• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Upper wisdom teeth extraction healing process

C

CSS991

Hello there, I have recently removed my non-impacted upper wisdom teeth around 30 hours ago. Did this at local dentist, got the numbing shots and two teeth pulled. Each had three roots. I have questions regarding my healing process. Firstly, I don't feel pain with eating and feel like I can resume to normal food anytime now. I am just worried my blood clots would fall out. I have braces as well. And would like to use my waterpik for flossing but not sure if this will cause dry socket. So how long before tissue covers up the blood clot so I don't have to worry about getting dry socket and return to normal drinking/eating/oral hygeine(with mouthwash rinsing) habits? If it is 3 days, can I start brushing normally, using waterpik, eating normally and drinking hot coffee once again?

Would appreciate any help, thanks.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

You can eat normally as soon as you feel able. You can brush and floss just be careful around the extraction sites, make sure you don't knock them.

Start salt water rinses now if you haven't already, warm water with a teaspoon of salt in it, don't spit the water out. let it dribble out as sucking and spitting can cause the clots to dislodge.

The waterpik might be a bit tricky, I would wait for at least 72 hours I don't know if a dentist would say that this would be okay but I wouldn't.

I drunk coffee the day after so you should be fine with that.

I hope this helps, all the best to you :butterfly:

Thanks a lot Carole! You answered most my of my questions. I'm just confused if I eat normal food and drink coffee will my blood clot fall out? If not I'm brushing and flossing gently so I'm all good! :)

No eating and drinking will not cause the clot to fall out. Sucking on a straw might cause this to happen or spitting when rinsing but as long as you eat on the other side you will be fine. I would not have boiling hot coffee but other than that you should be fine.

Once you get to 72 hours after extraction you are usually safe from dry socket. If you did get dry socket it can easily be treated and the dentist can give you almost instant relief.

I think you will be fine though. :butterfly:

Back