• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Veneers the biggest regret of my life

M

mrslondonuk

When I was 25 (5 years ago) I had 8 porcelain veneers on my top teeth. A totally unnecessary and purely cosmetic procedure. I never ate sweets or fizzy drinks, brushed and flossed twice a day my teeth were very strong and healthy no filings and it was a ridiculous idea to have veneers. I went to the dentist about straightening a tiny kink and came out with a set of veneers. They were done by a very experience and qualified London cosmetic dentist and they have always been fine BUT I didn't realise how much this would psychologically affect me. I now have panic attacks everyday about the fear of root canal or losing my teeth. I am terrified of what damage I have done to my future self and wish I could turn back the clock and stop myself going through with it. I pray for the day that stem cell technology can rebuild my a natural enamel and have them off I literally want to pull them off myself! This has affected my self esteem so much constant worrying is making me ill. Does anyone feel the same?

L

Lady with fear

Sorry I don't any experience with veneers but didn't want to read and run.
I do however share your fear of losing teeth! I had to have root canal on 3 of my top front teeth and then have them crowned (not through neglect but through trauma) and having always looked after my teeth this was a big deal for me.
Anyways to cut a long story short the root canal failed after 2years and I was absolutely devastated! I had 3 options, have a partial denture, a fixed bridge or dental implants.
Well as expensive as it was there was only one option for me and that was dental implants especially as I have a gummy smile. I'm just coming to the end of my treatment and it's a long 8mths!
I fear and probably always will do that my implants could fail and I will be back to square one. It's a constant worry to totally get where your coming from.
Did your dentist explain to you how it impacts on your teeth? There seems to be a lot of people having veneers nowadays, does it effect the health of your teeth? Really your dentist should have given you time to think it over before making any rash decision.

L

LittleLynnie

Have you felt this way for the entire 5 years?

I have an old-fashioned upper denture, and last year I had a permanent, fixed (screwed in) lower denture installed. I knew that I'd be a bit concerned about having it in my mouth and did have trouble adjusting to it at first (I too, wanted to tear it out and panicked because it was there and attached to me!). After about a month though, I was able to talk myself into being okay with it. But then, after a surgery in December, I developed a panic and anxiety disorder and the bridge became even bigger a problem than before. While I wasn't worried about something bad happening to it, I just couldn't stand the thought of it being there and permanently attached. It was not part of my natural body and I had major panic attacks almost daily. I almost DID rip it out myself because I was so upset about it being there. I was also suffering panic attacks and anxiety due to this "breakdown" I had after the surgery, so was put on an anti-depressant (not for depression though, which I didn't have), and for some reason, after being on it for about 8 weeks and it working fully, I no longer was bothered by the fixed bridge anymore. If you are having panic attacks and anxiety (especially if you coped well enough with the veneers at first), you may need to be medically treated for that. And doing so may help you with the veneer issue as well.

M

mrslondonuk

I haven't felt this way for the full 5 years but I did have a small niggle that they didn't suit my face and I just thought oh I will think about it in10 years. Over the past 2 years my paranoia has got worse and now I cannot even imagine how I can live another 40-50 years of life in this mental state. Thinking about having to have veneers re done makes cry and feel sick to the bottom of my stomach. I am not eating or sleeping properly I just want my natural teeth back. I know it sees self absorbed and I hate myself for that but this is very real for me. You are right, I will see my GP about the panic anxiety and stress.

L

LittleLynnie

It really does sound a lot like what happened to me. The anti-depressants take a good while to kick in fully though, so if you go that route, it will take some time before things improve. Good luck. I know how you feel - I didn't think that I'd make it through at all, and am so grateful that those drugs made my life my own again. I had been so worried that I'd never be "myself" again, but I am!

:)

brit

brit

Super Moderator
Staff member
They were done by a very experience and qualified London cosmetic dentist and they have always been fine BUT I didn't realise how much this would psychologically affect me. I now have panic attacks everyday about the fear of root canal or losing my teeth.
Maybe just ask yourself what would be so terrible about needing a root canal? They are easier to do on front teeth anyway as they don't have so many roots. It probably won't ever happen anyway. You say they have always been fine....so they will likely continue to be fine.
Maybe ask your GP to refer you for CBT/counselling re your anxiety in addition to medication.

A

Alexander M

You are not alone! I wish I did more research! I had porcelain veneers done last year May 2018 both upper and lower teeth. Biggest regret in my life! They were an unnecessary and purely cosmetic procedure. I had good and healthy teeth and went to a dental office for braces and came out of a whole set of veneers. This was an unethical dental office that I was too naive to fall into their trap. My life is never the same! After 6 months, I had 1 root canal and going to get a second root canal due to infections. One of the lower front teeth veneers has a very small gap that creates a sharp edge cutting against my tongue Discomfort is hard to endure! come to the dental office multiple times but could not fix the discomfort. I have so much anxiety and losing sleep over reget. I keep asking myself " do I have to live with this for the rest of my life". I made a stupid decision and now I have to live with terrible consequences. The procedure was an expensive, time-consuming, and unpredictable outcome. Think twice before doing it. It's not worth it!

I

Iamconfused

Hopefully, stem cell regeneration of enamel will really be possible.

K

karbear

When I was 25 (5 years ago) I had 8 porcelain veneers on my top teeth. A totally unnecessary and purely cosmetic procedure. I never ate sweets or fizzy drinks, brushed and flossed twice a day my teeth were very strong and healthy no filings and it was a ridiculous idea to have veneers. I went to the dentist about straightening a tiny kink and came out with a set of veneers. They were done by a very experience and qualified London cosmetic dentist and they have always been fine BUT I didn't realise how much this would psychologically affect me. I now have panic attacks everyday about the fear of root canal or losing my teeth. I am terrified of what damage I have done to my future self and wish I could turn back the clock and stop myself going through with it. I pray for the day that stem cell technology can rebuild my a natural enamel and have them off I literally want to pull them off myself! This has affected my self esteem so much constant worrying is making me ill. Does anyone feel the same?
I feel the same!!! I never would have gone through with veneers if I’d known how self-conscious I would feel afterwards. I developed severe BDD afterwards and quit my job. It’s more manageable now (most days- not all) now that I’ve seen a better dentist, but I too am praying that someday the stem cells can be used to grow my natural teeth back! That would be so amazing. I’m sad the original dentist I saw didn’t explain to me exactly how difficult it would be and help me consider other options. :(.

C

comfortdentist

Verified dentist
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have performed veneers for about 33 years. I regularly take photos of many of these cases in order to share with future patients. I have always had long discussions with patients before agreeing to perform veneers. I think it is essential that the patient understands what's involved, what the outcome will look like, and that I understand what the patient wants and doesn't want. As I result I'm not aware of of anyone who was displeased after treatment.

M

MsM

I can’t believe how similar are stories are. I’m so sorry you’re experiencing this, when you talk about the psychological affect it really resonates, the panic attacks, anxiety about losing teeth etc. I had veneers on upper & lower at 26, then had them replaced 9 years later which triggered so much extreme anxiety for me. I cannot believe how blasé & naive I was about having the original procedure so young. Be good to message privately on here if you’re still reading this thread. best wishes

M

MsM

I feel the same!!! I never would have gone through with veneers if I’d known how self-conscious I would feel afterwards. I developed severe BDD afterwards and quit my job. It’s more manageable now (most days- not all) now that I’ve seen a better dentist, but I too am praying that someday the stem cells can be used to grow my natural teeth back! That would be so amazing. I’m sad the original dentist I saw didn’t explain to me exactly how difficult it would be and help me consider other options. :(.
What you’ve said about developing BDD after the procedure I feel I’ve definitely experienced too. The thought of the lifelong maintenance & potential for more bad dentistry is so anxiety provoking isn’t it. i can get very caught up in the regret & beating myself up for it, it can become overwhelming the extent to which I obsess about it. i hope you’re doing ok.

A

Annette23

I know it might be not the same thing, but I had breast implants years ago and after about a year, I would have these panic attacks where all I wanted was to get them out of my body as soon as possible, I would literally think about just grabbing a knife and removing them myself (which of course my rational brain would never let me do but my panicky brain kept screaming about it). I have had an anxiety disorder pretty much my whole life and I think people with anxiety and panic attacks just can't deal mentally with having foreign objects in or attached to their bodies. The upkeep thought terrified me too, the idea that breast implants aren't for life and you have to get them changed every 10-15 years is a lot to deal with mentally, as well as thw fear they could leak or cause health problems. It's like having ticking time bombs inside you. Of course you would think I would have realised that before I got them, but apparently all this stuff only ocurred to me as terrifying once they were inside me :toofunny:

I got my breast implants taken out last year, which I am so happy about, but of course my anxiety has now found other things to focus on, like this darn root canal that has been giving me grief for months!

I'm not downplaying your fear by the way, I understand it completely. I wish there was more knowledge about the psychological impact of things like this the medical field and cosmetic surgery/dentistry world. Most medical professionals and non-anxious people will just tell you to try not to worry about it, but they don't understand that that isn't an option 😭

I hope you find some relief with treatment for your anxiety until there are other options available.

K

karbear

What you’ve said about developing BDD after the procedure I feel I’ve definitely experienced too. The thought of the lifelong maintenance & potential for more bad dentistry is so anxiety provoking isn’t it. i can get very caught up in the regret & beating myself up for it, it can become overwhelming the extent to which I obsess about it. i hope you’re doing ok.
Yes, it's very upsetting to think of all the lifelong maintenance and potential for more disappointing or traumatic outcomes. I've started to look into other dentists (it's been over ten years now since my last procedure) and I'm feeling a little more hopeful that someone might be able to give me a result I'm truly comfortable with. Every year dentists learn more and I learn more about choosing good doctors. One thing that has really helped me is to realize that I am not alone. Thank you for sharing your feelings on here. I hope you are doing okay, too.

K

karbear

I know it might be not the same thing, but I had breast implants years ago and after about a year, I would have these panic attacks where all I wanted was to get them out of my body as soon as possible, I would literally think about just grabbing a knife and removing them myself (which of course my rational brain would never let me do but my panicky brain kept screaming about it). I have had an anxiety disorder pretty much my whole life and I think people with anxiety and panic attacks just can't deal mentally with having foreign objects in or attached to their bodies. The upkeep thought terrified me too, the idea that breast implants aren't for life and you have to get them changed every 10-15 years is a lot to deal with mentally, as well as thw fear they could leak or cause health problems. It's like having ticking time bombs inside you. Of course you would think I would have realised that before I got them, but apparently all this stuff only ocurred to me as terrifying once they were inside me :toofunny:

I got my breast implants taken out last year, which I am so happy about, but of course my anxiety has now found other things to focus on, like this darn root canal that has been giving me grief for months!

I'm not downplaying your fear by the way, I understand it completely. I wish there was more knowledge about the psychological impact of things like this the medical field and cosmetic surgery/dentistry world. Most medical professionals and non-anxious people will just tell you to try not to worry about it, but they don't understand that that isn't an option 😭

I hope you find some relief with treatment for your anxiety until there are other options available.

You make such a good point about people with intense anxiety having difficulty with foreign objects in their bodies! I think this is so true. I know other people who are completely fine with making permanent changes (tattoos, implants, veneers, etc.) whereas I do not do well with these types of things at all. I think there should definitely be more knowledge and warnings about psychological risk in the cosmetic fields.

K

karbear

You make such a good point about people with intense anxiety having difficulty with foreign objects in their bodies! I think this is so true. I know other people who are completely fine with making permanent changes (tattoos, implants, veneers, etc.) whereas I do not do well with these types of things at all. I think there should definitely be more knowledge and warnings about psychological risk in the cosmetic fields.
p.s. I hope you are doing well, and glad you were able to get the implants out without too much trouble!

J

jt2002

Same thing happened to me but with composite bonding last year. Everything I researched online said it could be removed and its less invasive. I went in to lengthen my laterals for cosmetic reasons and my dentist convinced me to get a "Hollywood smile" and get bonding on my canines as well. She said she needed me to make up my mind fast because she can't make it look as good if I come back later. Im so upset I said yes, when it was done I instantly regretted it but I tried to convince myself I liked it. I wish she told me to take my time, that this is irreversible and I'm ruining perfectly healthy teeth. I went back and asked it could be removed because I didn't feel like myself and she said she can't do that without compromising my teeth. This is the biggest regret my life, I know its my fault for going in for this procedure, but I just wish she went over the enamel damages with me instead of just saying the down side is that it stains. The biggest thing I regret is that I ruined perfectly healthy teeth and I will have to keep getting work don't on it for the rest of my life. Im scared ill have to get veneers or a root canal one of these days. Ive spent so much of my days obsessing over this and keep telling my self "what's done is done, you need to move on" but its so hard. I spend so much of my time researching enamel regeneration and hoping I will see something like this within the next decade. I have nightmares that my teeth fall out. I did not realize how much of a toll this would take on my mental health. If I could go back in time and tell myself not to do it I would. If anyone decides to get bonding for cosmetic reasons please think it through. Also, if anyone needs to talk on the side and do a support group for this please let me know.

P.S. hope your all ok and things have gotten better

Last edited:
C

charlottep

My story? A few years ago I went to a top-rated cosmetic dentist and shelled out 11k for dental work. I went in to ask about bonding and he insisted the only thing that would address my cosmetic concerns were six veneers. "Don't worry, we barely take anything off when we prep your teeth." It sounded so routine and minimal.

BIGGEST REGRET OF MY LIFE.

A year later I took a bite of bread and the nightmare began. What was under there was a peg. I felt sick to my stomach.

It took three tries to get the tooth to stay on and in the process of Xrays they discovered I needed THREE root canals because the dentist killed half my teeth.

It didn't end there.

The dentist violated the "biologic width" when placing the veneers, so I needed to get functional crown lengthening-- a procedure where they drill bone and cut back gums.

IT DIDN'T END THERE EITHER.

I'm now being sent for allergy tests because my body is rejecting the dental cement. I will need to have all six replaced and the thought of that makes me sick.

I feel psychologically tortured.

There is NOTHING that is worth losing confidence that your teeth will stay ON. I lie in bed thinking about it. My blood runs cold anytime something crunches in my mouth. I feel mutilated.

I'd give any thing just have my real teeth back: healthy, somewhat chipped, but MINE.

I have signed up for a lifetime of issues, dental implants or worse.

I have PTSD now from this, as I shake everytime I get in the dentist chair, waiting for more bad news. It keeps coming. I never will be free from this.