• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Useful website

D

darkvoice

I came across this website and I found it useful so I though some of you would like to have a look. It shows videos showing how some dental procedures are done.

The website is [moderator's note: broken link removed - Dr. Jerry Gordon whose website was posted here passed away some years ago and the website has since changed]

This might be the wrong forum to post this in, if it is move it please. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
When you're a dental phobic, although undoubtedly there would be some who would like to see in detail how the the procedure they might be having is carried out, on the whole I'm rather inclined to think it might put people off even more. Sometimes there is just way too much information on the Internet.

Everyone is different, but this shed some light on how things are done and it's gave me a bit more confidence. I'm always asking what and how before the dentist puts on the gloves, so this helped me with that a little bit.

It's okay to leave this link up, Dr Gordon is one of our recommended dentists anyway, so there'll be a link for his website in the Dentistfinder anyway.
I think men sometimes want to know more details or people who are at the anxious end rather than the phobic end of the spectrum find it reassuring to know what is involved.

It makes me feel better to know as much as possible about what's going on. It's funny how people are different with that.

I'm kind of that way too... As soon as I found out I was going to be having this work done, I immediately started researching every little thing about it that I could find. I feel better knowing ahead of time exactly what's going to happen. I think it's so that when the day comes and I'm actually sitting in the chair, I can feel like I can fade away and not pay any attention to what's happening-- because I already know. I do NOT want to remain aware mentally of what's happening at the moment, but it's okay for me to do that if I already know. Make sense? I'm sure that philosophy isn't for everyone, but it's making me feel a bit easier about going back on the 25th.

I think it's so that when the day comes and I'm actually sitting in the chair, I can feel like I can fade away and not pay any attention to what's happening-- because I already know. Make sense? I'm sure that philosophy isn't for everyone,

That certainly works for me...research in advance and then during treatment I prefer to just relax and get just the barest details...we are all different in this regard.

Despite what I wrote in an earlier message, I too like to know what is involved in any procedure, but to be told about it only. I just don't want to see it graphically.

Yesterday I watched all of Dr. Gordon's videos. I must say the extraction one where he takes an instrument to rock the tooth and applies pliers to take it out made me a bit uneasy. Glad I saw this after my extractions!
As I am a nurse believe me I have seen far worse; teeth are a different issue.

TMI in my case but we're all different and some people will find that helpful.

I'd rather know absolutely nothing whatsoever - I'd be the same if I was having major surgery - just do it, and the less I know the better! I like to see it as having my car fixed - the Kwik Fit man ought to know how to go about whatever it is he does to fix my car, but I don't need to know! I don't want to see the tools of the trade in particular - they'd just freak me out! In the same way if I was having a medical procedure - am sure the tools involved would look like medieval torture instruments so haunt my dreams, but if I don't see them I don't give a monkeys! We're all different, eh? :)

All I want to know places such as the dentist or doctors is whether it is going to hurt or involve needles. And sometimes it depends on the situation whether I want to know whats going to happen.:thumbsup:

If it's something I will have to go through all I generally want to know is risks involved, length of time it will take and amount of pain involved.

I also belong to category not-see-anything. Explanation is ok, and I'd like to know if the procedure will hurt. (If it's not supposed to but it will, I'll know something is wrong.) And also about needles - I'm pretty much like Mikey in this. My problem is that I worry about if seeing the needle or other instrument would trigger a panic attack or something like that, and I wouldn't be able to stay still and let them do the procedure, or I'd just panic and hyperventilate too much to go on. But if I don't see anything, that won't happen. I've got so much self-confidence from positive experiences that I didn't put a "probably" in the previous sentence.

I've donated blood twice, and I still haven't seen the needle. I said I'm OK with needles if I don't see them, and the blood donation nurses here are very understanding. One of them, the one who has put the needle in both times, tries to cover it so I could open my eyes and look to all directions. That's great. It's better than just closing my eyes. Wish every nurse would try that!

So, I simply don't understand why anyone here would want to watch those videos, but maybe someones do. I won't even try, because my dental anxiety has been history for just two weeks now, and I don't want it to come back. Maybe I'll watch next year...

Back