• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Very concerned right now

W

Woz

First i want to say what a relif it is to find this site, I've been reading through a lot of the posts and there are some very familar scenes here that i can relate to. It's nice to know i'm not the only person whos fear of dentists goes beyond just your average embaressment of someone looking in your mouth but is the cause of a very real stress and actual panic.

I can't remember where exactly this fear developed for me i haven't been to the dentist since i was 12 years old (I'm now 25), my mother could never get me to go since that time, i've either forgotten or just plain blanked it out.

Now my dental health has drastically declined in the last couple of years and today as i brushed my teeth i noticed the tooth just infront of the canine (if that's it name) is actually starting to turn black, now very worried i ran upstairs grabbed a small mirror went back to the bathroom to have a look at the back of my teeth. What i saw was the stuff of my nightmares, literally i have had nightmares with this situation and breathed a sigh of relif when i realized that is all it was. Five of my top front teeth have some really major decay or rot (which i'm praying is not the case) on the back side. I don't have a clue how i couldn't have noticed this before it got as bad as it is. What i find even more worrying is the decay seems to be happening towards the top of the teeth which i can only assume is the worst place for that to occur.

Now i'm left with a dilema. To go with my irrational fear of dentists i've got circumstances that are making it very hard for me to see light at the end of this nightmare. The first one is after 13 years with no treatment i don't have a dentist, the second problem is that i have been un-employed for the last 5 months and my savings don't even go into 4 figures. These two problems combined form a really hard to overcome circle, as with everything in my sodding existance.

It's my opinion that (in the UK at least) with dentistry you "get what you pay for". If you need fillings you have the choice of silver ones which will fix you up and do the job but make your mouth look like you've been chewing on foil, or, you can have white fillings which you can't even see but only if your a paying customer. I know the partially black tooth mean's extraction, all the other teeth i'm not so sure about since theres no pain and i didn't even notice what was back there until i shoved a mirror in my mouth.

I know i need to find a dentist and cross my fingers at some point but i'm not sure if i want to risk going in there if it means losing my front teeth, i don't think i could handle partial dentures, with the decay at the top of the teeth i'm not sure if theres anyway to cap it and dental implants are going at £2000 (roughly $4000) per tooth. If i try to get treatment now anything i get will be on the NHS, which is the silver filling catagory we talked about earlier. I'm fairly certain the fix for my situation at the moment would be to rip all these problem teeth out and fix me up with a set of partial dentures on a plastic plate which will come out the next time i take a bite on a sandwich, strangly this still does not scare me as much as the thought of sitting in that chair.

Right now a part of me is saying go now they might not have to do that, I'm really tempted to just wait it out until i get a job so i can get treated as a customer rather than a moocher and then at least have some options available on what treatment i'll recieve.

So that's it, i'd be happy to hear any advice especially from people who have been in a situation like this, my head is spinning right now because for the first time ever my fear is backed genuine reasons for not wanting to go.

Hi it could just be staining from fizzy drinks smoking tea coffee etc good luck with everything try not to panic till you know for sure at least but it sounds like stains to me if  x ps dont leave it any longer please get it sorted out before you get any worse lve had to go cos l was in agony and l hadnt been for 16 years the first time!! then l had a few years gap inbetween each visit only going when the pain forced me good luck

Hi :welcome:,
I agree that until you have had a dentist had a look, you won't even know if what you're looking at is just staining, and it might not cost you much at all to get things sorted.
My advice would be to ask others if they know a dentist with a great chairside manner whom they can highly recommend, see what the actual story is, and take it from there :).

Back