• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

URGENT: How severe is sinus infection?

T

t-dubs

So half of a molar tooth broke off and because of the severity, I have to get it extracted.

Today, I went to an oral surgeon who saw that there was also an infection that reached the sinus. He gave me two options: to just get the tooth extracted (covered by insurance) or to clean the infection and get a bone graft where he would add artificial bone. (+$495.)

So I called my local dentist and he says that the infection isn't anything to be concerned about and he doesn't recommend paying extra. He says this is usually for if you want implants later on. Does anyone have similar experience or knowledge on this topic? I'm kinda freaking out and have to decide by tomorrow.

If I just get the tooth extracted without dealing with the infection, will it get more intense? What will be some consequences of leaving the sinus infection untreated? Will it continue to spread even after the tooth is extracted?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but this sounds serious and I'm jumping to conclusions about my health. (I'm a bit of a hypochondriac.)

hi
i can't answer about the bone graft, but i have had antibiotics before for a sinus infection. are you in pain with the tooth? if not i would say go to your doctor, get some antibiotics get the sinus infection sorted and then get the tooth pulled.

but, you must do what you feel is right.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am not in pain but I have to get the extraction tomorrow- I'm leaving for college this weekend and I can't put it off any longer. As for the antibiotics, does a doctor prescribe it or the dentist?

which tooth is it?

I assume you are young so grafting bone has it's advantages long term. There are bone grafting materials that last a very long time so even if you don't get an implant during your college years that would be available later if you choose.

Thank you for your reply!

It's a molar in the upper left of my mouth. I decided not to get it mainly because implants are expensive. I think I'll just stick to a bridge. Are bridges reliable or do they have consequences in the future?

Bridges and implants are two very different things.

I am not a dental professional but I can tell you the experiences of my family since they have both.

Bridges are literally what they sound like, a filler of a gap between two teeth. The teeth on either side of the gap are filed down in order to accept the crowns for the bridge. So, natural teeth on either side are affected. In the hands of a good dentist and with teeth in good condition this shouldn't be an issue. My grandmother for example, has had a bridge on her bottom front that replaced severely crowded sticking out teeth (she said one was exposed slightly over her lip when she closed her mouth) for a very long time without issue.

Implants, while more expensive, don't pose this reshaping on the surrounding teeth. They also encourage the bone to stay and grow in your jaw since apparently your body thinks once you have a tooth pulled it's not stimulating that bone and your body seems to think you don't need that bone there so much anymore. That's why many people need bone grafts when they get implants. While they may be pricey, my uncle told me it wasn't anything major. He has had implants for several years and told me they were easy to get in and the only down side was the metal post while they were healing before he could get the crown. He chose implants as he didn't want his other natural teeth filed down to accept the crowns.

Also keep in mind some people may not be good candidates for implants or may have to sort out of other health issues first. For my case, I need to get my calcium to stop bouncing around like a pinball on speed as that affects my bones for me to be a much better candidate for implants. It's something I hope to sort out soon. :)

Both my grandmother and uncle are happy with their teeth and it is a personal decision on what you want to have done. As I can only offer you information from what happened to my family I would highly encourage you to look into it yourself. A good dentist with a lot of experience handling whatever you chose is a must so whatever you chose don't rush into it and feel comfortable with your choice.

Back