• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Very Happy with results!

symba

symba

Hello all....I had been coming here, reading trying to decide what to do, AND I went for it. My story is this...I was a dental assistant at one time, you wouldn't think I had any fear of the dentist? WRONG..The dentist I worked for replaced some old fillings, bad move on my part I do think. They never felt right, very sensitive..Anyway, I had a child, stayed home to care for him, meanwhile 12 years later I had NOT gone to the dentist myself. My teeth in the back were breaking done, slowly chipping away, how I avoided an infection is beyond me, AND the dentist I finally went to. I have ended up with a partial on the upper and lower. No one knows anything, not family, friends, NO ONE. Of course unless you inspect my mouth, you wouldn't know. I told my dentist, whom I just love, he's wonderful, wonderful staff, NO one treated me like an animal, I actually cried over how nice they were. I finished last week, and as far as I'm concerned no one will know I have an upper and lower partial. It's funny my mother, the one who knows me best,(and who I avoided for a few months until I finished) thinks my crowns look wonderful when I smile...:censored: which is exactly what I said I needed to have done..:devilish: I am very happy! NO trouble speaking, the upper one worried me, but I've been reading out loud since I got them. My dentist called to check on me, and said I sounded great! I guess my point is this. NO one knows what causes someone to end up with some bad teeth, I had braces when I was younger, I worked chairside for 6 years, I knew better and what needed to be done. Fear however won out. NOW, like I told my NEW wonderful dentist, I don't care if he wants to see me once a month, my hiney is going....:) I do not want to avoid people, OR avoid laughing as much, ever again. YOU can do it..and don't be ashamed....AND I want to add, when I was younger I always had the "laughing" gas for any work. For the first time in my life I didn't have it and felt NOTHING...I couldn't believe it, I didn't even feel the injection, IT'S all in the dentist you choose. As mine told me, it doesn't have to be painful, OR a bad experience. My partials...upper 2 teeth on each side in back. lower 2 on lower right, 1 on left and the four bottom front, which were loose....mom said, "it looks like you just got your braces off"....:hidesbehindsofa: Ok, we'll go with that.... She just thought they were turning, had no clue they needed to come out. NOW, if my mother thinks I had four crowns put on the lower, what does that say? NO one has to know...:) As far as I'm concerned, my husband won't know until I die and they hand him my teeth..:ROFLMAO:

Hi symba :welcome: - thanks so much for sharing your story. It's fantastic that you've managed to find a great dentist and tackled your fears - what a great achievement :cheers:! Congratulations :jump:!!

(P.S.: also, if you'd like to recommend your dentist to others who are in a similar situation, you can post in our Dentist Reviews forum - simply go to your area and post yourself, or alternatively you can e-mail [email protected] with the details. Any personal information will of course be edited out to protect your anonymity.)

Last edited:
I guess you kinda saw that I put my story in the wrong place....I was "hoping" it would be moved to the right place...big thank you!:)

I'm so happy to have read this since I'm about to get upper and lower partials! PLEASE tell me what type you have!!! Congratulations!
Peace,
Susan

Fabulous story - thanks for sharing :jump::party:.......you've made me think....part of the reason everyone still associates dentistry with pain and suffering is actually because even people working in the field think like this....based on their own experiences and based on observing others undergoing treatment.

You've hit the nail on the head though...it does indeed depend on the dentist..some do their utmost to keep everything painfree to the tiniest detail, others do not. I also just do everything with local but I'm pretty fussy where I go.

Your partials secret is certainly safe with us :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Okira..My partials are called Dental -D Partials. Valplast is similar. I love them! No one can tell anything, and they do, it looks like I just got my braces off. Like I said, I have been reading out loud because the upper was a little strange, felt "full" in the mouth at first. I am so happy and was SO very scared! I worked in the dental office, have you ever been to the dentist, and when they do the injection their hand is like moving back and forth, all different kinds of directions? WELL, this was my past experience, this time didn't happen, didn't feel anything, I closed my eyes, was waiting, and waiting, then I opened my eyes and his hand was still there, needle in my mouth, BUT he wasn't moving back and forth, amazing! He told me, it doesn't have to be done that way...:) I do, I just love him, and even though I'm married, I'm having that "hero" syndrome...He gave me my life back...:-* GO for it...you will be so happy...IF you have any questions I'd be more than happy to help...Oh, also, my partials were immeidate...no troubles..Today makes 1 week...I'm so happy!

have you ever been to the dentist, and when they do the injection their hand is like moving back and forth, all different kinds of directions? WELL, this was my past experience, this time didn't happen, didn't feel anything, I closed my eyes, was waiting, and waiting, then I opened my eyes and his hand was still there, needle in my mouth, BUT he wasn't moving back and forth, amazing! He told me, it doesn't have to be done that way...:) I do, I just love him, and even though I'm married, I'm having that "hero" syndrome...He gave me my life back...:-*

No..never experienced that thank goodness...doesn't sound like very good injection technique to me.
Still all's well that ends well...:cloud9: :-* what's being married got to do with it? Much as I love him, wouldn't want hubby working on my teeth :ROFLMAO:
What I mean is...loads of posters on here...to their amazement, end up using this smiley :-*about their dentist...welcome to the club.

Okira..My partials are called Dental -D Partials. Valplast is similar. I love them! No one can tell anything, and they do, it looks like I just got my braces off. Like I said, I have been reading out loud because the upper was a little strange, felt "full" in the mouth at first. I am so happy and was SO very scared! I worked in the dental office, have you ever been to the dentist, and when they do the injection their hand is like moving back and forth, all different kinds of directions? WELL, this was my past experience, this time didn't happen, didn't feel anything, I closed my eyes, was waiting, and waiting, then I opened my eyes and his hand was still there, needle in my mouth, BUT he wasn't moving back and forth, amazing! He told me, it doesn't have to be done that way...:) I do, I just love him, and even though I'm married, I'm having that "hero" syndrome...He gave me my life back...:-* GO for it...you will be so happy...IF you have any questions I'd be more than happy to help...Oh, also, my partials were immeidate...no troubles..Today makes 1 week...I'm so happy!

Thanks so much. You're really giving me hope! The description of the injection just made me shudder :( Thinking of immediate partials makes me shudder too! I'm to much of a wimp, so I'm going to wait until my gums are healed a bit. I'll definitely be asking you more questions, and I'm thrilled for your success!
Peace,
Susan

Thanks so much. You're really giving me hope! The description of the injection just made me shudder :( Thinking of immediate partials makes me shudder too! I'm to much of a wimp, so I'm going to wait until my gums are healed a bit. I'll definitely be asking you more questions, and I'm thrilled for your success!

It's not that bad, immediate partials. I went ahead and took care of the back few teeth that needed to come out. THEN I had 2 crowns (SO for the loved ones I told I was getting some fillings and crowns done) I wasn't totally untruthful....:censored: I just couldn't imagine going a few weeks with the four bottom teeth gone, that would have been a dead give away....My Dentist totally understood. I honestly had NO troubles, as I've said it was a week ago yesterday. I took motrin and was fine. One funny thing, I haven't told "anyone" about my journey, SO hear I am still numb, one of my girlfriends called, I started not to answer and just call back later, then I thought, NO I need to go ahead and start talking as soon as possible. She knew I had a dental appointment, so she over looked the "thick" tongue talking....:) I am SO happy you are going to do this...YOU just wait, you'll be fine...again, IF there is anything I can do, please let me know...I've been where you're at, just a few short months ago...my journey started Dec.22 07, and now, here I am all finished...I hate for it to seem like I'm rambling on and on...BUT this board has helped me so much, I lurked in the shadows for awhile....:) I'm just so happy to be on this "end" of things now. FOR anyone who is putting this off...don't, it's the best thing you can do for yourself. I can't believe, what a difference having my "old" smile back has made. Working in the field, I knew there were people with dental problems, but when it happens to you, you think I'm the only one, people are going to look at me differently...There were times I felt less than human...AND had no one to share my pain with. God Bless and GOOD luck....

Fabulous story - thanks for sharing :jump::party:.......you've made me think....part of the reason everyone still associates dentistry with pain and suffering is actually because even people working in the field think like this....based on their own experiences and based on observing others undergoing treatment.

You've hit the nail on the head though...it does indeed depend on the dentist..some do their utmost to keep everything painfree to the tiniest detail, others do not. I also just do everything with local but I'm pretty fussy where I go.

Your partials secret is certainly safe with us :ROFLMAO:

This is so very true...I have seen patients ready to rip the arms off the chair...It's uncalled for...I knew what the Dentist was like I worked with...BUT you do get your work done for free...Again, goes to show you, ya get what ya pay for...:) My "fear" came from knowing "too" much as to what goes on...IT all came down to the right Dentist, and let me tell ya, I'd walk through fire for that man. When all was done, he hugged me, the staff hugged me..The Assistant called me that evening around 4pm..Then he called at 5:30 to make sure all was well....For their excellent patient rapport, this past Monday, the office was greeted with an edible arrangement of fruits...:) I just love them all!!

Back