• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Varying gum pocket readings

L

Lissa

Hello everyone! : )

New to the forum here. I have a question about gum pocket readings and deep cleaning.

I’ve been to 4 different doctors (2 dentists / 2 periodontists) and my gum pocket readings are always different. One dentist I saw gave my entire mouth all 4 and 5 pocket depths, while another gave me just a couple of 4 and 5, mostly 3, and some 2 or 1.

I am so confused! I also asked if I needed scaling and root planning, and a few said it wouldn’t hurt, while others said I should just get normal cleanings every 3 months instead of every 6 months.

I’m super depressed and worried about having gum disease, and I just want to do what is best. I’m scared to get the scaling and root planning though. What if it makes my gums receed even more? What if it worsens things? I read that sometimes it can do more harm than good.

I was surprised to even learn I had gum disease. I’ve always brushed a lot and religiously flossed at night, even as a kid. Growing up, my parents didn’t care about oral health, so they never got me braces, so I always over compensated with being super aware of my oral hygiene. I have crowding and gum recession all over my mouth too. I was told that the likely culprit in my case with the recession was my teeth grinding and aggressive brushing from when I was younger. I’m in my late thirties, and I’m always so paranoid about my teeth. It’s exhausting. I feel so ugly with my crooked teeth now I am stressing about the deeper 4 and 5 pockets.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

So you live in America. There are some fantastic dentists here but there are also a bunch of unethical liars. Why? A combination of poorly paying insurance and too many dentists so some and more than a few in my opinion make up disease to justify treatment.

Back