• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wearing partial denture after implant surgery

J

Jenih322

Hello :)

So it's been 5 days since I had 2 out of my 4 required implants placed in my upper arch. I have to say I have little to no pain, swelling or discomfort has been minimal and it's actually been a heck of a lot easier than I had anticipated. Getting my teeth out in the first place was worse!

The question I have is about my partial denture - I was hoping I would be able to put it back in by now, even just for social wear but the upper left surgical area is still quite tender when I try to put it in. I don't want to cause any damage to the area which could delay healing.

Any advice on what I could do or do I just have to ride it out and try again in a few days? I'm missing my top 4 teeth so going out without it is not really an option for me and I'm getting cabin fever so would love to be able to get outside for a walk at least :redface:

The biggest thing with a partial over top of implants is that you don't want the partial to be putting any type of pressure on the implants. If the implants are fully under the gum tissue, you're probably just fine. If any part of the implant is visible, such as with a healing cap, etc you'll want to be really sure that the partial isn't touching it in any way. If in doubt, have your surgeon take two minute look to make sure it is ok before wearing it.

They're fully under gum tissue - this was just the initial placement of the implants.

Thanks drm, I'll pop in to see her tomorrow if still no better in the morning :)

Back