw, but maybe go check it out with the dentist? If it is dry socket a lot of people have said they can relieve the pain in minutes with the treatment! And you don't want to pro-long the healing I suppose. But they might just suggest keep taking the pain relief :). Thanks for your support! :) hope you heal quickly

Back