• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wanting a Rootcanal- Is that so bad???

C

connab

I have had a tooth bothering me for about 1 yr. I went in last Nov. because #4 would just bother me when I leaned over or bent down, it was just a dull achy feeling, like a 2 on a scale from 1-10 then on xmass eve I got a few really sharp pains in it. I went to the dentist a few days later and my tooth was cracked and so I got a crown on it. The tooth felt alot better but even while I had the temp on it bothered me off and on(not hurting just a burning or achy feeling). I got him to take an xray before he put the perm crown on so if I needed a rct then I could get one before the perm crown. The xray was fine. Since december of 08, I have been to the dentist about 5 times with that same tooth just bothering me not bad but enough to mental make me very unhappy. I feel the achyness and just worrry and worry, if this is gonna be the time where it really is gonna hurt. Anyway, I just had a cleaning last week and my xrays were due and he checked my teeth and still there was nothing on the xray. I would feel so much better if something would have showed up so I could get it taken care of and it would be over. About 7 yrs ago I had a tooth on the other side bother me and finally after 3yrs he did a rct and said that the root had been dying and it just didnt show on the xray. I have not had any problems from that tooth again and its wonderful. My question is, Is it stupid to go in and request he does a rct on me? I am obsessing over that tooth and I am just tired of worrying about it. My husband seems to think I should wait till it really hurts and not just bothering me, but I just want it over. My tooth is already crowned so I am not destroying a healthy tooth. I am just tired of worrying. I have dont have bad teeth, but I have a overactive mind and I would rather just get them all pulled and so I would not have to worry about my teeth anymore. Thanks so much for any advice.

If it's a crack, then RCT won't necessarily solve it. See the cracked teeth threads already on here. Sorry!

Back