• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Upper gum line sensitive to pressure... no abscess?

C

canadese

Hi all!

I have what I think might be a filling that is too high in one of my front canines (though, of course, I'm not a dentist). I've had the filling for a few years now. The tooth itself is not sensitive to hot or cold, and it doesn't hurt to eat, nor when I tap it. I went to the dentist in November sure that I would need a root canal, but she took an x-ray and told me that there was no sign of infection.

However, I have a weird sort of pressure feeling, not pain, exactly, but a bit of discomfort and tenderness that goes from the upper gum right under my nose to that tooth when I press in that area on my cheek.

Any idea what this could be? Is there a chance that my dentist is wrong and it is an abscess after all? It's been like this for months, and it doesn't seem to get worse. It might have gotten a little better recently when I was sick for several days and couldn't eat. The tooth is noticeable longer than the equivalent tooth on the other side. I was at the dentist today for something else, and she took an x-ray of that side of my mouth to look at the tooth next to this one and didn't say anything about it.

I don't know if it's relevant, but I'm epileptic and have seizures that involve a lot of pressure on my teeth.

Hi WELCOME to the forum :jump::jump::jump:

It could be that you do make your tooth ache due to the pressure you place on your teeth when having a seizure. If your dentist has taken x rays and had a good look it might just be that you have to wait for something to show up.

Could there be a crack in the tooth under the gum, sometimes you can have a crack and it will be so small that it doesn't show on an x ray. Do you know your dentist well and trust them. If you have any doubts then get a second opinion, you may be able to get one from another dentist at the practice if there are any. If not ask your dentist to check again.

All the best to you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Thank you, that was very helpful! I'm going back to the dentist tomorrow and I will get her to check again. The feeling isn't pain, it's just pressure with I press on the upper gum line. Since it feels better between seizures and when I haven't eaten for a while, I'm hoping that it's just a pressure thing and is reversible... but maybe that's just wishful thinking! The fact that the tooth itself feels completely fine and hasn't changed in six months—it doesn't hurt when I tap it, it feels cold when I place ice on it (yes, I have been obsessing about this!), also gives me hope. Maybe my bite needs to be adjusted, too. We'll see, I guess, though I'm very anxious :cry::cry:

Hi WELCOME to the forum :jump::jump::jump:

It could be that you do make your tooth ache due to the pressure you place on your teeth when having a seizure. If your dentist has taken x rays and had a good look it might just be that you have to wait for something to show up.

Could there be a crack in the tooth under the gum, sometimes you can have a crack and it will be so small that it doesn't show on an x ray. Do you know your dentist well and trust them. If you have any doubts then get a second opinion, you may be able to get one from another dentist at the practice if there are any. If not ask your dentist to check again.

All the best to you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Good luck for tomorrow :clover::clover::clover: let us know how you get on please :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::butterfly:

Hello again! Just to update you, some great things came of my appointment yesterday.

First, I had my dentist review the x-ray of the tooth and carefully reexamine the tooth itself. She said that the pulp looks perfectly healthy and that there are absolutely no signs of cracks in the tooth or in the root. She had another dentist in the practice come over and take a look, too. She said that there is no sign of swelling, and the location of my discomfort is in line with where it would be with normal chewing forces and that she sees it frequently, even in people who don't have issues with clenching/grinding/seizures/etc. Just to be careful, she suggested considering getting a crown on that tooth when I can afford it, since the tooth already has a filling in it so is weakened and COULD crack in the future. I will probably get it soon, since I would rather pay for a crown than for an extraction and implant should something go wrong!

Second, I went to a different dentist earlier in the week because I had a bad toothache that popped up over night (that turned out to be related to weird nerve issues caused by medications I'm on) and my regular dentist wasn't in the office. She said she saw a tiny cavity that "didn't present visually" but could be been when she zoomed up on the x-ray (though she had to take TWO sets of x-rays to see it!) and suggested that I get it fixed with my normal dentist, but when my dentist looked yesterday, she said that it was nothing.:grin:

Third, I've been putting off getting all of my teeth checked because I've been afraid of what my dentist will find (stupid, I know). It just causes me so much anxiety. So yesterday, I flat-out told my dentist that I was scared, and she said that she would look then and there. And guess what? NO CAVITIES! :scared: I was truly shocked! This is almost a first for me! I'm young, but I have genetically bad teeth, osteoporosis, and a host of issues related to medications, so my teeth are in bad shape despite my best efforts. I'm very happy. :)

Please excuse the long message, and thanks again!

Good luck for tomorrow :clover::clover::clover: let us know how y

ou get on please :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::butterfly:

WhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooooooooo :respect::respect::respect::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: good for you.

Well done you. It is much better when we talk to our dentist and explain how we feel they are very good at helping us, aren't they ;)

I am so pleased for you that you did this and that you are now so happy. I can make my front teeth hurt sometimes but this is because I clench and sometimes I put pressure on my front teeth. I think your having osteoporosis and your other health complaints will have some impact as your dentist said.

All the best to you I think you were very brave, and it paid off :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::dance::dance2::dance2::dance2::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::cheers::yayy::perfect::butterfly:

Back