• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Very anxious- should I be knocked out for full mini implant procedure or just stick with Valium?

I

Implants9876

Very anxious- should I be knocked out for full mini implant procedure or just stick with Valium?

I've been worrying myself sick about this procedure lately. I'm having 5 upper top teeth extracted (all I have left under my bridge) and then having numerous mini implants placed (on my upper set of gums). I'm not worried about the pain at all, I'm worried about gagging and/or vomiting as I have a huge fear of both. I also hate the feeling of having teeth extracted (and I've had plenty). I've had extensive dental work done and have never vomited, but I have gagged a few times from x-rays or something too far back in my mouth (my mouth is abnormally tiny). Obviously I'll have mini implants placed in the way back for stability. Apparently the surgery will take 2 hours.

My options are either to travel 3 hours to Buffalo, NY to be knocked out totally for the surgery, or I can travel only 45 to NYC and be slightly sedated with a mix of Valium and Benadryl prescribed by my surgeon.

I really don't know what the right route is, I could be totally fine conscious, but I also might not be. I'm scared I won't be able to go through with the procedure during the middle of it if I'm experiencing a lot of anxiety/discomfort. My surgeon thinks I'll be fine with just Valium and he is EXTREMELY experienced, but I don't know. I've literally been making myself sick to my stomach over this decision and the surgery itself. I have no experience with Valium, I've only taken an anti anxiety med (Xanax) once and it just made me dizzy, but I heard Valium just makes most people fall asleep?

Any guidance would be appreciated :)

Re: Very anxious- should I be knocked out for full mini implant procedure or just stick with Valium?

IV sedation is much much more reliable. There are plenty of dentists in NYC who could sedate you for this surgery.

Re: Very anxious- should I be knocked out for full mini implant procedure or just stick with Valium?

IV sedation is much much more reliable. There are plenty of dentists in NYC who could sedate you for this surgery.

More reliable in what sense? I like my surgeon and he's one of the pioneers of mini implants so I'm not really looking to change to any different dentist

Hey implants - you could have written my story right down to the tiny mouth! I also have a tremendous fear of gagging and v'ing. This is my biggest fear in the chair. I hate having all those instruments in my mouth and being in a position in which my head is lower than my feet as, despite all the assistant's good intentions of suctioning, water still seems to dribble down my throat and I fear it will make me gag. Those digital x-rays are a big challenge for those of us who are mouth-challenged, aren't they?

I also am going through implanting (I just had one implant done and have two more to go). I generally take a valium (between 2.5 - 7.5 mgs depending on what is being done, cleanings to root canals) before my appts but the surgeon who did my implant said he always gives his patients deep anesthesia via iv sedation for an upper implant, no exceptions. So I had no choice in the matter. Consider yourself fortunate that you have a doctor who is willing to compromise on this and let you make the decision.

Did he say how much you would be taking? If I were going to be awake for 5 implants/2 hours I would proabably need to take a good 10 mgs, possibly 15 which is way more than I generally take. My surgeon said I had to be put to sleep for an upper implant as if I were awake it would feel like he was drilling into my brain. That scared me, not sure if I would want to feel that. But others here (including dentists) said it isn't that bad. I'm not sure if I would want to be awake for 5 of these, though I think with enough valium it would be very doable. I've never had mini-implants, I'm wondering - are they easier to put in than regular implants?

If you do go the IV route ask them if they also give you something for nausea (such as promethazine) in the IV to help prevent any side effects from the sedation drugs. My surgeon routinely does this for everyone. If you go the valium route I would suggest you take an oral promethazine before your appt. It's an anti-nauseant and also an anti-histamine but stronger than benadryl so will help in making you sleepy.

Much as I didn't want to be put to sleep for my procedure I have to admit it was nice to be blissfuly unaware of what was going on and to wake up and have it be all over with.

Re: IV sedation being more reliable, comfortdentist may mean that the dentist is controlling how much you have, so the amount can be adjusted for you and you will be out totally, whereas with valium, different amounts affect people differently and it's hard to say exactly how much you need without experimenting and even then, 5 mgs may be fine one day, but on another day you might find you need 10 mgs. You don't want to get into the appt finding you didn't take enough and it's too late to take more nor do you want so much that you can't walk.

Hey implants - you could have written my story right down to the tiny mouth! I also have a tremendous fear of gagging and v'ing. This is my biggest fear in the chair. I hate having all those instruments in my mouth and being in a position in which my head is lower than my feet as, despite all the assistant's good intentions of suctioning, water still seems to dribble down my throat and I fear it will make me gag. Those digital x-rays are a big challenge for those of us who are mouth-challenged, aren't they?

I also am going through implanting (I just had one implant done and have two more to go). I generally take a valium (between 2.5 - 7.5 mgs depending on what is being done, cleanings to root canals) before my appts but the surgeon who did my implant said he always gives his patients deep anesthesia via iv sedation for an upper implant, no exceptions. So I had no choice in the matter. Consider yourself fortunate that you have a doctor who is willing to compromise on this and let you make the decision.

Did he say how much you would be taking? If I were going to be awake for 5 implants/2 hours I would proabably need to take a good 10 mgs, possibly 15 which is way more than I generally take. My surgeon said I had to be put to sleep for an upper implant as if I were awake it would feel like he was drilling into my brain. That scared me, not sure if I would want to feel that. But others here (including dentists) said it isn't that bad. I'm not sure if I would want to be awake for 5 of these, though I think with enough valium it would be very doable. I've never had mini-implants, I'm wondering - are they easier to put in than regular implants?

If you do go the IV route ask them if they also give you something for nausea (such as promethazine) in the IV to help prevent any side effects from the sedation drugs. My surgeon routinely does this for everyone. If you go the valium route I would suggest you take an oral promethazine before your appt. It's an anti-nauseant and also an anti-histamine but stronger than benadryl so will help in making you sleepy.

Much as I didn't want to be put to sleep for my procedure I have to admit it was nice to be blissfuly unaware of what was going on and to wake up and have it be all over with.

Re: IV sedation being more reliable, comfortdentist may mean that the dentist is controlling how much you have, so the amount can be adjusted for you and you will be out totally, whereas with valium, different amounts affect people differently and it's hard to say exactly how much you need without experimenting and even then, 5 mgs may be fine one day, but on another day you might find you need 10 mgs. You don't want to get into the appt finding you didn't take enough and it's too late to take more nor do you want so much that you can't walk.

Hey Sharon!! Can't believe there's actually someone around here with both a fear of gagging and vomiting- it's the worst huh? Having a small mouth definitely does not help, haha.

I think he'd be giving me around 10mg? But I'm leaning more toward the IV sedation now, even though I literally have to fly an hour (or drive 7 hours to Buffalo, I made a typo in the original post). I've never taken Valium as I don't need it for routine appointments or anything so I honestly have no idea how I'd react, but I took Xanax for panic attacks a few times and did not react well at all. I've had IV twilight sedation twice and suffered no nausea afterward, so I'm not sure whether or not they just automatically included an anti-nausea drug or I'm just lucky to not be a very nauseous person, but I'll definitely mention it regardless.

I'll make sure to consider everything you said!! Thanks so much!

Back