• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

upset, irritated, disillusioned

Z

zombiegroupie

I haven't posted much but, my basic story is that I've had some very bad (even violent) dental experiences and as such, avoid it as much as possible. I don't mind cleanings or other things but I hate to be numb and I hate having my mouth open for any long length of time (related to past abuse)

I found a dentist who is a therapist/dentist and is supposed to cater to people with phobias. So I saw him recently where he said I needed 2 extractions and some fillings and he also gave me a silver flouride treatment on early cavities.

well one of my broken teeth has chipped more and is now just a couple of sharp pieces sticking out of the gum and he says he won't extract it and has to refer me out.

this is upsetting to me because I went through telling him all of my painful histories and fear and he said he could do my work, I was just coming around to the idea and now he's sending me elsewhere.

Also said he would extract my bottom molar and is now saying he can save it with a $2600 root canal.

I am so tired of crap dentists. I really am.

Hi sorry you can't get this dentist to do the work. Did you ask why he couldn't ?

It could be that the person he has referred you to will be better placed to deal with the teeth that he can't do.

I understand how frustrating to put your trust in someone and explain things for them to pass the buck so to speak. It could be a good thing though because I would rather be referred on if someone thinks they can't deal with an oral problem than try and fail at it. Which would probably cause us both distress.

You don't have to have a rct if you don't want as it is your choice, but if you can afford it and he is confident about doing it then I would try and save the tooth. It does have to be your choice though and if you really don't want to do it then don't.

If you don't have any faith or trust in this dentist then find another and get a second or even third opinion.

Let us know how you get on please :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::hug5::butterfly:

thank you Carole for your reply :)

I made an appointment for Monday to see my dad's dentist, he was also my dentist when I was younger but after my phobia was re triggered I didn't want to see him again, however I think he has performed many extraction for my dad and this way I can avoid having to see oral surgeon if it's not really necessary (they charge a lot more even with insurance!)

I am just sad, and stressed out. Afraid to eat much in case any other teeth break more or start toothache :(

I almost thought I'd be happy if I just died and not have to worry anymore

I have been where you are now in feeling that death is preferable to seeing the dentist. There is light at the end of the tunnel, see what your dads dentist has to say.

If it is easier print out your post on here and hand it to the dentist, this will save you trying to remember what you want to say, or write another letter for him/her to read.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: let us know how you get on please :butterfly::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back