• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

using marcain as a painkiller?

C

coldfeet

i need to go to the dentist with my friend as she is very afraid of going there alone and she says that the last time she went it was really painful... her teeth are not in a very good state and it can be seen. she has painful gums i think and that is why she's going to the dentist to remove one tooth. the problem here is that the cheapest dentist here never use anything against pain.. [that's why he doesn't take big fees] well, i recommended my friend in using Marcain just before going in the cabinet for her treatment... that medicine is available at a canadian pharmacy. to relieve pain during dental procedure.. i never heard of this medicine and i wanted to ask, is it safe for her to take it? I don't like dentists as well and i can't support her or encourage her but at least i can help her to decrease the pain.. am i right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re:  am i right?

Wow. If it works I'd like to order it myself! :) He doesn't use anything for pain?! That's barbaric! :scared: No wonder she's scared of the dentist. I hope she can take it that medicine. Let us know what happens. :hug2:

Are you in Canada?!?!? It is standard practice here to use local anesthetic for any kind of treatment. There is no way on this green earth she should have a tooth removed in Canada without freezing. I've never heard of that and I'm certain it would go against CDA standards. Freezing itself costs $12. If she is going to a dentist that says he does not freeze patients, leave and go someplace else, and then report him.

Marcaine needs to be injected to work. So it's not going to help much. Can't your friend go to a local dental school for subsidised treatment?

Nothing for the pain ? You should not only go with your friend to the dentist but you should find another different dentist all together.

Back