• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wearing a flipper over an implant...trying to adjust

M

MountainMama

For those of you that have worn, or do wear, a flipper, do you have any tips? I am having a really hard time adjusting.

The flipper is well made, I think (no previous experience obviously), as it isn't too uncomfortable. It seems to fit differently at different parts of the day. It doesn't push against my gums and hurt though.

I had a pretty large bone graft done, and an implant put in, so the surgeon adjusted the flipper to minimize contact with my gums. I was back in there yesterday for a different issue (3 days post surgery), and the surgeon went ahead and readjusted the flipper since I had a lot of swelling, as it was touching my gums.

I am super paranoid that it is going to push on the graft and implant, even though the surgeon adjusted it, because I can't seem to stop pushing on it with my tongue...not hard, just because it is there and it bugs me. I am not pushing down on the implant site.

It is driving me crazy! I can't handle leaving it out during the day, because the space drives me crazy. I could hardly sleep the first night I took it out overnight. I think the space bothers me more on an emotional level than physical.

Any adjustment tips?

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with it! I recently started wearing a flipper too (around July-ish), but I usually only wear it when I have to go out and see people. I have noticed, however, that the longer I have had it, the more used to it I get.

Is a retainer with a fake tooth in it a possibility for you? My dentist mentioned that sometimes people prefer those to the flipper.

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with it! I recently started wearing a flipper too (around July-ish), but I usually only wear it when I have to go out and see people. I have noticed, however, that the longer I have had it, the more used to it I get.

Is a retainer with a fake tooth in it a possibility for you? My dentist mentioned that sometimes people prefer those to the flipper.

The plastic part that goes over my palate doesn't actually bother me too much. It is the fact that I can't seem to tell if it is in right. I don't know if that makes sense. I feel like it moves a lot, even though it is tight against my teeth. I guess because the oral surgeon adjusted it to that it wouldn't press on the gums. So the tooth part feels loose and moves when I talk or touch it with my tongue. It kind of freaks me out, like a loose tooth. I don't think it is noticeable. I also can't tell if it is pressing on the gums, because when it slides up, it seems to pinch, but then slides down again. So maybe it is momentarily? I don't know if I can even explain that to the dentist since they can't see what I feel.

Also I am afraid to not wear it, even at home, because my teeth are crowded (my front tooth was pushed forward a little), and I am afraid the other teeth will shift in. In the morning, when I put it in, it feels really tight between the teeth, like it moved a little at night.

Last edited:
I finally gave in and called the dentist. I could not put my teeth together without the flipper in the way. He adjusted it so that I can noe put my teeth together. The appointment was tough, though. He pulled up my lip to look at the site, which yanked on several stitches, plus my lip and the gum area under it are still swollen. It did not feel good! He said it looked like it was healing well, though.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get it adjusted! That does not sound like a fun appointment, though :(

Back