• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

visiting my dentist on tuesday...for an abcess on my gum!

starryblu

starryblu

i just needed to come and do some whining.

and thinking maybe i could ask what you would do to make yourself feel better.

i go to my dentist on tuesday. been having pain for a while, on the gum below a tooth i had a root canal on. i've seen him about it once, he said it might have to be pulled. it's so upsetting!!

i do mostly good with my appointments, but since i'm not expecting good news, i'm really dreading this one! bad enough to think of having it extracted...then here come my phobias of having impressions made. i've lost count of how many i have had, and they still terrify me every time!:o i'm sure he will want to do one. i imagine i will need a bridge where this tooth is. it's the only part of my mouth where i have teeth left to chew with. can't afford the expense, can't tolerate the thought of extraction/impressions.

it's totally ruining my weekend. and i'm in pain.:censored:

pfffffttttt.........:(

thanks for listening....

well, i survived. yay me.

starryblu, that's awesome! i'm so proud of you!

good job

thanks starryblu

i was sooo nervous all day long, waiting for the appointment. but it got better.

my dentist said i need my tooth extracted. i go tomorrow at noon.

i keep expecting this to get easier, the more i go. so far, that hasn't happened. it's unbearable, how anxious i am

starryblu...

just hang in there. it will be over with soon. it should be a quick and easy visit. don't think about it so much

starryblu

thanks so much for your help. i will try to stay positive. and i will let you know how it goes

please do! and stay strong!! it's going to be over with before you know it :o)

Hi starryblu to stop you talking to yourself I have come in here to say HELLO!!! and that you will be fine.

If you haven't been yet, try not to stress too much. It will be over before you know it. Once you are numb, it won't take very long for the tooth to be gone, along with all the pain and worry.

I wish you all the luck in the world for your appointment. I would be interested to know how you go on, sorry nobody has answered you before this. Hopefully I have caught you before you go.

Good luck :grouphug:

Carole, you are simply wonderful :)

i'm leaving in just a few minutes, so i came here to check in. i'm glad i did, it was great to hear from you! you've told me exactly what i've been telling myself, but having trouble believing. i know it will be fast...it's believing in myself i'm having issues with.

thank you for caring, i will be back soon...

((((hugs))))

Hope everything went well for you, Starry. :XXLhug:

thank you so much Jaime, you are very kind.:) it went much better than i expected...and turned out to be more complicated than anticipated. so i'm very happy with myself!

Hi starryblu to stop you talking to yourself I have come in here to say HELLO!!! and that you will be fine.

If you haven't been yet, try not to stress too much. It will be over before you know it. Once you are numb, it won't take very long for the tooth to be gone, along with all the pain and worry.

I wish you all the luck in the world for your appointment. I would be interested to know how you go on, sorry nobody has answered you before this. Hopefully I have caught you before you go.

Good luck :grouphug:

hello again Carole,

i wanted to thank you again for your post. you actually did help me very much!! i was feeling a bit frantic when i came into the forum to check posts. you helped me to get myself in the right frame of mind for my appointment. really, i knew in my heart that i could be ok. i guess i just needed the confirmation from someone else. your input was perfect!

i was actually very impressed with myself on how calm i was able to remain. almost no anxiety, far FAR less than i was expecting. i have a friend that always goes with me, and i usually have her come back with me during the procedures. it has been on my mind a while that i wanted to be able to go it alone...and i did this time! my friend was there, but sat in the waiting room. lol...the assistants even complimented me on how well i did. when my favorite heard i had been without my support person, she got out the kids' toys and gave me a pretty toy bracelet lol.

i really am so happy with how it went today. i had to shed a few tears when it was over. it actually turned out to be a pretty difficult extraction, and that was terribly upsetting. but i survived it, without giving in to panic. HUGE accomplishment for me!!

thanks for caring...it was nice to know someone cared! :jump:

only one problem now...i'm missing my glass of wine i have about this time every day. i don't like the "no alcohol" warning.

*sigh*

(lol...)

I am glad I managed to catch you before you went in, especially since it helped you. I am sorry it was more difficult than expected but you dealt with it, and it is all gone, forever now.

I wish you a speedy recovery and follow the aftercare, yes shame about the alcohol, but it's only for a few days, that seems to be a common complaint on here after extractions, the lack of booze.

Never mind as long as you are out of pain and stay that way, all's good.

WELL DONE :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: You have done really well, and all by yourself as well, you earned that bracelet, keep it and frame it or wear it with pride. :jump::jump::jump:

Just thought I'd add :sleepyjuice: :sleepyjuice: :sleepyjuice: for when you are allowed.

Last edited:
when my favorite heard i had been without my support person, she got out the kids' toys and gave me a pretty toy bracelet lol.

Oh, that's so sweet! :)

Well done, you!!! :yay:

And the "no alcohol" rule doesn't apply to virtual alcohol, so here ya go. ;)

:sleepyjuice::sleepyjuice::sleepyjuice::sleepyjuice:

(Pay no attention to what people say about girls who have drinks lined up at the bar. :ROFLMAO:)

What do they say?

Glad it went well for you (emotionally, even if more complicated!). For me, the anticipation is frequently far worse than the actual event. I am working up the nerve to call on Monday to make my first dental appointment in 14 years. I'm freaking out about it, admittedly. Love that feeling of having it behind you. So looking forward to that feeling, myself. Congratulations on not succumbing to the panic!!

I am glad I managed to catch you before you went in, especially since it helped you. I am sorry it was more difficult than expected but you dealt with it, and it is all gone, forever now.

I wish you a speedy recovery and follow the aftercare, yes shame about the alcohol, but it's only for a few days, that seems to be a common complaint on here after extractions, the lack of booze.

Never mind as long as you are out of pain and stay that way, all's good.

WELL DONE :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: You have done really well, and all by yourself as well, you earned that bracelet, keep it and frame it or wear it with pride. :jump::jump::jump:

Just thought I'd add :sleepyjuice: :sleepyjuice: :sleepyjuice: for when you are allowed.

Hello again Carole,

thank you so much for your kind words! i usually do bounce back fairly quickly, although this time it's a bit more painful than usual. and i'm crossing my fingers for NO dry socket! i've had that happen to me a couple of times.

lol...thanks for the drinks! i'm looking forward to all the goodies i'm missing now. it's funny though, i don't really mind that much. i'm just soooo happy to have that appointment behind me!! yes indeed, i will treasure that silly plastic bracelet. it's a symbol of a huge accomplishment for me!

my best to you, and thank you for your kindness :):):)

Oh, that's so sweet! :)

Well done, you!!! :yay:

And the "no alcohol" rule doesn't apply to virtual alcohol, so here ya go. ;)

:sleepyjuice::sleepyjuice::sleepyjuice::sleepyjuice:

(Pay no attention to what people say about girls who have drinks lined up at the bar. :ROFLMAO:)

Jayla, thanks so much!! you are so nice :) and yummm for the drinks! they look so good, i could almost lick the screen on my laptop lol!!

Glad it went well for you (emotionally, even if more complicated!). For me, the anticipation is frequently far worse than the actual event. I am working up the nerve to call on Monday to make my first dental appointment in 14 years. I'm freaking out about it, admittedly. Love that feeling of having it behind you. So looking forward to that feeling, myself. Congratulations on not succumbing to the panic!!

Minerva, i know exactly what you mean about the anticipation being the worst part! i do the very same thing. i was actually very calm by the time i got in the chair.

good for you!! and i wish you the best in your plans to call for an appointment. that is such a huge step in the right direction!! it's ok to freak out, it's hard facing something you have avoided for so long. i will be thinking of you, and hoping all goes well. and you be sure to give yourself a big pat on the back once you've got the job done!!
((((((big hugs))))))

Back