• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Very concerned , lump on my gums next to erupting wisdom tooth

A

Alexistired

This lump appeared on my gum next to my erupting wisdom tooth . It stings and it feels firm and hard to touch . Is this pericoronitis ? I couldn’t call my dentist today bc it was closed . I’m very concerned

Attachments

• A5A48CF8-C42A-4F1F-BEE8-979E527D28FC.jpeg
    A5A48CF8-C42A-4F1F-BEE8-979E527D28FC.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 6
Pericoronitis is pretty clearly associated with pain and stiffness of the jaw/limited opening. If you've not got that then it's not pericoronitis.

I'd get stuck in to some hot salt mouthwashes to see if you can reduce the slight irritation in the area.
What seems to trigger pericoronitis is a piece of food getting under the "flap" of gum, this sets off some infection, the flap swells up, it then gets traumatised by being bitten on by the upper teeth, which causes more swelling and so on.

Pericoronitis is pretty clearly associated with pain and stiffness of the jaw/limited opening. If you've not got that then it's not pericoronitis.

I'd get stuck in to some hot salt mouthwashes to see if you can reduce the slight irritation in the area.
What seems to trigger pericoronitis is a piece of food getting under the "flap" of gum, this sets off some infection, the flap swells up, it then gets traumatised by being bitten on by the upper teeth, which causes more swelling and so on.
I’ve been to the dentist . The gums are irritated but it’s not pericoronitis . She didn’t think I needed anything (not even antibiotics) ecc she just said to use a certain mouthwash and spray . I suffer from bruxism and I probably injured myself while sleeping at night but I am getting a mouth guard fitting soon . The only issue is the stinging / burning pain is not going away . I tried everything , it’s been more than a week and the burning pain is always there when it’s time to eat . I might be injuring myself every night when I go to sleep and bruxism start again . I tried salt rinses as well but the stinging pain is always there . Is there anything you suggest doing ? There’s no infection or anything relevant but the pain is annoying

Was the mouthwash/spray Difflam? If not, then get some of the mouthwash, use it before eating, should help a lot.

Was the mouthwash/spray Difflam? If not, then get some of the mouthwash, use it before eating, should help a lot.
Thank you the mouthwash is actually starting to help !