• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Veneers the biggest regret of my life

A

AlwaysAnxious

@AlwaysAnxious It was my first session, just a half hour but I cried the whole time while explaining. She told me I need to see the doctor at the hospital. I think she wants me to see a psych doctor but she’ll also continue to see me. I think she’s gonna set up an appointment at the hospital for me. I guess she works there as well. I also usually make smart and healthy choices and somehow I just let this happen. I also can’t understand how and why. The why makes sense now but still cannot accept how fragile my mind was at the time that I let this happen to myself.
You’ve hit the nail on the head. I got mine done when my confidence was very low. I had recently been proposed too but rejected him and broke up with him all whilst we were backpacking around the world. My self confidence was never high, often my teeth were a source of embarrassment (they were FINE) but to a teen they were hideous. Anyway it was almost impulsive to get my teeth cosmetically enhanced. I just didn’t care enough about myself at the time. Clearly I was depressed. I wasn’t thinking straight.
Anyway. It’s a decision I regret every day of my life.

F

FemmeNicole

@cmykrgb I’ve just been reading positive Veneer stories. Maybe I can trick or convince myself into being okay with this. Otherwise I will be talking to someone too. This can’t be healthy.

A

AlwaysAnxious

Maybe we should try to think of one or two positives of having our teeth done?
I’ll go first. I get complimented on my beautiful teeth and it has somehow helped make my lips fuller/sit better.

F

FemmeNicole

@AlwaysAnxious definitely east coast but much further south. I’m from Atl, GA

Nice teeth definitely attract attention to the lips, which is a definite positive!

Positive of my teeth - well they DO look better from the front. I’d like them to be less thick but they’re nice and straight.

C

cmykrgb

Are you all happy with the way the veneers look? If you guys take care, I’m sure they’ll last a long time. I met a woman and she got her teeth redone after almost 25 years. That’s really good. I’m sure all your smiles are beautiful.

A

AlwaysAnxious

We should share smile photos.

My biggest fear right now is my swollen gum. If that wasn’t an issue I think I would be able to manage this all better.

Veneers that lasted 25 years?! Wow! My first set of crowns failed at 11 years. The teeth crumbled and broke. It was so awful. I have to keep a credit card handy in case anything else suddenly happens.
I am hoping this next set lasts longer being more modern cements etc. However I clench my teeth which is causing problems.
If I could get 20 years out of this set i Would be so happy.
Just very worried about this gum issue.

C

Crybabybear

We should share smile photos.

My biggest fear right now is my swollen gum. If that wasn’t an issue I think I would be able to manage this all better.

Veneers that lasted 25 years?! Wow! My first set of crowns failed at 11 years. The teeth crumbled and broke. It was so awful. I have to keep a credit card handy in case anything else suddenly happens.
I am hoping this next set lasts longer being more modern cements etc. However I clench my teeth which is causing problems.
If I could get 20 years out of this set i Would be so happy.
Just very worried about this gum issue.

Crowns usually have a longer lifespan, I know some people that have had there’s for 20 years. Did the tooth inside the crown crumble or the crown itself? Have you tried gargling with salt water? Is your next dentist appointment soon? Maybe that’ll give you a better idea of what’s going on.

Last edited:
A

AlwaysAnxious

Crowns usually have a longer lifespan, I know some people that have had there’s for 20 years. Did the tooth inside the crown crumble or the crown itself? Have you tried gargling with salt water? Is your next dentist appointment soon? Maybe that’ll give you a better ideas of what’s going on.
They still say 10-15years for front crowns to cover themselves.

I’ve been to several dentists, none can see what the problem is. Next week is a periodontist- they have to know and I am hoping it’s nothing dire.

I’ve tried salt water etc etc - tried everything I could research & from advice from dentists. Apparently if a crown of veneer is placed too close to a certain part of the gum it can cause this but I have a feeling it’s infection.

I really don’t know.. I’ll find out next Friday.

F

FemmeNicole

@cmykrgb 25 years would be phenomenal! I’m not super in love with how they look - they’re thick from the side but the entire experience was traumatizing so I don’t hate them enough to get the redone unless necessary.

@AlwaysAnxious good luck with your appointment! Hoping it’s not an infection but also hoping they can give you a diagnosis so you can resolve the situation.

C

cmykrgb

@FemmeNicole So I think some of that lady’s veneers were replaced earlier but the others last like 25 years when she got all redone again so I guess it’s not accurate. They weren’t all good for 25 years. I don’t even know if she had 6 or 8.

I know exactly what you’re saying. It was so traumatizing for me too and that’s why instead of replacing them or having them redone I couldn’t and had to have them removed. I feel really sad though cause the enamel is thinner and you can def see it on the front two teeth.

A

AlwaysAnxious

Omg my perio appt has been moved to April due to a covid complications omg FREAKING OUT

F

FemmeNicole

@cmykrgb ohh gotcha well maybe since I just have 2, I’ll have some good luck and they’ll last the distance. Does it cause you any pain on your two front teeth?

@AlwaysAnxious oh no! Is there another one you can go to?? That’s so long to deal with this issue. I hate they’d make you wait that long

C

cmykrgb

@FemmeNicole is there something you didn’t like about the two you have? Is it the front two teeth? Yeah, it’s a blessing you have just two. I’m sure they’ll be great and last a long time. We’re they prepped a lot?

F

FemmeNicole

@cmykrgb yep it’s the two front 8 & 9 I think. They look good straight on but from the side, you can tell they’re much thicker than my normal teeth. Yeah they were prepped quite a bit. I see my new dentist in February and she’s gonna take a look at the x rays - I’m curious about her professional opinion regarding the prep work. He didn’t just shave the front, he also took from the sides ? so heartbreaking

C

Crybabybear

@cmykrgb yep it’s the two front 8 & 9 I think. They look good straight on but from the side, you can tell they’re much thicker than my normal teeth. Yeah they were prepped quite a bit. I see my new dentist in February and she’s gonna take a look at the x rays - I’m curious about her professional opinion regarding the prep work. He didn’t just shave the front, he also took from the sides ? so heartbreaking
I really hope everything works out for us. I have a few dental appointments lined up. How’s the sensitivity with your two?

C

cmykrgb

@FemmeNicole They were very sensitive for like 3-4 months. They’re sensitive now but it’s manageable. Looking in the mirror bothers me because I see the differences and when they say they just prepped it very very little, seems like it’s usually way more than that. I’ll probably need bonding with time on the bottom parts of the two front teeth. I’d also love to forget the memories of the procedure. It was very traumatic.

A

AlwaysAnxious

If you’re worried, I had crowns on my x6 front teeth. I went to a hack dentist (didn’t know at the time) and he shaved my teeth down to jagged pegs. Like nightmares. My current dentist has commented on how much of my natural teeth were ground away. It gives me nightmares.

C

cmykrgb

@AlwaysAnxious that is scary ? are you doing okay? When did you get the crowns and how old are you, if you don’t mind saying. Taking away healthy teeth should not be allowed.