• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

very high bite after maryland bridge

J

johnplayer

My dentist has fitted me a new single wing maryland bridge. Once cemented it felt that the bite is quite high, the only thing that was meeting when I try to close my mouth is the the wing of the new bridge and one tooth of lower jaw directly below the wing. All other teeth fail to meet together.

The dentist says that this is quite normal and it can take from a couple of weeks to several months for it to adjust itself. I thought I will give it a try for a couple of weeks but now after a couple of weeks I do not see any improvement or even any slight change in bite. It has actually gotten worse as now my jaw is hurting. I can feel my lower jaw move towards left when i try to close my mouth or chew food, therefore I have resorted to eating only soft foods, and try not to close my teeth.

I visited my dentist again to discuss this after waiting for a couple of weeks and he still says that it will adjust and mentioned something called a "Dahl Effect" of inclusion and exclusion. He also mentions that the tooth supporting the wing of the bridge is not very thick and also if he tries to grind the wing to make it the wing thinner then it will fail to support the pontic.

Please give advice if this is normal with new maryland bridges, or how should the bite can be fixed in this scenario if I want to keep my bridge. Shall I wait for months so that my bite will adjust, will that have any affect on my jaw as it has become kind of sore from one side since i had this bridge.

Hi johnplayer,

Sorry to hear you are having all this discomfort. It is common practice to fit such bridges high as your dentist described. The bite should sort itself out as he mentioned. However, there may be the odd occasion when this does not happen, so keep him informed if you are not making progress.
I have limited experience of this as I have yet to try fitting one high as I am a sensitive soul and want my patients to like me!

Hope it all works out

Lincoln

This is an English technique first discovered many years ago. It isn't practiced here in the states. From what I understand it should be okay in about a month. I would be interested to know if it feels fine then and secondly did the appearance of the tooth change as in did it move from the force so it is sticking out more. I don't have this answer.

Thanks for your replies. My concern is that there has to be some movement in order to adjust the bite. I will be interested to see that where that movement takes place. If this is going to move my existing teeth in an uncontrolled manner, I would be worried. Dahl effect I would assume would be very controlled in order to make some inter-ocular space.

Is this going to cause a permanent damage or malign my jaw? I don't know I have read online that jaw issues can lead to headaches and back pains.

I might give it a month more and see if it shows any sign on improvement.

Hi johnplayer,

Sorry to hear you are having all this discomfort. It is common practice to fit such bridges high as your dentist described. The bite should sort itself out as he mentioned. However, there may be the odd occasion when this does not happen, so keep him informed if you are not making progress.
I have limited experience of this as I have yet to try fitting one high as I am a sensitive soul and want my patients to like me!

Hope it all works out

Lincoln
This is an English technique first discovered many years ago. It isn't practiced here in the states. From what I understand it should be okay in about a month. I would be interested to know if it feels fine then and secondly did the appearance of the tooth change as in did it move from the force so it is sticking out more. I don't have this answer.
thanks; this may be relevant to me too. Only I wonder whether this only applies immediately after extraction? My extraction was in Nov last. Thanks.

My dentist has fitted me a new single wing maryland bridge. Once cemented it felt that the bite is quite high, the only thing that was meeting when I try to close my mouth is the the wing of the new bridge and one tooth of lower jaw directly below the wing. All other teeth fail to meet together.

The dentist says that this is quite normal and it can take from a couple of weeks to several months for it to adjust itself. I thought I will give it a try for a couple of weeks but now after a couple of weeks I do not see any improvement or even any slight change in bite. It has actually gotten worse as now my jaw is hurting. I can feel my lower jaw move towards left when i try to close my mouth or chew food, therefore I have resorted to eating only soft foods, and try not to close my teeth.

I visited my dentist again to discuss this after waiting for a couple of weeks and he still says that it will adjust and mentioned something called a "Dahl Effect" of inclusion and exclusion. He also mentions that the tooth supporting the wing of the bridge is not very thick and also if he tries to grind the wing to make it the wing thinner then it will fail to support the pontic.

Please give advice if this is normal with new maryland bridges, or how should the bite can be fixed in this scenario if I want to keep my bridge. Shall I wait for months so that my bite will adjust, will that have any affect on my jaw as it has become kind of sore from one side since i had this bridge.
I am having a very similar problem and posted (being new to this site I don't know where they have put my post) - I'd be interested to know whether your bite has now settled? My first one was so high that my jaw hurt as well - I tried acupressure (2 points in front of ears, you can find images on google) which helped a bit. Best wishes,

Hi, your thread is right here in the Ask a Dentist section: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/forum/threads/oh-maryland.26984/

It was moved from Support (which is more about emotional support and working up the courage to see a dentist).

Did you get a notification that your thread has been moved?

You should be able to find all your threads by going to the little round symbol in the yellow navigation bar near the top and clicking on “Your content”.

Hi, your thread is right here in the Ask a Dentist section: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/forum/threads/oh-maryland.26984/

It was moved from Support (which is more about emotional support and working up the courage to see a dentist).

Did you get a notification that your thread has been moved?

You should be able to find all your threads by going to the little round symbol in the yellow navigation bar near the top and clicking on “Your content”.
- thanks I got a message with a comment that my message had ben moved - but could not find out where to. TY.

Good to know - thanks for the info!

Hi, Here is my update.

I gave 2 months to my single wing bridge with a high bite hoping that it will settle down or any so called 'Dahl effect' will take place. But unfortunately the only thing I got was jaw pain and I never got used to high bite and I am 100% sure that it had not moved/adjusted a tiny bit in 2 months.

So I went back to the dentist last week and asked him to either make the bite correct or take the bridge off. He insisted that he will try to make a hole/drill the high spot a bit by bit to adjust the bite. So I let him do it and when I left at the end of that session it was still a bit high but not that much so I though I will give it a few days, and here you go it didn't last a few hours and came off.

I returned the broken bridge and got the refund. It was a wasted 2 to 4 months and more than 6 round trips to dentist. Here I am back to square one (or back to the square hole).

On a positive note I am very relaxed now, saving money for implant. In the meanwhile relying on the DIY artificial tooth kit from Amazon for 10 quid.

Regards
J

Well I saw a patient today that has a bridge that was placed high last year. It is still high so I will grind it into place.

It might not be as high as mine. I can not imagine living a year with pain in jaws and so much discomfort, I would rather be without one.

Back