• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Upper partial plate wearing away?!

M

Meliskaaa

Ive had this particular upper partial plate since August and it seems to be getting thinner and bits of it on the edges seem to be wearing away... it feels quite sharp when i run my tongue along it... whats going on is it going to snap?

The dentist gave me the original mould should i get another one made up just in case?! Or can my dentist do anything about it? Is this normal?!

Hello
Dentures should not be sharp nor should it get thinner.
You should return to your dentist and find out together how to fix it.

I went today and asked and was told its because i dont use anything to keep it in place during the day?! So it pushes up and moves about when im eating?! Is this right?!

Hi Meliskaaa,
Sometimes it is necessary to use an adhesive to hold a denture in place; and this will stop it from moving about. But, I would find it hard to believe that since August it has worn away and become thinner because of this. Equally it should not be rough to the tongue (your dentist should at least be able to smooth this off for you).
What has you dentist suggested as the solution to the problem?
Did you have a few teeth removed before the denture was made?

I had 2 teeth removed before it was made...

My last one broke so many times i asked them to make it thicker and they have its just feels sharp on my tongue!

They havent suggested anything?! This is why i am asking ... i can see little cracks in the plate where it is sharp and they said if i want a brand new one cos i am due to have just one more tooth out i have to pay £250! But surely if its wearing away they can make me a new one for free lol?!

Not sure about making one for free ...but you can always suggest it :)
I am thinking why your last denture kept breaking. Do you grind your teeth? Are you a bruxist?
You could suggest to you dentist to have the tooth added onto your current denture and have it relined (a new fitting base added - this can be done at the lab).
The relining MAY help with the movement that you get at the moment. This may also thicken the denture further and help with the cracking issues. I would point to the areas where the denture is rough and ask for them to be smooth off in the surgery.
Hope that all helps.

I dont think i grind my teeth...?!

Thank you David will have a word with my dentist and see what they can do for me... :)

Your welcome
Hope it all goes well Meliskaaa

Back