Veneers the biggest regret of my life

A

AlwaysAnxious

So sorry you had to go through this. Sorry any of us did. I was very self conscious of my teeth - but what 20 year old isn’t? In my teens and 20s beauty was always about perfection. Perfect straight glossy hair, perfect button nose, perfect straight white teeth. Im now 37 and I am so glad beauty (whilst perfection is still big) has moved to ‘imperfect’ being beautiful. Now, slightly crooked teeth are cute. Before they were hideous. Interesting hair, facial features all have beauty. It wasn’t this way in the late 90s/early 00s.
I had no self confidence as I didn’t fit that mould.
I wish I could go back to my 20 year old self and say ‘don’t do it!’.
Such a terrible mistake to make. I can’t accept I was that stupid.
But - I’m here if you ever need to chat because I really understand how you feel.

K

kate221

Finally decided to join the forum. You all are not alone. I chipped my front tooth when I was a kid and went for awhile with it chipped. At 12 a dentist bonded it. There was a clear difference between my tooth and the color of the bonding material. This later led to a dentist shaving the tooth down and placing a crown over it, and thus my insecurities were born. Looking back I don’t know why the dentist shaved my tooth down instead of replacing the bonding material with a better color match. I suppose there was more money in a crown. The crown wasn’t the best either, it was noticeably fake. I’m not sure what material was used back in 2006 for the crown but it was obviously fake. I didn’t care as it caused no problem for 15 yrs. As I got older ( my twenties) I started to become insecure about the crown due to dating and small comments people would make about the tooth. This year I finally decided to replace the crown, now at 30. Horrible horrible mistake. I went in for a crown replacement and got talked into doing veneers on the 5 teeth surrounding it. So my upper teeth are now 1 crown, and 5 veneers. This was such a mistake. I’m constantly crying, depressed and unhappy with the overall service. My teeth are in so much pain as they’re so sensitive. The dentist was so aggressive with the crown replacement that I ended up having to get a root canal on that tooth. A crown I had for 15 years and caused no issues now needed a root canal all because I didn’t like the aesthetic. I hate everything about the veneers. I wish I would’ve just did orthodontic treatment instead of veneers. I destroyed five perfectly good teeth. I was insecure about one crown and gaps in between my teeth, which could’ve easily been fixed my orthodontic treatment. I never felt so stupid in all my life. It’s hard to live with this decision, at times I no longer want to be here. I can’t imagine dealing with this for another 10-40 years.
Hi dear, so sorry about it. If it's any consolation orthodontic treatment is not always good. I've heard so many stories about orthodontic treatment went wrong. Besides being done in not a young age it can leave your teeth less stable because of applied pressure. It can also leave you with receding gums (like I've got). So sometimes veneers can be a better options if someone's teeth are in a really bad shape. Though I personally would prefer having not perfect to some degree teeth over fake perfect veneers. Maybe veneers you got are too thin? There shouldn't be any sensitivity if it's done right.
I have somewhat similar situation. Before doing veneers I had a crown for 8 years. When I was 7y.o. my first front tooth somehow got infected and I had to have a root canal :mad: After a while my tooth got greyish. When I was already an adult I went to another dentist to make it better (turned out to the wrong one) so he shaved it off leaving a small toothpick (he didn't tell me it would be like this before the procedure) and put composite over it, it looked good. Thinking of it I should I have done veneer on it and save most of the part of my tooth. So eventually I had to replace composite with a crown. To save the money I opted for a crown that had metal underneath. It was good but not perfect. Mostly people didn't notice. So I started to want to replace the crown with fully ceramic one. Back then 8 years ago I wasn't thinking about doing veneers on other teeth. So couple of months ago I replaced the crown and did veneers on 2 other healthy teeth, the decision I deeply regret. So the new crown is worse than previous one. 2 veneers are somewhat different from the other teeth if the lighting is dim. I liked feeling of my own teeth. They were reliable. They would probably stay with me for the rest of my life, veneers I have to replace every 10 years. The crown was good, didn't get me any problem. I'm obsessing about teeth too much (mine and other people). I'm afraid to go to my home country during the winter because it's very cold and I'm afraid veneers will hurt.

F

FemmeNicole

Finally deciding to share my story on here. So I went 13 years without seeing the dentist. No issues. I have very healthy and strong teeth. My issues were with my two front teeth. They went back and had a few chipping. No big deal - honestly never bothered me. My husband has great teeth and is really into nice teeth so as a gift, he got me smile direct. It was hard for me to keep up with so ended up being a waste.

Fast forward to may 2021 - finally went to the dentist after 13 years for a cleaning. Dentist asked me if I had any problems and I mentioned my front teeth. He suggested…VENEERS. Barely explained the process but said it would protect my natural teeth and give me a straight smile.

Sounded like an easy win. I consider myself a smart girl with a good head on my shoulders. I’m very cautious about making decisions and I research random things all the time. Of course I didn’t research veneers and of course I wasn’t cautious. Now they are one of my biggest regrets. It’s been 8 months and I think about them every day. Every. Single. Day. It’s exhausting. I’m worried about potential problems I’ve created for myself. I wish I had never gone to the dentist. I can’t believe I ruined healthy teeth for vanity. If had provided informed consent and explained everything, I never would have done it. I feel lied to, tricked, bamboozled.

I’m glad I’m not alone in this. I also need to find some way to get over this. I can’t keep obsessing over two teeth. Anyway, thanks for listening (reading). We’re all in this crap together.

A

AlwaysAnxious

Finally deciding to share my story on here. So I went 13 years without seeing the dentist. No issues. I have very healthy and strong teeth. My issues were with my two front teeth. They went back and had a few chipping. No big deal - honestly never bothered me. My husband has great teeth and is really into nice teeth so as a gift, he got me smile direct. It was hard for me to keep up with so ended up being a waste.

Fast forward to may 2021 - finally went to the dentist after 13 years for a cleaning. Dentist asked me if I had any problems and I mentioned my front teeth. He suggested…VENEERS. Barely explained the process but said it would protect my natural teeth and give me a straight smile.

Sounded like an easy win. I consider myself a smart girl with a good head on my shoulders. I’m very cautious about making decisions and I research random things all the time. Of course I didn’t research veneers and of course I wasn’t cautious. Now they are one of my biggest regrets. It’s been 8 months and I think about them every day. Every. Single. Day. It’s exhausting. I’m worried about potential problems I’ve created for myself. I wish I had never gone to the dentist. I can’t believe I ruined healthy teeth for vanity. If had provided informed consent and explained everything, I never would have done it. I feel lied to, tricked, bamboozled.

I’m glad I’m not alone in this. I also need to find some way to get over this. I can’t keep obsessing over two teeth. Anyway, thanks for listening (reading). We’re all in this crap together.
Hi!
I’m glad you shared your story. All of our stories are very similar. There needs go be greater duty of care from dentists who are undertaking these cosmetic procedures. If I had known what I was really getting into there is just no way I would have gone ahead. I was getting severe anxiety over my front crowns. I wanted to tear them out. I’m on anxiety meds now just to function. That’s truly awful. None of us should be in this position. Had I seen a video of what was going to happen, the life long maintenance and the sheer costs I would have walking away.
I’m here if you need to chat 😩

C

Crybabybear

@FemmeNicole I totally know what you’re going through. The five teeth I got veneers on had no issues. There was nothing wrong with them and I wish I could’ve realized that then. It’s the first thing I think about when I wake up and go to sleep. I’ve been referred to a therapist; That’s how bad it’s been. I currently work from home, but I’m now looking for permanent work from home positions. I keep praying and researching for a miracle in dental advancement. Thanks for sharing your story. You’re not alone. I wish I had something more comforting to to say. We’re definitely in this together.

F

FemmeNicole

@AlwaysAnxious I don’t understand how they’re allowed to not fully explain procedures before hand. Informed consent is so important in many professions. I’m also always messing with my two front teeth. I find I push my tongue against them frequently, paranoid that I’ll feel them move (this probably isn’t helping and may loosen them). It’s so weird to go years without ever thinking about my teeth to thinking about them all the time. How long have you had your crowns? I’m hoping despite our regret that we’re all success stories and have them for 20+ years.

F

FemmeNicole

@Crybabybear I have actually considered a therapist. My husband thinks I’m nuts. He just can’t understand what I’m going through or why it’s such a big deal. I’ve also been praying for a miracle. Like for my enamel to magically grow back lol I’m hoping if I take super good care of them that I won’t have any issues until they need replacing (🤦🏽‍♀️).

I wonder if anyone else obsessively watches YouTube videos on veneers? It’s hard to watch people getting them whole mouths crowned or veneered. I do wish I loved the results like they do though.

A

AlwaysAnxious

@AlwaysAnxious I don’t understand how they’re allowed to not fully explain procedures before hand. Informed consent is so important in many professions. I’m also always messing with my two front teeth. I find I push my tongue against them frequently, paranoid that I’ll feel them move (this probably isn’t helping and may loosen them). It’s so weird to go years without ever thinking about my teeth to thinking about them all the time. How long have you had your crowns? I’m hoping despite our regret that we’re all success stories and have them for 20+ years.
I’ve had crowns since my early 20s. Im
Now 37. I had to replace them at 34 - almost 10 years to the day they were put on. They started crumbling. It was so traumatic. I’m terrified for when it happens again… Im assuming that will be at around 45. Im so stressed trying to work out how I can save that money before then. Or when they will break - where will I be? Can I get to a dentist quickly? It’s horrifying. My gums seem forever inflamed (they weren’t before I had hit cosmetic work done). I feel like I can’t face another 40 years of life thinking about these teeth every waking moment and spending thousands. I’ve already had a root canal in one of my incisors. I guarantee that wouldn’t have happened if I had my natural teeth. No matter how much I clean them and look after them, there’s always something going wrong. I can’t believe I made such an awful life altering decision 😩

A

AlwaysAnxious

@Crybabybear I have actually considered a therapist. My husband thinks I’m nuts. He just can’t understand what I’m going through or why it’s such a big deal. I’ve also been praying for a miracle. Like for my enamel to magically grow back lol I’m hoping if I take super good care of them that I won’t have any issues until they need replacing (🤦🏽‍♀️).

I wonder if anyone else obsessively watches YouTube videos on veneers? It’s hard to watch people getting them whole mouths crowned or veneered. I do wish I loved the results like they do though.
I obsessively follow dentist Insta accounts. 😩

F

FemmeNicole

@AlwaysAnxious I’m so sorry. That’s horrifying. I cannot express the anger I feel towards dentist for doing these things and acting like it’s no big deal.
Mine told me the veneers could last a lifetime if I take care of them 🙄 needless to say, I switched dentist. But damage is done now.

These are one of those things I wish we didn’t have to learn the hard way. Again, so sorry for what you’ve been through.