• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wearing a mouthguard with maryland bridge

R

Rude

Hi Guys, I am on implant number 2 currently. I got tooth number 10 extracted then socket grafted to be prepared in 3 months for implant. I could not mentally do another flipper so my dentist made me a Maryland bridge for the time being. Only issue is, I teach bjj and since I have a implant already, I must wear a mouthguard.

My dentist said even though my bridge is temporary, he placed it like it was my final restoration, so I should be fine. I am treating this as a non functioning tooth/bridge so im not biting down with it, everything cut up and placed in the side of my mouth.

Do you guys as a forum, feel like its a mistake to be using a mouthguard while I have this bridge? I must train bjj since I get paid for it, so its pretty important. This is the mouthguard I use (if fitted properly you need to snap it off with your fingers)

And this is how I was told by the makers of this guard to mold it, so it wont hook on to any of the wings

Any thoughts or suggestions?

It should be perfectly fine, Maryland bridges are pretty hardy things, I had a patient once who had Cerebral Palsy and was fairly unsteady walking, he fell over and KO'd his upper left central incisor, which was holding on a Maryland bridge to replace his lateral incisor which he'd KO'd a few years prior to this... the Maryland was still firmly on the knocked out central...

Update time: The maryland bridge fell out with a small touch while doing bjj. My dentist was out of town so I had to go to a different dentist, he said it probably didn't bond well since I had my tooth extracted, blood etc. Plus since the tooth next to it is a implant so the bridge is attached to 3 teeth (normal tooth, maryland tooth, implant tooth, regular tooth) its easier for it to debond

I told him my concerns and how embarrassed I felt, so he said he would bond it to the best of his abilities so it doesn't fall out again.

He used Relyx unicem self adhesive resin cement, what do you guys think about this particular cement? My original dentist used high impact composite resin I believe and he admitted to not placing the bridge to secure to make it easy to take off during implant placement :mad:

Opinions on new cement? Im now beyond paranoid about this thing coming off again.

I love RelyX, but to be honest the make of cement is pretty irrelevant, they'll all do the job if the bridge is designed correctly and fitted properly.

Back