• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

URGENT! Worked myself up into a state, currently waiting for deep cleaning for perio!

D

Dannyo

URGENT! Worked myself up into a state, currently waiting for deep cleaning for perio!

Hi so first time poster here, sorry if I mess up with anything in this post!

Some background, so I'm 17 and all throughout my childhood I've had a fairly regular case of gingivitis that's been entirely manageable but I've pretty much gone through different years of not really taking care of my teeth.

So last december was the most recent time I actually went to get a hygienist cleaning and in that time I've been smoking fairly heavily and also haven't been keeping up my dental hygiene at all (occasionally not brushing at all, never flossing and mostly brushing once a day) in the time since. I recently had a scare where it felt like a couple of my back bottom molars felt loose and incredibly sensitive a few weeks back and I decided to actually do something about my bad habits! First I got to the dentist after a week of waiting that made me feel incredibly paranoid about my teeth/gum condition (two more teeth started feeling loose and pressure sensitive), where the dentist took several x-rays and measured my pockets. The result, a 6 and a 7 right next to each other at the front, a 3 and a 5 at one end of the bottom jaw and a general case of early/moderate periodontitis across the mouth.

The dentist explained that my teeth were in decent condition and that none were actually loose, and that my problem was from a case of moderate periodontitis in my gums. The worst thing is my mouth feels painful/sensitive enough to where I don't quite believe her. The earliest deep clean appointment they had was the 30th of August which at the time felt like a year away but now at least is only just over a week away.

I've started flossing with a waterpik, brushing twice a day and rinsing with warm water before and after every meal/cigarette. I've also drastically cut down the amount of sugars and carbohydrates I consume and haven't gone an hour with a dry mouth so far. I've even gone so far as to nearly stop smoking which should lead to stopping regularly smoking starting from tomorrow. The problem is another two molars on the other side of my bottom jaw feel really similarly painful/sensitive/loose to how my other "loose" teeth felt and I'm scared stiff that this means they're gonna be beyond saving in 8 days when I see the hygienist. Both of the teeth have quite heavily receding gums and one of them has a particular spot of redness around the gum at the back.

Am I going to make it until next wednesday considering the fact that my current gum condition is somewhat painful and quite sensitive to heat (also a little bit sensitive to pressure in teeth that seem the worst affected)

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Re: URGENT! Worked myself up into a state, currently waiting for deep cleaning for perio!

Dannyo

Welcome! not not the official welcoming person but just from one person afraid of dental stuff to another :). anyways.. I went through similiar fears about a month ago. waiting for my rootplaning and scaling. I was frightened and thought I was going to lose my teeth and that they were going to fall out after and all kind of things... I was so worried. and once I went I felt so relieved. My dear hygenist was so patient and gentle and my teeth felt better after . it was a litle sore but really not bad at all. probably the worst of it is the worry and the waiting. I tend to catastrophize. what is the worst that can happen, all the what ifs. then compunded by watching all the videos on youtube. I almost didn't go.. but super glad I did... I hope they take good care of you and that you can get some peace before and after.. :)...

Re: URGENT! Worked myself up into a state, currently waiting for deep cleaning for perio!

Are the tooth that now hurt the ones that had a 3 and 5 when the dentist measured the pockets? That could explain what you are feeling.

As your dentist suggested anything to do while waiting? You could call them and ask for suggestion of things to do to help you. I would suggest that you make sure that you don't brush too hard since it's one of the leading cause of tooth sensitivity. You could also use products for sensitivity, but I would suggest talking with your dentist for this.

Back