• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Visiting the dentist after 6 years

K

KingCompton

Hi,

I have always had a fear of the dentist. When I was younger I had a bit of tooth stuck in my gum which had to be removed. Also, when I was younger and had to have a baby tooth out, there was a wasp flying around the room whilst the dentist wanted my mouth wide open to do the extraction. This surely couldn't have been safe/allowed.

I never used to look after my teeth much, but now I take it very serious. Since my last hygienist appointment, I haven't missed a brushing session and flossing session. I completely regret not looking after my teeth when I was younger. I currently have 5 fillings, and when I went to the dentist 6 years ago, they said I needed 3 more. I didn't go back, due to fear.

So I have an appointment booked and I am SCARED. I am worried that the dentist is going to be in disbelieve over my teeth, and just be in total shock. But the thing is, If you look at my teeth from smiling they don't look that bad, but it's more the back teeth that have fillings and probably a few cavities. I'm really hoping I don't need a root canal but there is potential.

I have pain top left back when I eat sometimes, and it causes my gum to hurt for a while afterwards. I have had a fizzy drink and chocolate everyday for a while now, but I also drink water to cleanse my teeth often and drink water throughout the day. It's one of those things where if your teeth seem fine then you don't worry but with this pain it's worth visiting the dentist.

So I guess my question is has anyone been in a similar situation and am I overreacting about my fear of judgement from the dentist? I feel ashamed about how many fillings I have but I have always had a fear of the dentist. The whole environment scared me.

I just needed to vent I guess, thanks for reading.

There's a lot of really useful information on this site if you have a wee look round and a read. Maybe start by having a look at this?

There's a lot of really useful information on this site if you have a wee look round and a read. Maybe start by having a look at this?

Thank you for this page, it has a lot of helpful information. I clicked on the link of other peoples teeth and it does not make me feel so bad now, my teeth are no where near that state (Also, I am not judging them either, I don't know their situation). I am only 26 though, so I am still quite young, but now I am just looking at ways to self doubt myself and my teeth. Thanks for the reply Gordon!

Back