• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

very sad!

A

angela33

Well it is nice to finally find this place,because after reading these posts I feel like I am not alone.Well here is my story...I went to get my tooth pulled last week cuz the filling was coming out and it was so so painful to even do anything.got through that,it was actually a school of dentistry that did it and it went ok.Well my friend was telling me about how this dentist where she lives fixed her teeth for cheap so I said ok I will give it a try(not knowing how the dentist was) I went cuz I am desperate to get these fixed before I lose them.Well he treated me like crap the second he saw me,had me in tears actually.He gave me the cold shoulder the whole time like I was wasting his time.Told me he would pull all my top teeth and put a denture in.But I have 4 top teeth that are perfectly fine! I just need about 3 fixed,I know the one in front beside my front tooth needs a root canal,I pray it is not too late for one(the side of it is chipped up to the gum)But I have heard dentists can do amazing things these days for the right price.I am just really hurt about the way I was treated cuz my feelings get hurt easily anyway.I am sorry to be rambling on but I needed to vent badly.I was gonna let this guy ruin my whole thanksgiving holiday,but I can't let that happen.I am just glad that I found this forum and knowing that there are ppl out there that actually care and can relate to what I am going through.Well on the bright side I have an appmt next wed at the place where I got my tooth pulled to get full xrays and to discuss what can be done,so wish me luck please :(

Angela33 hello and a warm welcome to this site. I am so sorry for the experience you have had with this 'cheap' dentist. Just goes to show that what suits one person might not suit another and as if often the case, you get what you pay for. Obviously this dentist charges for dental treatment only, and doesn't offer a caring, understanding, compassionate nature which should come free of charge anyway. He may be good at what he does but he lacks the basic 'people skills' for want of a better phrase.
Finding the right dentist for you is paramount to how you get through the treatment. With a bit of TLC you can get through absolutely anything - reading some of the journals and success stories proves that. I myself was so lucky in finding a marvellous dentist in whom I had absolute faith and confidence from the minute I met her. That isn't to say my terror disappeared, but I knew I was in the best of hands.
Dentists today can almost perform miracles and no self respecting professional would suggest pulling teeth unless absolutely necessary. Do hope that next Wednesday's appointment goes well and look forward to reading your posting after the event. Be assured, there are loads of us who will be thinking of you and supporting you every step of the way. :grouphug:

:welcome:

Really pleased you found this place cos all of us know exactly how you are feeling and what you are going through. I have been on this site a week today and i have found all the support amazing and non judgemental. We all genuinely care about each other.

I am so sorry about what you have gone through but rest assured you will find the right dentist who can give you the support to get through this and we are all here for you. :grouphug:

:welcome: Angela33,

I can only second what everyone else has already said. One thing that occurred to me while reading your post is that maybe this dentist is not even licensed to practice, if he offers rates that are substantially cheaper than elsewhere. You could check with your State Dental Board. There have been a few such cases where dentists have "set up shop" without being licensed to practice. You could also lodge a complaint with your state dental board about his behaviour and his, ahem, "treatment recommendation" - it might not get followed up, but if enough people complain about this particular dentist, they might just take a closer look. If his "treatment recommendation" is totally at odds with what the dental school say, it would be all the more reason to lodge a complaint. He didn't issue you with a proposed treatment plan by any chance?

It's sad that consumers have to protect themselves in this way, but how else is anything going to change. So sorry about the awful experience you had :(. This is not just "poor bedside manner", but downright criminal especially if it turns out that the dental school provides a very different treatment plan. What a jerk :sick:. Don't let it get to you :thumbsup:!

Oh yes he proposed a plan,one that sent me into tears instantly,he said I should pull all my top teeth I have left,one side I have none but the other side I do ,but the thing is my front teeth all but one are fine,nothing wrong with them,that is why I was like omg this guy is mean for even saying that,well that is just my opinion.I am just gonna level with the dentistry school when I go,cuz the only major thing I need done in front is the tooth beside my front one.I just found it hurtful for someone to tell me that.

I just wanted to let all of you know how thankful I am for all of your support,it means so much,especially after what I had to deal with yesterday.I appreciate all of you! Thank you for your kind words and have a wonderful thanksgiving :)

Back