• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Use the xray apron to alleviate fear

• Thread starter Operation Smile
  • Start date
O

Operation Smile

So I'm on the last stages of a few years worth of dental work. My last two crowns will be placed next week. My two upper front teeth. I cannot wait!! I've had it all I feel like. Bridges, crowns, root canals, deep cleaning, extractions, fillings you name it. I haven't smiled in 20+ years. Finally the day is near. Of all the things that I tried to alleviate my paralyzing dental fear the accidental discovery that the xray apron felt like a weighted blanket, like a giant hug without someone in your face. You know the ones people use for anxiety? Well hallelujah it worked. I now slap that apron on the second I sit down. The other trick I found was to go in the door thinking it won't hurt. Last filling... 0 pain. Not from the needle, nothing. Stay out of your head by listening to music. I also did that for a few visits. I wish someone told me about the weighted blanket 20 yrs ago. Although I know I've got this I'm STILL nervous. Two pretty crowns coming up next Thursday!

Congratulations Operation Smile :)! Quite a few people do find that a blanket helps them feel safe, and it sounds as if it's working for you :thumbsup:.

Just a quick note for our UK and Ireland readers - X-ray aprons are no longer used here, really (UK Guidance Notes for dental practitioners on the safe use of X-ray equipment state that there is no justification for the routine use of lead aprons for patients in dental radiography, now that the exposure to radiation has become so minimal due to technological advances). So instead of requesting an lead apron, it might be easier to bring a blanket along!

Best of luck with the rest of your treatment and keep us updated :clover:!

I’m glad you found a sense of security at the dentist I’m sure that makes the visits a lot more manageable. I have to ask, how was the impressions for the front teeth crowns? I have to get my front teeth crowned too but putting it off because I’m scared to death of gagging on the impression

Yes bring along a weighted blanket! They can be expensive but if you're crafty they can be hand made also. I would love to know if anyone else has had luck using a weighted blanket at the dentist. I sincerely hope it can help someone else.

I’m glad you found a sense of security at the dentist I’m sure that makes the visits a lot more manageable. I have to ask, how was the impressions for the front teeth crowns? I have to get my front teeth crowned too but putting it off because I’m scared to death of gagging on the impression

The impressions are a piece of cake compared to a root canal. Just try not to touch it with your tongue while its setting. I only gag if certain parts of my tongue hit the goop. The best way is to keep your mouth open as much as possible. Also sitting up a bit helps it not feel like it's going to choke you. Good luck!! It's so worth it I promise!

So I'm on the last stages of a few years worth of dental work. My last two crowns will be placed next week. My two upper front teeth. I cannot wait!! I've had it all I feel like. Bridges, crowns, root canals, deep cleaning, extractions, fillings you name it. I haven't smiled in 20+ years. Finally the day is near. Of all the things that I tried to alleviate my paralyzing dental fear the accidental discovery that the xray apron felt like a weighted blanket, like a giant hug without someone in your face. You know the ones people use for anxiety? Well hallelujah it worked. I now slap that apron on the second I sit down. The other trick I found was to go in the door thinking it won't hurt. Last filling... 0 pain. Not from the needle, nothing. Stay out of your head by listening to music. I also did that for a few visits. I wish someone told me about the weighted blanket 20 yrs ago. Although I know I've got this I'm STILL nervous. Two pretty crowns coming up next Thursday!

I think that that's a brilliant idea. Thanks for sharing!

I think that that's a brilliant idea. Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome! I should also add that I have found the very best dentist in the world. Her and her staff have been so amazing at putting me at ease I don't think I would've come so far without her. Find that dentist for you. You'll know when you find them.

Back