• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Very sad and anxious about my Dental bridge

M

MountainMama

@MountainMama Forgot to ask. Did you already went to the oral surgeon? If yes, what did he/she said?
I did. He is referring me to my general doctor for neurological testing. He said he thinks most of the pain is neuralgia. His thoughts are Atypical Facial Pain. So not great news, as there is no cure for that, and I am not keen on taking medication that has some pretty severe side effects. He said that the medication does not work for everyone either.

M

MountainMama

@MountainMama that doesn’t sound so great. I feel sorry for you. Do you have pain 24/7? Do you have any idea how this happened?
The pain comes and goes in severity. I usually can sleep at night and it doesn’t bother me. If I wake up, I sometimes feel mild pain, but overall it is during the day mostly. No idea why, but I would guess it was triggered when I had my first root canal two years ago. I have had nonstop problems since then. At least one, possibly two of the molars I have had extracted may not have actually had any problems, according to my oral surgeon. He said that often when a patient has unexplained pain over and over, it gets diagnosed as a crack and then gets a root canal when a crown doesn’t work.
Before I had the first root canal (which failed, as did an apicoectomy), my teeth hadn’t needed any work since I was a kid and had braces. My dentists had always complimented my oral hygiene. So all of a sudden having issue after issue, and being diagnosed with multiple cracked teeth did not make sense to me at all.

D

DaphneM

@MountainMama So the extracted teeth are the result of trigger neuralgia? Or am I not getting it?

I never had any dental problems either. This is all new to me, and it’s absolutely hellish. The taste in my mouth is a bit better, but I’m still nauseous. Wondering if it was really my bridge or if it is something else. My tolerance is very low right now due to all the dental stress, so this doesn’t really come at the right time. I just gained 2 kilos, and because everything tastes so bad, I don’t really feel like eating. I’m really struggling again. I feel so tired all the time and worrying about all the things that are wrong or could go wrong. One more month and hopefully things start to get better.

I’m also a bit scared of what will happen then. You get used to the pain and disconfort. It’s some sort of new normal. I’m wondering what will happen after that treatment. Hopefully things will get better, but I’m still scared. What if it turns out being worse? I just want some rest.

M

MountainMama

@MountainMama So the extracted teeth are the result of trigger neuralgia? Or am I not getting it?

I never had any dental problems either. This is all new to me, and it’s absolutely hellish. The taste in my mouth is a bit better, but I’m still nauseous. Wondering if it was really my bridge or if it is something else. My tolerance is very low right now due to all the dental stress, so this doesn’t really come at the right time. I just gained 2 kilos, and because everything tastes so bad, I don’t really feel like eating. I’m really struggling again. I feel so tired all the time and worrying about all the things that are wrong or could go wrong. One more month and hopefully things start to get better.

I’m also a bit scared of what will happen then. You get used to the pain and disconfort. It’s some sort of new normal. I’m wondering what will happen after that treatment. Hopefully things will get better, but I’m still scared. What if it turns out being worse? I just want some rest.
I can’t know for sure, but the neuralgia could have mimicked nerve pain, so the tooth still hurt after treatment and was classified as irreversible pulpitis. I am in a lot of pain today.

D

DaphneM

@MountainMama I heard more people who had neuralgia had multiple dentistry work done, even extracted teeth because they thought it was a dental issue. Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. It sucks to have so much pain.

I’m still nauseous. Gonna give my GP a phone call tomorrow. I’m surviving on some fruits right now.

I’d also called my dentist. He doesn’t have time until 11th of June. Exactly one day for my first appointment at the University Hospital. Kinda sucks because I don’t know until then if he is willing to pay me back. I really hope we can get to an agreement as I don’t like to play it the hard way.

I ordered myself a nice new electric toothbrush today, as my old one broke down a few weeks ago. Murphy’s Law I guess.. If one thing goes wrong, it all goes wrong.

M

MountainMama

@MountainMama I heard more people who had neuralgia had multiple dentistry work done, even extracted teeth because they thought it was a dental issue. Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. It sucks to have so much pain.

I’m still nauseous. Gonna give my GP a phone call tomorrow. I’m surviving on some fruits right now.

I’d also called my dentist. He doesn’t have time until 11th of June. Exactly one day for my first appointment at the University Hospital. Kinda sucks because I don’t know until then if he is willing to pay me back. I really hope we can get to an agreement as I don’t like to play it the hard way.

I ordered myself a nice new electric toothbrush today, as my old one broke down a few weeks ago. Murphy’s Law I guess.. If one thing goes wrong, it all goes wrong.
I hope your GP can help you...maybe an anti nausea med for now at least.
I put a hot pack on my jaw today for 10 minutes and that took away a lot of the pain for a long time. It is just now starting to come back. I will do another hot pack before bed. Hopefully will help me sleep better. I haven’t slept well for months.

D

DaphneM

@MountainMama That was also my idea to ask him! It’s just one more month to survive.

applying heat also helps my jaw and neck! I understand about the not sleeping well. I also don’t sleep very well right now. We are kind of in the same boat. It sucks. But I think for you it’s worse because of the neuralgia. :(

M

MountainMama

@MountainMama That was also my idea to ask him! It’s just one more month to survive.

applying heat also helps my jaw and neck! I understand about the not sleeping well. I also don’t sleep very well right now. We are kind of in the same boat. It sucks. But I think for you it’s worse because of the neuralgia. :(
We will get through this! I wish you the best of luck at your dr appointment!

D

DaphneM

@MountainMama thank you. Had a phone call with my doc today. Gonna try an anti acid medicine. Maybe it’s reflux. I’m scared to death I’m allergic to some dental stuff. I’m so scared. I was doing fine and now I feel like shit again. Feeling depressed all over again. I’m really counting down the days to 12th of June.

M

MountainMama

@MountainMama thank you. Had a phone call with my doc today. Gonna try an anti acid medicine. Maybe it’s reflux. I’m scared to death I’m allergic to some dental stuff. I’m so scared. I was doing fine and now I feel like shit again. Feeling depressed all over again. I’m really counting down the days to 12th of June.
For what it is worth, dental allergies are very rare. I have a metal allergy to nickel and a few other metals, discovered when I had my ears pierced as a teen. I can’t even wear a metal wristwatch or jewelry as they will irritate my skin after a while. I was super concerned about metal in dental work, but was told it was very, very rare. I had a porcelain over metal crown for five years that never bothered me. My implants haven’t bothered me, nor the metal abutment for my front implant.
I hope the sensation goes away and you can get some peace.

D

DaphneM

Hi @MountainMama! Thank you for your message. Very reassuring! My anxiety about the allergies has calmed down a bit. How are you doing?

I had an absolutely awful day. Started with the physiotherapist who doesn’t want to treat me anymore because to him it doesn’t make any sense because my bite is off. Great.. 3 more weeks of pain. Later on in the day my bridge fell off and my dentist was already closed. I’ve called the office from next weekend, got a different dentist, the owner of the office. Such an arrogant guy. Did not listen at all. Now it’s nighttime and guess what? My bridge is loose again. I’m so done with this. I’m scared to go to another dentist, I’m scared to go to my own dentist. I really have trust issues now. I’m not gonna get it cemented it again. I will go with toothpaste or without. I don’t care anymore.

M

MountainMama

Hi @MountainMama! Thank you for your message. Very reassuring! My anxiety about the allergies has calmed down a bit. How are you doing?

I had an absolutely awful day. Started with the physiotherapist who doesn’t want to treat me anymore because to him it doesn’t make any sense because my bite is off. Great.. 3 more weeks of pain. Later on in the day my bridge fell off and my dentist was already closed. I’ve called the office from next weekend, got a different dentist, the owner of the office. Such an arrogant guy. Did not listen at all. Now it’s nighttime and guess what? My bridge is loose again. I’m so done with this. I’m scared to go to another dentist, I’m scared to go to my own dentist. I really have trust issues now. I’m not gonna get it cemented it again. I will go with toothpaste or without. I don’t care anymore.
@DaphneM I am so sorry! That sounds awful! I can’t believe the physiotherapist will not work with you. And the fact that your bridges keep falling out...that should not be happening! I know how you feel, though, where you feel like you don’t have options that are available. Could you call the office again Monday and ask for the dentist you saw before?

I woke up today having weird feelings in my front tooth implant, pressure when I bite down, which is not normal. It has gotten worse throughout the day, and my neuralgia is still going strong. I have had pain alongside my nose above the implant all day. I am so done with this, too. I am tired of getting something fixed only to have new problems come up. I am worried that on top of everything else, I will end up losing my implant, which is my FRONT tooth. That is depressing.

D

DaphneM

@MountainMama Yeah, stupid isn’t it?! I’m a little mad. He told me I can call if I have pain. But I had pain yesterday and he didn’t help me. But hey, there is another physiotherapist in the neighborhood who does kind of the same thing. Maybe I am going to give him a call if this doesn’t get better over the weekend. Meanwhile I try to massage myself a little.

I’m not sure about dentists at this point. I’m a bit scared to go to my own dentist because we still need to have the money talk. I will go the weekend without and see what I will do next week. I need some time to think.

Yeah, it’s not okay it fells off so easy. The guy I saw yesterday, the arrogant one, is also a teacher at the same university hospital (didn’t know that). He told me the bridge is actually a bit wide on the inside. It might explain why it has never felt really tight. It felt more like it’s was sobbing around my tooth, and why it falls of so easy. I’ve got two bridges so I can compare you know 😉 The left one is okay-ish now, the right one is never ending trouble. My whole mouth hurts by now.

I feel so sorry you have to go through all this pain. Isn’t the pain while biting down because it’s a bit too high? Sounds like the same kind of pain. Maybe your bite changed a little because of your jaw issues? I don’t know, just guessing. I know how depressing all of this is. How do you do this while eating? My whole appetite is ruined because of this. I really don’t like to eat anymore. I look more like a walking skeleton than a human being right now 😂

Do you still get any help?

Last edited:
M

MountainMama

@MountainMama Yeah, stupid isn’t it?! I’m a little mad. He told me I can call if I have pain. But I had pain yesterday and he didn’t help me. But hey, there is another physiotherapist in the neighborhood who does kind of the same thing. Maybe I am going to give him a call if this doesn’t get better over the weekend. Meanwhile I try to massage myself a little.

I’m not sure about dentists at this point. I’m a bit scared to go to my own dentist because we still need to have the money talk. I will go the weekend without and see what I will do next week. I need some time to think.

Yeah, it’s not okay it fells off so easy. The guy I saw yesterday, the arrogant one, is also a teacher at the same university hospital (didn’t know that). He told me the bridge is actually a bit wide on the inside. It might explain why it has never felt really tight. It felt more like it’s was sobbing around my tooth, and why it falls of so easy. I’ve got two bridges so I can compare you know 😉 The left one is okay-ish now, the right one is never ending trouble. My whole mouth hurts by now.

I feel so sorry you have to go through all this pain. Isn’t the pain while biting down because it’s a bit too high? Sounds like the same kind of pain. Maybe your bite changed a little because of your jaw issues? I don’t know, just guessing. I know how depressing all of this is. How do you do this while eating? My whole appetite is ruined because of this. I really don’t like to eat anymore. I look more like a walking skeleton than a human being right now 😂

Do you still get any help?
I hope they can get it sorted with you, because being in uncertainty is absolutely awful.
Mine isn’t a high bite. My front tooth doesn’t even touch my bottom teeth when I bite down. I only feel the pressure when I am biting into something, like a sandwich. The pain alongside my nose is due to the nerve. It feels like a terrible sinus headache but lower.
Last year, when I was having a lot of issues...no molars on the bottom right, cracked molar on the bottom left, front tooth surgery...I lost a lot of weight. My doctor had me on those awful supplement drinks. Once I got my molar implants, I was able to eat again. So now I can chew on my right side, just carefully. So I gained back most of the weight I lost. Food doesn’t have the same appeal to me anymore, though.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Daphne,

I am just catching up on things had a busy work week but so mad and sad to hear this and how the owner treated you.. its especially disheartening and frustrating when you get someone who doens't listen . and then to deal with that on top of your bridge falling out all the time.. I just can't imagine.. aghh. I hope you will not run into him at the university. It sounds the other people were really good. Isn't it crazy how you can be in the same place and get such varying levels of care. ? well.. I really hope this gets better sometime soon.. am thinking of you.

D

DaphneM

@MountainMama hmm.. that sounds strange. Maybe you should let your dentist check it out so that you could have some peace of mind about it? All I know is that I have these weird pressure sensations in my teeth under the bridge which are muscles that are pulling. They come and go. Also, my tongue still hurts, I have pressure in my nose, cheeks... Everywhere. Maybe the same is happening to you?

I’ve never been someone who loves food. I wouldn’t care if I had to never eat again. I am naturally very skinny, so this isn’t great at the moment. A friend bought a blender for me today, so by the end of this 3 weeks I will probably be a master at making smoothies and liquidize all my food. My mom also bought some supplement drinks for me today. I hope they are not too disgusting. Hope I won’t loose to much weight in the meantime.

@krlovesherkids777 Thank you for your kind message! It was. I had a hard time not starting to cry while I was in the chair. He was so arrogant. Not listening at all, only talking about how he knows everything better. He even wanted to cement my bridge with permanent cement and fix it all by himself!! He was also very rushed, not caring and very harsh. He didn’t care my teeth felt sensitive or painful. I’ve never in my whole life met such a horrible dentist. I fully understand now why some people are scared of dentists. I think he knows what he’s doing, and his work might be good, but this is not a good way to treat people.

Luckily he’s only at the University Hospital at Tuesday’s, the rest he works at his one office where I was at my hometown. My appointment will be on a Friday so I think I won’t bump into him :) The only thing he did right, was telling me my bridge is a bit too wide on the inside. It explains why I feel like there is so much movement. So that’s one positive thing I got from him!

Thank you both for your sweet messages. I really get much support out of it 💕

Last edited: