• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Water spray

G

Former Member
I'm in the unusual position of preferring old procedures to new ones. I'm in my mid-40's, and had no trouble with the old method of filling cavities (injection of novacaine, drilling, etc.). But about 10 years ago I visited a dentist who used a newer method which involved spraying a stream of water into my mouth. I could not tolerate the water - gagged constantly - and had to stop the procedure. I'm still walking around with partially filled cavities. Have any procedures been devised since then which don't involve using the water stream?

I'm confused (no change there then). When the dentist was drilling your teeth more than 10 years ago, didn't he use water spray to cool down the air turbine?

This has been standard of care since before I graduated 25 years ago... drilling "dry" fries the nerve inside the tooth, causing pretty unpleasant long term problems. The usual solution to the water building up is a well trained assistant to vacuum it out before it becomes a problem.

Anyway, back to your question. I can think of a few ways around this...
1) Rubber dam
2) Air abrasion, sort of a mini-sandblaster, but this isn't good for removing old fillings, which is the main thing we do.
3) Laser. But newer ones use water spray to avoid cooking the nerve... and still not ideal for removing old fillings.

I quite agree with Gordon. If you have a problem with the water spray (and a good assistant should get that out for you), the rubber dam is exactly the way to go.

Unfortunately, I don't know about elsewhere, but in the US only a very small percentage of dentists use rubber dam regularily.

Ask your dentist if he/she would please use a rubber dam. If he/she refuses, find a dentist who does "rubber dam dentistry". I think you'll be pleasantly surprised and pleased at how much easier it can be for you.

Glenn

Thanks to Gordon and Glenn for your suggestions. It sounds like the rubber dam might be helpful (hopefully it won't trigger the gag reflex, or at least not as much as the water does)! Again, thanks for your help -

JA

Back