• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Very sad and anxious about my Dental bridge

D

DaphneM

Hello everyone,

Three weeks ago I’ve had my dental bridges placed. Two bridges both on front teeth and canines. I don’t have lateral incisors since birth.Throughout the whole treatments I’ve been extremely stressed/anxious but managed to get trough the appointments using some benzodiazepines.

But now, when the bridges are placed I am experiencing some weird sensations around the right bridge. It feels like the bridge around the canine is pressing into my gums, as if there is something between it. I want to keep flossing, but there is nothing? Also, sometimes I feel like there is much pressure on the canine.

This feeling makes me go absolutely nuts. It doesn’t hurt but it is so annoying. I don’t know what causes this weird feeling of having something between my teeth when there isn’t? I’ve been crying for two weeks straight, can’t concentrate, eat or sleep and my anxiety is going through the roof. I feel so sad because before this I was mentally in a good place, but right now I only feel very depressed and stressed all day long :(
If I had known this before, I would never have the bridges again! I have so much regret.

I’ve been back to the dentist, he did some tests, said it wasn’t inflamed, gums looked good and he adjusted the bridge a bit. He also made me a nightguard which hasn’t helped so far. I don’t know what to do. I asked him what was causing this feeling and he simply answered: “I don’t know”. This made me feel even more anxious.

Can somebody tell me what is causing this feeling? If there is something you can do about it, and if not, how long it will take to go away? You would help me tremendously!

I have to wait 2 more weeks for my second opinion with another dentist but meanwhile I’m going kinda crazy.

Thank you so much!!

Last edited:
Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
The dentist made absolutely certain that there was no little bits of dental cement left around the bridge? That would be my first guess. I can't think of anything else without seeing you I'm afraid.

D

DaphneM

Hello Gordon,

Thanks for your reply. I think he made sure there is no dental cement left. I will ask the other dentist to check it out.

My stepfather told me he had the same feeling after he had his dental implant. It went away after a couple of weeks. So I hope the same will happen to me. It’s kinda weird because when I first got them placed with temporary cement they fitted perfectly! It started after he used the permanent cement. I also started to have tension in my jaw and my neck. Think it is because all of the stress from this weird feeling, but not quite sure. I have to say, sometimes it goes away for a couple of hours.

I give it a few more weeks. if this feeling is here to stay I would definitly come to visit you in the UK (I think that is where you are?) I am Dutch, but my boyfriend has family in the UK. So that would’nt be a problem. :)

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Sometimes it just needs a bit of time, if it was really tight between where the teeth contact (which is kind of a good thing) then it'll improve as the teeth shuffle along a bit to accommodate it.
Stress will certainly give you aches and pains in your TMJ/neck muscles.

You're welcome to come for a visit, it's very lovely around here in the Highlands, but I don't practice dentistry any more, I'm happily retired :)