• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

urgent advice following wisdom tooth extraction

M

merlin82

I had my top right wisdom tooth removed 48 hours ago under iv sedation. It was a straight forward extraction with straight roots. During procedure i remember a very painful injection and also a sharp pain on the roof of my mouth as they took tooth out. My mum was with me during procedure and remembers the dentist saying 'sorry' as if something slipped (instrument maybe) The afternoon after extraction i could hardly swallow due to pain on the roof of my mouth. 48 hours later it is still very tender. The wound where tooth came out seems to be healing fine. I looked in my mouth today and i have extensive bruising around the site and half of the roof of my mouth, this radiates down my throat past my tonsils. I can swallow normally but it is tender. Is this amount of bruising to be expected and should the bruising radiate down my throat. Also why is the roof of my mouth so sore? is it from the injection, from the dentist slipping and briusing me or is it normal from an extraction?
many thanks in advance

Hiyer, I had my top right wisdom tooth removed yesterday morning, with local anaesthetics. I too have a 'raw feeling' area which is red and painful on the roof of my mouth - don't know about bruising as it might be too early to tell. It was the first thing I felt when the feeling came back yesterday afternoon, and it hurts when I swallow. I do know that there was a problem with one of the injections that went into the roof of the mouth, because I can recall the moment clearly. Just as the dentist was half way through the injection something went down my throat and as there was so much in my mouth with his hands and the suction thing I was unable to cough and started gagging a bit. As I did that I moved up, very suddenly, as a reflex action, from a lying position and clearly caused him a somewhat nervous moment. He said, very politely, that it wasn't a good time to move (then he sternly, I thought, told the nurse to watch the back of my mouth). So part of your problem could be from the injection site. I'm afraid I can't comment on the bruising, but I do have a sore throat today too. Maybe someone else will be able to offer some more advice ? I guess the key is though, is there improvement to your problem ?

I had 3 wisdom teeth extracted on Tuesday and while I can't speak to the bruising I do have issues swallowing due to tenderness. I wouldn't worry about that at all. I do hope someone will be able to answer your question about the roof of your mouth. Good luck!

You could get in touch with your dental practice and explain how you are feeling and ask about the bruising, they will either reasure you over the phone or ask you to go in and let the dentist have a look. Either way you will get your mind put to rest. It's not worth all the worry for the sake of a phone call.

thank you for replies. I have been to dentist again today and it seems to be from an injury caused by a slip of the dentist tool. It is a lot better today, the bruising is settling. Thanks again x

As painful as it is, it is good that your dentist was able to reasure you. GET WELL SOON, HAPPY HEALING. :XXLhug:

Back