• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Very sore gum

C

celtic_girl

Hi

I had my check-up yesterday and luckily did not need any fillings or anything. However, when the dentist was poking my gums he said to the nurse they were all 2s apart from one bit which was a 3. When he poked that bit it was sore, but this morning when I was eating my breakfast it was very sore when chewing and then all day it has just got worse.

Is this just because he poked it & it was a 3?

I am also worried I scored a 3 because NHS dentists won't clean or scale teeth anymore. I have some plaque on my front bottom teeth that I wanted him to get off for me but he said it's a very small amount and I can just leave it.

Is that right? Also, shouldn't they be treating my gums since I scored a 3 in one area? He just said I needed nothing done.

The thing is, aren't we supposed to see hygienists every 6 months or so? My dentist does not have one. They won't even do it if I pay privately and the dentists in my area who DO have a hygienist will not book me in because I am not a registered patient. I rang several of them this afternoon. It is ridiculous and I don't know how I am supposed to get a full clean done.

Can I resolve that gum with a 3 score by myself? It's at the bottom right at the back and I can't see it in the mirror.

I know Asda are selling a dental mirror and one of those scaling tools for £1 but I am too scared to try and do that on my own. I don't want dental problems ever again so I want my gums to be right.

Thanks,
Mo.

The joys of the NHS system in England :(

It seems to be designed to make regular care as difficult to obtain as possible and to make it especially difficult for phobic patients to get the care they need.

I don't normally like to say this, but you could maybe do with shopping around for a different practice?

A hygienist can only work to the prescription of a dentist, so you can't just turn up at a different practice and get to see their hygienist.

Hi

I was thinking that today and if I could afford it I would just join a fully private practice and get what I want.
I was with a practice in Bolton before but I could never get appointments even in the middle of day there was a waiting time of 6 weeks. I don't want that again.
I then moved house and signed up with one in Chorley and their appointment waiting times are good but this one and my last one did not have a hygienist. My old dentist did the scaling themselves until about 2-3 years ago so I haven't had it done since.

Do I need treatment if I scored a 3 on one area of gum? I am worried they are ignoring a potential problem.

I have just eaten brussel sprouts and it was hurting to chew them where the sore gum is & they aren't even that hard! :(

An isolated 3 score amongst 0s and 1s would be interesting, I'd want some x-rays to see if there was some particular reason for it. Maybe an overhanging filling or something like that.

The other areas were all 2s. I don't think I had any 1s or zeros.

I have just got up this morning and that gum is much worse. I can hardly talk now and I even feel the pain when I swallow and I can't put my teeth together without feeling the pain. I can't chew either.

I am thinking of going to the out of hours place and then I am on the verge of signing up with a private dentist who does hygienist work if I am willing to pay for it.

:(

I am sorry to butt in here but I have one tooth, so I am told is bordering a 3 and it has recently had an infection my symptoms were much like yours. My other areas are 0 so I was told. I would ring the emergency number and ask to see them you sound like you have an infection and need antibiotics.

Also in the check up charge £17.00 a scale and polish is included but good luck trying to get a nhs dentist to do it, ask for a copy of your records, I did and in there will be written that they have done this. They look at us with distain when we get sore gums and blame us but one dentist told me years ago that even if it is just in one place like yours is, and mine gets it there too, everybody needs a dentist clean every 6 months at least.

I would look for another dentist, yours is feeding you rubbish information. He should have done your clean, you paid for it. :butterfly:

I have recently had to change dentist after my super very good nhs dentist left and they have a clown in there now telling me all sorts of rubbish.

Hi

I have just rang up and have an appointment for 6.30pm tonight. The pain has spread since yesterday. It was firstly just surrounding the back tooth. Now it is sore all along the two teeth in front and also quite low down into my gum too.

Perhaps after I got poked with that tool it left a cut and bacteria got in.

I am going to my own surgery tonight as they do the emergencies but it will be a different dentist. I asked the girl on the phone about arranging for a private clean next week and she said they SHOULD do it for me for about £40. I will then ask for it every 6 months even if I have to pay for it myself.

Is part of a check-up supposed to include a clean? I haven't had one for at least 2-3 years. My previous dentist stopped them. I had the same one for years and he retired and I never got cleans anymore. Then I moved house and moved to this practice. Nobody else in my area is taking NHS patients.

I am thinking if I can get rid of the remaining plaque then I am starting with a clean slate then and I want my gums to score no higher than a 1.

Hi

I just went to the emergency clinic. I saw a very nice dentist and she was quite thorough.
My gum is inflamed and I have an infection. She put some gel on it and gave me antibiotics and a gel over the counter. She x-rayed that row of teeth but the teeth are fine.

She said I have a gap between gum and bone (I am not 100% sure what this all means) and she thinks I may have been overflossing. This is why that gum scored a 3. She said in her practice people with a 3 would get a proper clean every 3 months unless they have good oral hygiene & can do it by themselves.

I thought I had good oral hygiene but it seems I am doing some things wrong. Obviously I am flossing too much. The teeth around the infection are lower left 5 and 6. Lower left 5 has been root treated before. Lower left 6 only has a small filling on the edge of it. This means the fillings between 5 and 6 are almost touching and my floss keeps getting stuck down there. Perhaps that is part of the problem.

She recommended I get some tiny toothbrushes which I didn't even know existed. I can use them instead of floss where the gaps are big enough. I bought some at the dentist tonight. She also said I shouldn't rinse with water or mouthwash after brushing. I should just spit out the excess toothpaste. That is something I didn't know either.

Based on the above advice she has given me, I am wondering if it would still be beneficial to pay for a private clean by my own dentist. I want my scores to be 1s next time I go for my check-up. How long does it take to see an improvement in gum scores?

From my own experience it can happen over weeks, the clean should be done as part of your check up, but is very rarely done on the nhs, they put in our records that they have done it though. Something really needs to be done about the nhs dental system in a lot of cases it isn't working. There are some really nice caring ones out there I just had one but he moved and I got a young up start that wants to make his mark, but while he is doing this I am paying for his ego.

I wish you all the luck, if possible I would ask to see the lady you saw for the emergency she sounds like a good one.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: :butterfly:

Hi

I don't know which practice she was from (or her name), I couldn't read it on the prescription but they have a rota basis of covering out of hours so she could be from anywhere in Central Lancashire. I liked her, she was very caring and she explained everything to me and she x-rayed the teeth on that row just as a precaution which was good.

It is a right roller coaster we get a really nice caring dentist, that will give us information we need to know, and then we get an idiot of one that just can't be bothered. I am glad you got the treatment and antibiotic.

I think if you keep your eyes open for the future and if you can find another dentist do so.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: :butterfly:

Back