• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Vision problems and shooting pain.

B

bigblue

I recently had a painful experience while having a cavity filled. I've had Novocain injections a few times in my life with no issues. On this last trip I had a shooting pain up the side of my face into my eye while he was giving me the shot. Then immediately afterwards I could not see properly. My eyes would not focus on the same thing. I felt as though I was severely crossed eyed. I could see fine out of either eye if I closed the other but together they would not focus on the same object. The Dentist told me everything would be fine in a few minutes and to close my eyes. It took about 30 minutes for my vision to re-align. Is this normal? This was the first cavity I've had filled by this dentist and I have another to be filled this week. Should I cancel and go to a different Dentist?

Hi
I'm giving mine the benefit of the doubt because I really like her personality. But my injection was painless even if the filling wasn't totally, and I am actually doing this against my better judgement. I got a cup of coffee and a follow-up phone call at home as compensation - how about you? Who says PR doesn't work?
Seriously I'm fairly sure it was a one-off and it would otherwise have been a positive experience as she is really gentle, soothing and manages to make me laugh even during the drilling bit - so that's going some - as my old phobia is about pain during drilling. There's no third chance though.
Good luck.

Back