• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

urgent questions please sorry for long post-need urgent extractions

O

overcame_1t

Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Messages
49
HELP! please

I am an NHS patient with the CDS.
In June I had an X-ray which showed a big infected cyst at the base of the root of a bottom molar. I also have an infected lower wisdom tooth and an upper infected molar. The bottom molar with the cyst feels full and flares up sometimes.
I have had these sore teeth since the beginning of the year, and I know I should have got them seen to earlier, but I have learnt my lesson, and am now seeing the dentist regularly, and I cannot turn back the clock.

There were further delays, because I missed a couple of consultations with the dental surgeon in July and August because I thought one was cancelled and I went to the hospital instead of the dental clinic for the consultation therefore missing the consultation.

I eventually had the consultation on 11th September, and the consultant looked at my X-ray from June and told me what was wrong. In the consultation, I forgot to tell the surgeon that I have a weakened immune system, because I am withdrawing from benzodiazepines and my benzodiazapine addiction support worker said that people withdrawing from benzodiazapines are at more at risk of infections. I have had a couple of flare ups with it since so it could already have worsened.
The only antibiotic I can use is metronidazole (flagyl) because quinolone antibiotics worsen my withdrawal symptoms.
No further surgery was planned because I wanted to see if I could get the teeth taken out with a local ansesthetic at my local CDS rather than travelling to the Oral Surgery for general anaesthetic, so my file was closed.

I saw the CDS last Tuesday for a filling, and asked for a re-referral to the consultant. I forgot to tell the CDS dentist that I have a weakened immune system. On Tuesday they wrote a referral letter to the oral surgeon but the fact that I have a weakened immune system was not noted, due to me also forgetting to tell the CDS. Nerves make me absent minded, and also absent mindedness is also a symptom of benzodiazapine withdrawal symptoms.

The oral surgery told me the soonest they could do the extractions is December or possibly later, as I would need another consultation. This is because they are fully booked, and obviously, I cannot wait until then as the risk of infection would be too great, as in it may spread around my body or infect the bone.

I need these extractions doing urgently, and I have just had an unexpected large tax rebate, so am considering trying to find a private local dental surgeon.
Will the private surgeon be able to do the work quicker, or will they just refer me to the hospital to wait. Is there any way I could ask them before they start treatment. The cyst is pretty big and near the bone. I am very afraid that the infection will spread to dangerous levels if I wait till December.

Please help a very worried person

thank you in appreciation
 
You can only get GA in a hospital environment in the UK. If you are willing to try just with local, suggest you get back to CDS dentist - would have thought they could squeeze you back in given the risk. I expect it is the GA aspect you are on a waiting list for. You don't say why you asked to be referred back.
If it is straightforward enough to do with just local, then I'd recommend you let the CDS dentist do it. You could opt to go to a private local dentist though so long as they feel they don't need to refer you.

If you wanted to do it with I/V sedation, then there are private dentists who offer this.
You might be able to see an oral surgeon through BUPA (as a non-member), they would be able to do with GA but would be in BUPA hospital. It would be quite costly though.

Good luck.
 
Last edited:
thank you for your speedy reply

My CDS said that I could have the teeth taken out under local, but it would need to be a surgeon at the hospital that did it. This is because of the cyst at the base of the tooth root, and the risk of further infection.

The oral surgery unit at the hospital said that the waiting list is for both local and general anaesthetics.
I cannot have IV sedation as I am a tranquiliser addict in withdrawal, so extra benzodiazapines on top of my dose would mess up my taper.

I want local anaesthetic because general requires me not to eat for six hours, and I get panic attacks if I dont eat for more than two (another benzo withdrawal symptom)

You could opt to go to a private local dentist though so long as they feel they don't need to refer you.
How would I know that they would need to refer me, could I send them an email, or pop in and see them before I start any treatment or pay any money?

thank you
 
It sounds like it needs an actual oral surgeon rather than General dentist because of complexity.
If the risk of infection is really so great, you should be getting some kind of priority from CDS I would have thought....could you ask to go on a late cancellation list?
Private oral surgeon through BUPA would still be an option probably..no reason why they can't just work with local. Local would be much cheaper than GA but the surgeon would have to be willing to do it after a consult. It's not sth you can agree on with just a phone call.

You could also look for a private dentist who has a visiting oral surgeon...this is actually quite a common arrangement. Usually they mention this on websites. You'd have to ring around or ask CDS surgeon to suggest someone which might make them bump you up list?

Whereabouts are you? There are practices in London listed on the Dentistfinder with visiting oral surgeons.
 
It sounds like it needs an actual oral surgeon rather than General dentist because of complexity.
If the risk of infection is really so great, you should be getting some kind of priority from CDS I would have thought....could you ask to go on a late cancellation list?
Private oral surgeon through BUPA would still be an option probably..no reason why they can't just work with local. Local would be much cheaper than GA but the surgeon would have to be willing to do it after a consult. It's not sth you can agree on with just a phone call.

You could also look for a private dentist who has a visiting oral surgeon...this is actually quite a common arrangement. Usually they mention this on websites. You'd have to ring around or ask CDS surgeon to suggest someone which might make them bump you up list?

Whereabouts are you? There are practices in London listed on the Dentistfinder with visiting oral surgeons.
I am in Chippenham Wiltshire.
I am really scared because although I know I have neglected my teeth, I feel that the increased vulnerability to infection, plus the weakened immunity system could pose a serious threat to my health even my life.
 
I'm not sure if this information will help you out at all, but let me just say that you're probably not going to die for a large length of time. I've had four infected teeth for over 6 years, and new infections growing presently. The infections in my teeth have flared up and gone into hibernation many times over the last few years. I went to a dentist once and they x-rayed my mouth and found only one infection! It was a bad x-ray, of course. They refused to work on me because my blood pressure was way too high. It still is, and I still haven't done anything to help myself.

To top it off, I've been addicted to narcotics for three years, on top of smoking at least a pack of cigarettes every day. My immune system couldn't be in worse shape, I'm sure.. who knows why I'm not dead, but I'm not, and you probably wont die either because of this. The symptoms you describe, I've been experiencing for as I said, for over six years. Give yourself a break, you'll survive if you manage to get the teeth removed.
 
If you have cysts around the roots then the infection is largely contained by the cyst process, your body is quite an amazing bit of machinery, it goes to great lengths to protect itself.

I don't think there is any particular reason for you to worry about this and waiting until December doesn't pose you any extra risk at all.

The OS department may operate a "stand by" system for patients who can come in at very short notice, I know that we do, so that may be another option for you.
 
Back
Top