• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Veneers the biggest regret of my life

A

AlwaysAnxious

@AlwaysAnxious that is scary ? are you doing okay? When did you get the crowns and how old are you, if you don’t mind saying. Taking away healthy teeth should not be allowed.
Im 37. I got my first lot of crowns at around 23. These had to be replaced when I was 34. Very traumatic and I’m dreading being 44 and having to get them replaced again. Based on a 10 year lifespan. If they were a permanent solution I’d be much less worried but knowing they can break any time really is terrifying.

F

FemmeNicole

@Crybabybear hoping our appointments go well! They’re actually not that sensitive. Maybe a little more than my others but I can only tell when I’m drinking super cold water and I swish it around my front teeth.

I’m more concerned with slight budging I feel randomly. My dentist said they did not seem loose but when I run my tongue along them, I feel it sometimes.

F

FemmeNicole

@cmykrgb insane procedure. Hopefully I can get over my dental anxiety with a good dentist I trust. Can’t believe I have to go through this again one day.

@AlwaysAnxious i just don’t understand why some dentists are so aggressive. I’m all for individual freedom and if someone wants this done, that’s they’re choice. But it sounds like our dentists (and many others) do not explain everything and they do that on purpose. I really wanna go off on my old dentist

C

cmykrgb

@AlwaysAnxious Oh my! Were you happy with them first or has it been difficult from the start? How did you manage all these years? You’re so strong. I’ve been having such an anxiety filled year and some months with severe depression. I haven’t seen anyone for the past 20 days either.

Also, they have to grind the porcelain/ crowns to fix the bite after the application right? That part is so brutal. They don’t even explain that. Those drills are horrifying.

A

AlwaysAnxious

@AlwaysAnxious Oh my! Were you happy with them first or has it been difficult from the start? How did you manage all these years? You’re so strong. I’ve been having such an anxiety filled year and some months with severe depression. I haven’t seen anyone for the past 20 days either.

Also, they have to grind the porcelain/ crowns to fix the bite after the application right? That part is so brutal. They don’t even explain that. Those drills are horrifying.
Thank you.. I don’t feel strong. I feel like my anxiety meds are masking a lot of the anxiety and pure fear. When I tried to come off them I was terrified of what I’d done. I couldn’t eat or sleep. When I first got them done I was in an impulsive headspace and also depressed. I thought it would fix my problems. Not long after I got them I went on anxiety meds for different reasons and that masked my horror/fear/anxiety for years until recently. It’s like I’m only just seeing what I’ve done?!?! I know people do dumb things in their 20s but I feel this was more than dumb. It seems unforgivable. I do find it strange that we are all the same in these feelings.. I wonder what a psychologist would say .. does what we feel have a name?

C

cmykrgb

@FemmeNicole I know someone with two front teeth veneers and she’s very happy with hers. I’m not sure why she had to get them in the first place and you can tell up close they’re not her real teeth (from photos) but she’s happy with her. Really, you got lucky that you only ended up doing two.

C

cmykrgb

@AlwaysAnxious I think it’s a lot of remorse and regret, feeling used, not standing up for ourselves, not trusting our gut instinct when we felt uneasy. I think it’s that we allowed ourselves to be gullible and we allowed ourselves to trust these people when usually we wouldn’t have.

Also, I come from a family where my grandparents were orphans. They lived in poverty and eventually they made their life work out and I am here today because of them. I spent my own, money I worked so hard for, which I only use for either health, food, travel or saving. In this case, I was blowing sooooooooo much money because I let myself be convinced by the dentists words. If my grandparents knew, they would have never let me do something like this.

Also, I look at my childhood photos and I could see the kind of upbringing I had, and oh my god, there is no way it’s okay for me to go get something put on my teeth for cosmetic reasons. It’s so not authentic to me now, to what I was or what I was growing up. I feel like somehow I went against my own beliefs and values.

You know, I think sometimes we’re going through a difficult time in life and we can’t make rational decisions and usually, I would step back and be like “okay, I’m gonna think about it in 6 months or a year” but that’s not what happened.

F

FemmeNicole

@AlwaysAnxious I think it’s a lot of remorse and regret, feeling used, not standing up for ourselves, not trusting our gut instinct when we felt uneasy. I think it’s that we allowed ourselves to be gullible and we allowed ourselves to trust these people when usually we wouldn’t have.

Also, I come from a family where my grandparents were orphans. They lived in poverty and eventually they made their life work out and I am here today because of them. I spent my own, money I worked so hard for, which I only use for either health, food, travel or saving. In this case, I was blowing sooooooooo much money because I let myself be convinced by the dentists words. If my grandparents knew, they would have never let me do something like this.

Also, I look at my childhood photos and I could see the kind of upbringing I had, and oh my god, there is no way it’s okay for me to go get something put on my teeth for cosmetic reasons. It’s so not authentic to me now, to what I was or what I was growing up. I feel like somehow I went against my own beliefs and values.

You know, I think sometimes we’re going through a difficult time in life and we can’t make rational decisions and usually, I would step back and be like “okay, I’m gonna think about it in 6 months or a year” but that’s not what happened.
I felt this so much! I’m truly a “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” kinda person. I really value health and natural. Not against anyone else doing it but I’m not a fan of fillers and plastic surgery. I feel like I went against who I am for vanity without truly understanding what I was even doing. Now that I’ve researched and learned how valuable our enamel is, I can’t believe dentists are willing to get rid of it without emphasizing the permanence and possible negative side effects.

Looking back at photos, I’m so confused as to why I didn’t like my front teeth. They were imperfect but aren’t we all.

C

cmykrgb

@FemmeNicole Yes :( it’s crazy!! And like, veneers are straight up like plastic surgery except they’re not cutting open the gums and inserting things and they always call it a procedure where really it’s like a surgery you know. I think we’re so used to seeing people have work done to their teeth, like braces, Invisalign, a crown, fillings done I think we don’t realize what we’re doing is actually pretty big.

M

Mayo

I can really relate to many of you here. I have been trying to be strong and positive but this past weekend, it has really sunk in how much I messed up my teeth.

When I was a child I chipped one of my two front teeth (#8) and had bonding work done. When I was in my mid 20s it came off, and after getting it fixed and it coming off again just a year later, the dentist convinced me to get a veneer, saying it would be stronger.

I won't go into that procedure but the short story is I spent over 5 hours getting the procedure that was supposed to only take a few hours. The machine wasn't cooperating, the dentist wasn't on her A game that day, and when it was all said and done, the dentist had to shave more than she anticipated and I ended up with a crown. A crown that didn't match. A crown that was much darker in most lighting.

I was embarrassed to smile after that. I avoided showing my teeth. I hated my smile. But I was also traumatized from the procedure and how it all went down. I researched cosmetic dentists and after 7 years, got up the courage to go back, and get it redone.

That new crown was beautiful and it fit my teeth perfectly. I loved it. I smiled again for pictures. But what I didn't know was that the bite was off, and it was slowly killing my tooth. By the time it was figured out, it was too late and I had to have a root canal. The bite issue also made the crown loose. The same dentist redid the crown, and again the new crown was perfect. Only issue is it felt wrong in my mouth. My teeth didn't come together correctly anymore. I was uncomfortable. I went back to him more times than I could count, practically begging him to fix it. He kept making adjustments but never quite got it right. I was miserable.

The last time I saw him, he was very angry with me, although trying to appear calm. He made an adjustment but in his impatience, he nicked the tooth a little and shaved about 1/4 or 1/5 of the end off. I noticed it before leaving and immediately asked him about it. He denied doing it.

Now I was uncomfortable and hiding my smile again. A year went by and I was so uncomfortable with the feeling of the crown, I decided I needed to find another cosmetic dentist. I did, and drove 2 hours one way every time. I got the procedure finished up earlier this month, I have a new crown now. And I hate it. It's both wider and whiter than the other front tooth. And I think, the entire time I was complaining about the way the other one felt in my mouth, and was seriously uncomfortable, it was doing damage to my molars on that side. My teeth were coming together weird and I think that impacted the back teeth on that side. They hurt now. They are cold sensitive and hurt when I bite. I've been afraid to go into the dentist but I think I need to make an appointment tomorrow. I'm so terrified of what he will tell me. I'm scared I did serious irreversible damage. And I feel like i went through all this just to be back in the same position I was in only worse off. I hate my smile, but now my other teeth also hurt.

I wish so badly I could go back to before all this, when I had a crown that was comfortable, and yes it didn't match, but it wasn't doing damage to my other teeth, and wasn't killing the tooth by the bite being off, and wasn't giving me jaw pain. I would do anything to go back to that, just a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
S

shoo524

Hi I am new. I got veneers on my front 6 teeth Oct 2020. I bit into a chip last Jan 2021. Felt like something stuck between 2 front teeth. Couldn't get it out. Went to dentist that did veneers. He used what he called sandpaper very violently between my front teeth. He damaged my gum there and now I have a space I never had and it won't grow back. However, I am miserable. I can feel all kinds of things like excess gum that I can't stop playing with with my tongue. I can feel something threadlike moving around with tongue on incisive papilla and under my front tooth gum on backside I feel something like a splinter that I can flick around and feel it deep in the back of my palate. I also can not stop sucking in saliva it's constant all day from just left of the center of my teeth from behind. I think that is where the initial injury from chip occurred. I can not explain how miserable I am. I feel one or all of these things all day long. I can not live my life. I have been to many different types of dentists. Perio general etc. The oral surgeon I saw sees a cyst behind my front teeth which I am having removed. However doesn't seem to think that's what I feel. No doctor can figure me out. The cyst is to the left as well. Has anyone heard of anything like this. I have gone to top doctors in my area. They have no idea. My life is ruined. My whole day is this. My tongue going there or the sucking. Please if u have any ideas help.

C

Crybabybear

Update, my gums have been really inflamed since the procedure. I don’t understand because I’m regularly brushing, flossing and gargling. Yet the pain won’t go away. I’ve been referred to a periodontist. That nightmare continues.

A

AlwaysAnxious

Update, my gums have been really inflamed since the procedure. I don’t understand because I’m regularly brushing, flossing and gargling. Yet the pain won’t go away. I’ve been referred to a periodontist. That nightmare continues.
Oh no! All of them? How long ago were the veneers done?

A

AlwaysAnxious

Hi I am new. I got veneers on my front 6 teeth Oct 2020. I bit into a chip last Jan 2021. Felt like something stuck between 2 front teeth. Couldn't get it out. Went to dentist that did veneers. He used what he called sandpaper very violently between my front teeth. He damaged my gum there and now I have a space I never had and it won't grow back. However, I am miserable. I can feel all kinds of things like excess gum that I can't stop playing with with my tongue. I can feel something threadlike moving around with tongue on incisive papilla and under my front tooth gum on backside I feel something like a splinter that I can flick around and feel it deep in the back of my palate. I also can not stop sucking in saliva it's constant all day from just left of the center of my teeth from behind. I think that is where the initial injury from chip occurred. I can not explain how miserable I am. I feel one or all of these things all day long. I can not live my life. I have been to many different types of dentists. Perio general etc. The oral surgeon I saw sees a cyst behind my front teeth which I am having removed. However doesn't seem to think that's what I feel. No doctor can figure me out. The cyst is to the left as well. Has anyone heard of anything like this. I have gone to top doctors in my area. They have no idea. My life is ruined. My whole day is this. My tongue going there or the sucking. Please if u have any ideas help.
Hi, I’m so sorry this is happening to you. I really understand going from dentist to dentist .. I’ve done a lot of that. I don’t see how they can be so mystified at what happening in our mouths considering that’s what they’ve studied for years!!

C

Crybabybear

@AlwaysAnxious They we’re done last summer. It’s the fist four teeth. 3 of which are veneers/one being a crown. Damn this really sucks.

A

AlwaysAnxious

@AlwaysAnxious They we’re done last summer. It’s the fist four teeth. 3 of which are veneers/one being a crown. Damn this really sucks.
Im guessing you’ve tried salt water rinse? Changing toothpastes? I’m sure you’re flossing and looking after them. I have a similar issue on one of my crowned teeth. I think unless your dentist really finesses their work it can easily happen. I’m so pissed off that some dentists say they are cosmetic dentists when clearly they aren’t. They don’t have the skill or experience. I’m on her hunt for a good cosmetic dentist. It’s so hard.
Go back to your dentist and show them the issues. They have a duty of care

C

Crybabybear

I can really relate to many of you here. I have been trying to be strong and positive but this past weekend, it has really sunk in how much I messed up my teeth.

When I was a child I chipped one of my two front teeth (#8) and had bonding work done. When I was in my mid 20s it came off, and after getting it fixed and it coming off again just a year later, the dentist convinced me to get a veneer, saying it would be stronger.

I won't go into that procedure but the short story is I spent over 5 hours getting the procedure that was supposed to only take a few hours. The machine wasn't cooperating, the dentist wasn't on her A game that day, and when it was all said and done, the dentist had to shave more than she anticipated and I ended up with a crown. A crown that didn't match. A crown that was much darker in most lighting.

I was embarrassed to smile after that. I avoided showing my teeth. I hated my smile. But I was also traumatized from the procedure and how it all went down. I researched cosmetic dentists and after 7 years, got up the courage to go back, and get it redone.

That new crown was beautiful and it fit my teeth perfectly. I loved it. I smiled again for pictures. But what I didn't know was that the bite was off, and it was slowly killing my tooth. By the time it was figured out, it was too late and I had to have a root canal. The bite issue also made the crown loose. The same dentist redid the crown, and again the new crown was perfect. Only issue is it felt wrong in my mouth. My teeth didn't come together correctly anymore. I was uncomfortable. I went back to him more times than I could count, practically begging him to fix it. He kept making adjustments but never quite got it right. I was miserable.

The last time I saw him, he was very angry with me, although trying to appear calm. He made an adjustment but in his impatience, he nicked the tooth a little and shaved about 1/4 or 1/5 of the end off. I noticed it before leaving and immediately asked him about it. He denied doing it.

Now I was uncomfortable and hiding my smile again. A year went by and I was so uncomfortable with the feeling of the crown, I decided I needed to find another cosmetic dentist. I did, and drove 2 hours one way every time. I got the procedure finished up earlier this month, I have a new crown now. And I hate it. It's both wider and whiter than the other front tooth. And I think, the entire time I was complaining about the way the other one felt in my mouth, and was seriously uncomfortable, it was doing damage to my molars on that side. My teeth were coming together weird and I think that impacted the back teeth on that side. They hurt now. They are cold sensitive and hurt when I bite. I've been afraid to go into the dentist but I think I need to make an appointment tomorrow. I'm so terrified of what he will tell me. I'm scared I did serious irreversible damage. And I feel like i went through all this just to be back in the same position I was in only worse off. I hate my smile, but now my other teeth also hurt.

I wish so badly I could go back to before all this, when I had a crown that was comfortable, and yes it didn't match, but it wasn't doing damage to my other teeth, and wasn't killing the tooth by the bite being off, and wasn't giving me jaw pain. I would do anything to go back to that, just a couple of years ago.
Please stay strong. I know it’s hard, but you’ll get though it. We all will. Seems like that dentist screwed you over from the jump. I’m sorry this happened to you. It seems we all got taken advantage of in one one or the other. We got sold dreams by medical professionals we trusted. I wish I could go back to when my tooth was bonded, no it wasn’t perfect. but I was happy and healthy and had no pain.

C

Crybabybear

The dentist I saw was also violent and aggressive with my teeth eventually killing my tooth. I never heard of what you’re going through. Perhaps that area of your palate is sore/irritated and that’s why it feels like a splinter? I wonder if this will change when the cyst is removed. I’m sorry your feeling, the feeling is definitely mutual. I cried so bad when I left the dentist yesterday. I can’t believe this is what the rest of my life is going to be like. We’re in this together. I hope today is better for you, even if just for a moment.

S

shoo524

@AlwaysAnxious I know I can not believe they just throw up their hands. One top notch dentist told me crown my front teeth! Ugh. Thank you for replying.