• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Visible cavity between molars, see dentist now or wait 2 months for cleaning?

S

SlipStreams7

Visible cavity between molars, see dentist now or wait 2 months for cleaning?

I see a smallish dark spot between 2 molars that turns much darker when a light is shined on or behind it. I am almost certain it is a cavity, however I do not feel any pain. If I swished ice cold water between the teeth I'd probably feel pain, but no pain from normal eating. The only other thing it could be is heavily stained from high strength fluoride rinse, but I doubt it. My dental cleaning is in about 2 months....do you think it's ok to wait until the cleaning to bring this up, or should I call my dentist and schedule an appointment to inspect/fill it beforehand? They took x rays last time, and mentioned a few spots were close but not ready to be filled.

I'm not sure if there are any extra costs (insurance-wise) to breaking the 6 month cleaning cycle for an additional appointment.

In the meantime, I've been paying extra attention to flossing that area well and applying MI-Paste to it.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Visible cavity between molars, see dentist now or wait 2 months for cleaning?

If they took x-rays at your last visit and didn't seen anything urgent it is very unlikely that it has gotten much larger. Cavities generally progress very slowly, especially if you maintaining a good diet, good home care, and are using a fluoride mouthrinse and MI paste. Keep doing what you're doing and it sounds like you should be just fine waiting.

Back