• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

very sad

F

flip_flop

hi everyone, i'm new and don't even know where to start...
well this is very embarrassing for me to tell you guys but frankly, i haven't been to a dentist for about 6 years and i'm now just very scared to even tell my mom to bring me to the dentist... i don't know how to start a dentist appointment and i can't seem to face that i need braces and such.
Hope that you guys won't get terrified at my post...
any advice would be appreciated.

Hi flip_flop! :welcome:
I guess the first thing is to not worry that you have not been in 6 years, as soon as you go this time then the count will begin again and you can go more regularly, and far better you go now at 6 years than wait more and make it 7 or 8!
Do you think you need just a checkup or are you pretty sure you need braces?

Hi flip_Flop, :welcome:

Please dont be embarrased, we have all been there and totally understand.

Can I ask how old you are as you mentioned not being able to tell your Mum and not even knowing how to get started with making your own appointment.

I'm pretty sure that i need a checkup and braces. and i'm 13 years old...

Hi Flip flop
I think its sad that a 13 year old is worried about visiting the dentist in the 21st Century.....assuming your Mom can afford to get you any treatment you may need (maybe none required)....what is there to worry about?

Modern dentistry should be painless and you should be treated with respect. If your Mom is letting you choose your own dentist, then why don't you ask your friends whether they like theirs. You may prefer a pediatric dentist who just deals with young people. Check out websites of local dentists on the internet and see which you like the sound and look of.

Did anything happen last time you went to make you so scared or is it just 'fear of the unknown'?
Best wishes
Brit

Is there anyone who haven't been to the dentist for years? Just wondering if i'm the only one who's like that...

No your not the only one who hasnt been in years, i didnt go to the dentist in at least 7/8 and many people here havent been in longer

Hello flip-flop, I am also 13 years old and I am also worried to go to the dentist, but I have been going for awhile and everytime I go I always am scared, I always have to go for fillings and I get worried but since I have a pediatric dentist that I have been going to ever since I first went to the dentist years ago he knows how I feel and is very helpful, I always been treated well and bearly feel anything! (I had to go to the dentist 2 days ago for a filling)

But since your case is braces, well I have braces too. I got them last year. Yes, I was worried about that too just becuase my cousins say they were painful, so when I got to my orthodontist they sat me in the chair did a bunch of PAINLESS things and glued the brackets and were fitting the wires. The worst part was the waiting. I had to wait 1-2 hours for them to finish putting them on. But, your mouth will most likely be sore at home for a day or two, but it will pass. I hope I was a help. ;)

flip_flop said:
Is there anyone who haven't been to the dentist for years?  Just wondering if i'm the only one who's like that...
hi
i hadnt been for 10yrs plus so no your not alone

eHi flip Flop I didn't go to the dentist for about 7/8 years because of fear after a bad chilhood experience. Thankfully I managed to find a great dentist Miss Potter she was really caring with me and the best news was that I didn't need any fillings. i wouln't worry about wearing braces many young people wear braces nowdays.

Geraint said:
 i wouln't worry about wearing braces many young people wear braces nowdays.

Not just young people either, many older people are considering braces nowadays, I have even thought about it to close the gap I have in my front teeth and I am 31!

I wont do it though as I have lived with it for this many years and have decided its part of me, having perfect, straight teeth just wouldnt suit me!!

Hi all, thanks for your tips and hope that i will soon be brave enough to go to the dentist :rolleyes:

Back