• Welcome! It's great to see you.

Most of our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who have an extreme fear of the dentist, or a fear of specific things that they dread about dental visits. Other members have had these fears at some point in their lives. Amongst our membership there is a wealth of expertise that has been developed through having to deal with dental phobia and anxiety.

We are an actively moderated forum with a team of experienced moderators that works hard to keep the forum safe for visitors and members.

We are also lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators, who can help with any dental (or other!) questions you may have. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dentist. We are always happy to welcome new dentists to our community - please do join in the discussions!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Very sad and anxious about my Dental bridge

C

comfortdentist

Verified dentist
My house is gluten free so it wasn't us

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now I am curious about the US if there is flour out there :) :).. I wasn't checking for this.. but it would be great to make some cake pops.. maybe toilet paper themed cakepops for the occassion.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
No flour, no yeast, no pasta and no rice :( as you say, I'm not sure how the panic buyers planned to use it all up, you could buy plenty of bread in the shops, you'd think that would have been easier.

However, the local vegan cafe had a large stock of strong white flour and yeast, so because they were unfortunately forced to close by the virus, we managed to acquire plenty of flour and yeast yesterday, so pizza was back on the menu last night.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
What's a cakepop? Sounds like something I'd like!

D

DaphneM

I love cakepops! Still enough flower and rice in the Netherlands. Not enough toilet paper though 😂

M

MountainMama

Now I am curious about the US if there is flour out there :) :).. I wasn't checking for this.. but it would be great to make some cake pops.. maybe toilet paper themed cakepops for the occassion.
Our supermarket has been out of flour for weeks. I can’t get all purpose or bread flour.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
So these are not the most professional :) lol.. but the first picture I could find of one of my batches.. hehe. I have made tooth cakepops to give to my dentists..my previous dentist calls me "cakepop kelly " lol

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
@MountainMama .... hope you can find it soon.... Thankfully I have one 5 lber left from before all this hit. but hope we can all start finding things we need.
@Gordon, the cake pops are made with a mixture of cake and frosting together then dipped in chocolate coating .. and decorated .. the problem, I can eat about 6 at a time if I let myself :p..
When I gave it to my angel dentist he said.. oh great.. a way I can eat the whole cake in one sitting" lol

D

DaphneM

Maybe I should make my dentist some tooth cakepops so he finally fixes my problems. Haha! Would it work you think?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Never heard of them before, but I would really like to taste them now. I'm not much into cakes but those look interesting :)
Will need to google some recipes, since we still have flour :)

Judythecat

Judythecat

At the end of my terrible year before my neuralgia diagnosis when I was trotting back and forth every five minutes, I brought biscuits and cakes (from M&S, not home made) into the surgery at Christmas. I thought I might get a row because obviously not very healthy for teeth, but my dentist said they would be hoovered up in minutes!

@Gordon since you're active on this thread, I hope you don't mind me asking - how long does it generally take for tooth problems to pop up? I'm on three month checks because of my atypical facial pain, and obviously my next appointment at the end of April will be cancelled. My last one at the end of January was all fine tooth-wise, gums scoring 0/1, and one 2 up by my upper wisdom tooth which is always a nuisance.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
I'd honestly expect it to be possibly years for somebody with good plaque control and a sensible diet, we had some patients on 2 year recall when I was still in practice.

I've never seen anyone who can hoover up sweets and biscuits like a bunch of dental nurses, apart from a Polish chocolate bar that a sweet Polish lady brought me, Birdy Milk or something it was called. Even dental nurses turned their noses up at it :)

Judythecat

Judythecat

I'd honestly expect it to be possibly years for somebody with good plaque control and a sensible diet, we had some patients on 2 year recall when I was still in practice.

I've never seen anyone who can hoover up sweets and biscuits like a bunch of dental nurses, apart from a Polish chocolate bar that a sweet Polish lady brought me, Birdy Milk or something it was called. Even dental nurses turned their noses up at it :)
Thank you for the reassurance, that is really helpful. I was on six month checkups prior to the AFP, I brush and floss twice a day, and my diet is pretty good, no real snacking between meals - although probably too much wine in the current circumstances!

I teach a lot of Eastern European students, and often get gifts of sweets from their home countries. Some are definitely better than others. I used to teach a guy whose family lived in Switzerland - his gifts were my favourite!

G

Gilbo

Money isn’t really an issue right now, as it’s not worth to suffer like this.
Hi DaphneM. Sorry to break into your post, but could I just ask, especially if money isn't an issue for you, why you didn't go for implants?

I have had a tooth out recently and was hoping for a bridge (over VERY troubled water), to solve my issue. Your thread has rather put me off the whole idea now, I too have a very sensitive mouth and feel sure that I may well have the same problems you are asking about, which is why I am considering an implant! The teeth either side of my new gap, are rubbing against the side and top of my tongue, especially the one right at the back of my mouth (top left side), which is between where the wisdom tooth used to be and now the new gap. It's almost like someone put a single tooth on the top of my tongue and glued it there, or said that I mustn't remove it, though it is really digging in. I don't seem to getting used to it yet, though really hope I will one day soon! This is making me very nauseous and causing lots of panic attacks and waves of fear!

Gordon said it could take 4-6 months for the gap to heal enough to even have a bridge fitted! Unfortunately for me, money really IS a big issue and although I could maybe afford a 'cheap' implant, this would swallow up all of my savings and I may still need to borrow some, as apparently there can be 'extras' that can crop up and need to be paid for. The Coronavirus has been very bad for me, as my previous dentist put off this extraction for 15 weeks (till May 13th) and being unable to wait that long, as I was in constant pain and the tooth actually split in two to below the gumline, I went and found a new dentist, who made me an appt. for Mar. 26th, which of course has now been cancelled and rescheduled for a minimum of 13 weeks! So, caught between dentists, means I have no-one left to see, except for an emergency service, who says that my problems are NOT an emergency, as the last lady I saw laughed at me for having mental health problems!

So I'd love to know why you chose bridges over implants please, (if you don't mind me asking?) I have seen lots of horror stories and YouTube videos of people fixing their own teeth/making fake teeth and even their own full or partial dentures! There are thousands of these videos out there and some of them look pretty scary. I'm not doing them, though did try to make a fake plastic tooth (from a kit I bought), which is of course absolute rubbish and tastes funny! The only two real solutions I have found so far, being a stick and a half of chewing gum moulded into the gap, or my ten-year-old night guard, which I have to stick in very hot water to reshape, as being old, it doesn't fit properly anymore and makes my gums bleed if I don't do that. I only use this at night, as it sets off my gag reflex during the day. Especially when talking to people!

Sorry to waffle on so. I always mean for my posts to be very short, concise and to the point, but something always happens along the way to change that!

D

DaphneM

Hi @Gilbo, I don’t mind you are breaking in. My post was already about cakepops and lack of flour due to covid, not a problem at all. Haha!

I didn’t go for implants because there wasn’t enough space between te incisors and canines. I have a very small jaw. This was the treatment plan my dentist offered and thought would be the best option for me. Also, I had one bad incisors, so it’s better now that it’s a crown. Before this, I had a Maryland bridge where I never had trouble with and had it for 12 years. So I thought this bridge would be just as easy and I didn’t expect so many trouble.

Also (I hope I don’t scare anyone), another reason why I didn’t want implants was because I once read a study about implant pain and that scared the hell out of me. I read people who suffered from depression and anxiety and have medically unexplained physical symptoms (which I had in the past) were more prone to suffer from these implant pains. So I was actually glad my dentist didn’t came up with that haha! But boy, if I’d only knew it would cause so much trouble, I wouldn’t have done it. I never, ever want a dental bridge again. Never!

Remember, with my bridge a lot did go wrong. I’m sure if you have a good dentist who would make a proper bridge, you will be fine. When I first got my bridge, I was very happy with it and barely noticed it. Untill it did go wrong.

I’m not having the biggest savings either, but trust me, if you suffer like I do at the moment. You are willing to pay. If I were you, I’d find a good dentist and see what he or she recommends in your situation. And if you really can’t afford an implant, I would go with a bridge. Trust me, I’m just unlucky. There are more succestories with bridges then there are horror stories like mine.

Haha, no problem about the long post. It’s nice if I can be at help to someone. Let us know what you will choose!

Last edited:
G

Gilbo

I choose cakepops! But seriously though DaphneM, I never knew having a tooth out would cause SO many problems. I have heard about problems with implants too and wonder if that would be the best option for me? Looking around YouTube and the internet in general, reveals that many thousands of people seem to have major problems with their teeth/dentures/implants and bridges etc, They all seem, like us, to be willing to spend whatever they have, in order to fix the problem and hungry/greedy dentists (mostly in the US or UK, with enormous, private practices), seem only too willing to relieve us of our cash. Especially those who seem to have loads of it! If I ever do get to see my new dentist someday, I will try to ask her what she recommends for my case, although I'm usually not very lucky with dentists, as they either seem to dislike me, or tell me what they're going to do to my mouth, without me having any say in it at all!

Not the dentists on this site though, I hasten to add, as they all come across as absolutely charming! Maybe I should register with one of them? Well, the ones who are still working in the profession that is! 😁

D

DaphneM

You should never look on the internet, you will only find the worst stories, barely someone writes about their succes stories. If I hadn’t had so much problems, I would probably never found this forum and never wrote a single thing about it on the internet. But I have to say, I do regret not having done my research first.

If you are not prone to anxiety, depression, weird body sensations or unexplainable pains, I would go for an implant. My sister and stepfather are both very happy with their implants. But your dentist knows best. And if you don’t trust his or her advice, go get a second opinion before making any big decisions.

I always had a nice dentist when I was younger, I switched to this one about two years ago because the other one retired and I didn’t like the big office his replacer was in. I always was seen by another dentist. I didn’t like that. My dentist is a good guy. Problem is, he is German and his Dutch isn’t that good. So he isn’t very communicative. But he cares and he still treats me while this covid thing is going on. I think that’s very kind of him to do so. It could have been much worse. But I would trade him for Gordon or comfortdentist! Haha!

In the Netherlands we have standardized prices for dentistry. So no matter which practice you go, you always have to pay the same. Although some dentist like to make it a bit more expensive than others, but that’s against the law. My two bridges cost about €3200. But I got them fully paid out of my insurance because it’s a birth defect.

So, it’s 2:31am over here. Just had the munchies, so I’m going to brush my teeth again and trying to get some sleep. Why is it that I always get hungry after brushing my teeth? I’m never hungry, only at the dentist and at midnight after brushing my teeth. I swear they put something in that stuff that makes you want to eat, so you have to brush more and therefore sell you more toothpaste. Haha!

Last edited: