• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Very sad and anxious about my Dental bridge

D

DaphneM

Hello everyone,

Three weeks ago I’ve had my dental bridges placed. Two bridges both on front teeth and canines. I don’t have lateral incisors since birth.Throughout the whole treatments I’ve been extremely stressed/anxious but managed to get trough the appointments using some benzodiazepines.

But now, when the bridges are placed I am experiencing some weird sensations around the right bridge. It feels like the bridge around the canine is pressing into my gums, as if there is something between it. I want to keep flossing, but there is nothing? Also, sometimes I feel like there is much pressure on the canine.

This feeling makes me go absolutely nuts. It doesn’t hurt but it is so annoying. I don’t know what causes this weird feeling of having something between my teeth when there isn’t? I’ve been crying for two weeks straight, can’t concentrate, eat or sleep and my anxiety is going through the roof. I feel so sad because before this I was mentally in a good place, but right now I only feel very depressed and stressed all day long :(
If I had known this before, I would never have the bridges again! I have so much regret.

I’ve been back to the dentist, he did some tests, said it wasn’t inflamed, gums looked good and he adjusted the bridge a bit. He also made me a nightguard which hasn’t helped so far. I don’t know what to do. I asked him what was causing this feeling and he simply answered: “I don’t know”. This made me feel even more anxious.

Can somebody tell me what is causing this feeling? If there is something you can do about it, and if not, how long it will take to go away? You would help me tremendously!

I have to wait 2 more weeks for my second opinion with another dentist but meanwhile I’m going kinda crazy.

Thank you so much!!

Last edited:
Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
The dentist made absolutely certain that there was no little bits of dental cement left around the bridge? That would be my first guess. I can't think of anything else without seeing you I'm afraid.

D

DaphneM

Hello Gordon,

Thanks for your reply. I think he made sure there is no dental cement left. I will ask the other dentist to check it out.

My stepfather told me he had the same feeling after he had his dental implant. It went away after a couple of weeks. So I hope the same will happen to me. It’s kinda weird because when I first got them placed with temporary cement they fitted perfectly! It started after he used the permanent cement. I also started to have tension in my jaw and my neck. Think it is because all of the stress from this weird feeling, but not quite sure. I have to say, sometimes it goes away for a couple of hours.

I give it a few more weeks. if this feeling is here to stay I would definitly come to visit you in the UK (I think that is where you are?) I am Dutch, but my boyfriend has family in the UK. So that would’nt be a problem. :)

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Sometimes it just needs a bit of time, if it was really tight between where the teeth contact (which is kind of a good thing) then it'll improve as the teeth shuffle along a bit to accommodate it.
Stress will certainly give you aches and pains in your TMJ/neck muscles.

You're welcome to come for a visit, it's very lovely around here in the Highlands, but I don't practice dentistry any more, I'm happily retired :)

D

DaphneM

Thanks for your reply. Made me feel a bit more relaxed. :)

I have another question. Is it normal that when I swallow I can feel the bridge move a little? It’s a weird feeling. It also happens when I press my tongue against it. I don’t feel the same on the other side. When I touched it with my fingers I heard it cracking/ticking a little. Could this be due to teeth clenching?

Can’t wait for my second opinion on Thursday!

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Yes, a bit, however if you're biting really hard on that bridge then the movement might be more pronounced. I'd be checking the bite really carefully if I were your dentist.

D

DaphneM

Hello Gordon,

I had my second opinion today. It was all good. My bite was perfect, there was no dental cement left, contact between the teeth and bridge was perfect and no signs of any inflammation. He even complimented me on my bridges cause they look so good!

So this is all good news, except that I still walk around with this weird feeling. He couldn’t tell me what it was. I’m kinda scared it will never go away, as my own dentist told me I should get used to it. Well... I can’t get used to this!

Could it be due to stress or jaw clenching you think? I consider visiting a physiotherapist specialized in jaw issues to see if they can help. Cause at the same time I started having headaches and my neck feels kinda stiff.

And if it doesn’t disappear, would a new bridge be an option? I also asked this the dentist today, he said it happens people keep having this weird sensations and sometimes it helps to remove this one and place a new one. Is this true?

Thank you so much for answering my questions. You’ve been a great help!:)

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Stress tends to lead to clenching and grinding teeth (bruxism), no doubt of that. It might be worth asking about a dental splint to see if that helps any, if you are bruxing then you could do with one anyway.
A new bridge might help, just out of interest was that one done in the traditional manner with impressions etc or was it done in surgery with a CAD/CAM system?
Traditional ones are hand made and incorporate minor differences in porcelain thickness and so on, so another one will most certainly be different from what you have now if that makes sense... unless it was a CAD/CAM job which are far more repeatable from case to case :)

I'd try a splint first, even a cheap one from a pharmacy might do the trick.

D

DaphneM

Thanks Gordon,

I Don’t know what came first, it all started after placing the bridges with permanent cement. Before that, there was no trouble at all. I read somewhere online that sometimes a long seat at the dentist having your mouth wide open can give triggerpoints in your jaw causing pain. Also, when a dentist makes big changes, like bridges, that it can cause people to start clenching. But it’s kinda weird because it’s only around the right bridge, always around the canine. I can’t believe this is all due to jaw clenching, because the other teeth don’t hurt. I already wear a splint for almost 2 weeks now. Doesn’t help! :(

I believe the bridge is handmade. I will make an appointment with my dentist next week to talk about it. It’s starting to drive me crazy. And I am afraid another bridge will also hurt :(

Last edited:
D

DaphneM

I wonder if it hurts to take the bridge of? Is anesthesia needed for that? I had Ultracaine with adrenalin. Last time I got really cold and sweaty with heart palpitations and felt very anxious. Didn’t feel good after. Think it might be due to the Adrenalin. Is there another option without adrenalin?

Soooo many questions! Haha.

I scheduled an appointment with an physiotherapist for my jaw next week. :) hope it will help

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Daphne, Not sure if it hurts to take bridge off , just wanted to say I hear you on the adrenaline.. I got that the last time and felt those heart palpitations and had to sit up and grab the chair. I've never felt that before with my dentist. hopefully it was an off time. maybe yours was too? :clover::clover::clover: I know I"ve had shots with adrenaine before and it wasn't like that , alot more subtle.

D

DaphneM

I had the same. I wanted to run away haha. Maybe it was just a one time experience? I don’t know. Just wondering if there are other options. Had a lot of anesthesia with adrenalin and stress the past few months so maybe my body just doesn’t want the adrenalin anymore, haha! Thanks for your response :)

Great forum by the way, you are all so kind!

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Depends on what's underneath the bridge whether it needs anaesthetic to remove it, are the support teeth root treated?
If not then it will certainly need local.

D

DaphneM

No, they are not root treated. Lucky me.o_O But it’s good to know, so I will be prepared. Not looking forward to it though.

I did not expect so much trouble with the bridges. Does this Happen to more people? I feel like some sort of alien with special kind of teeth and nobody knows what is wrong with it. 😂

D

DaphneM

When a bridge doesn’t fit right, how long Will it take for cavities to get in the teeth under the bridge? Can this happen in one month?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
In one month? Not a chance :)
Bridges on root treated canines are pretty compromised from the start, so it is a good thing really.

D

DaphneM

Thanks Gordon! I really don’t want a root treatment.

I’m going to call my dentist tomorrow and ask him to remove the bridge. It’s been causing trouble for over a month now. I’ve lost way too much weight and I’ve been taking meds because I’m getting so much stress from the pressure feeling. I can’t get used to this.

I think it isn’t placed correctly. It has way more movement then the left bridge, the clicking sound, the pressure and yesterday I got a taste of metal/blood in my mouth. Also, when I flossed it this week, it heard a loud cracking sound. As if something was breaking.

I hope he has time soon. I feel awful. All I can do is lay in bed and cry. I just want it to be over. Wondering what my options are after it is removed.

Last edited:
D

DaphneM

So, I went to my dentist this morning. He used some sort of little hammer (I don’t know the English word for it) and the bridge came off in like 5 seconds! Feeling so relieved and so much better now! I thought it was all in my head. It’s placed again with temporary cement, hoping it will get better now!

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
If it came off that easily, then it most probably wasn't cemented on properly! How does it feel now?

D

DaphneM

It feels a lot better! No pressure all day long anymore. But when I chew, I do feel a little pressure. But I’m very focused on my mouth right now. I have to lower my stress levels.

Weird question maybe, but is it possible when you are very stressed and your neck musscles are tight they change your jaw and your bite? It feels as if I have more contact between that canine and the under teeth. Before this wasn’t the case. Body’s are so complicated o_O

I still have headaches and very tight musscles around my face. I will visit my GP tomorrow and also ask him. Thuesday is my appointment with a physiotherapist.