• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Very anxious about dental appointment Tuesday

T

Trazie

Hello,

I have been avoiding the dentist for years, buying filling cement off ebay and generally struggling through.

I can no longer get away with this as my teeth are in such a mess, the top ones are almost worn away and I have two that have broken. I would, ideally, like to have all my teeth extracted and have dentures but I'm terrified. Is it possible to have iv sedation or a ga for this and would the dentist do it for me?

I live in Cheshire in the UK and although I've already made an appointment if anybody could please recommend a dentist that can help I can change it.

Thanks for reading x

I had IV sedation on a wisdom tooth. You do not even remember the procedure. Its like one moment they are prepping the IV then the next moment its all over with and your going home. Just do not drive yourself. You will be loopy for a day. I also had extractions fully awake and it does not hurt. it feels like pressure and you have to bite on gauze for a day. OTC pain meds work fine but they may write you a prescription

You are not alone in being afraid. I went over 20 years without visiting a dentist. I am still scared and still avoid the dentist till I am in pain but my fear is not as bad as it was. My avoidance of dentists are now do to money than the actual fear. I know the embarrassment of bad teeth but I am rather positive your dentist seen much worse.

I sense had 4 crowns put in and they were painless. The shots to numb feels like a pinch. You may want to ask the dentist if they offer sedation. It will usually say so on their website.

I see in the UK there is a place called Sweet Smiles that seem to specialize in nervous and anxious patients.

http://sweetsmiles.uk/nervous-patie...v9KrNVcA7vQh-fxha0Z_CWtaHcb6PsAm68aAqe28P8HAQ

Agree with the above user about not being alone of being afraid. Even though I been to the dentist since my first baby tooth came through (or probably slight before it) I have always been afraid of seeing the dentist even in my 30s,
I also agree with the above user dentist have seen everything worst than yours

Thank you for your replies, I'm going to check out sweet smiles as I'm not too far from Liverpool. The website of the dentist I've made the appointment with doesn't mention sedation so probably doesn't offer it ??

Back