• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Weird lump thing on floor of mouth

A

AbscessAnxiety

zWRQyIO.png

Screenshot_20230211-022228_Gallery.jpg

Not the best picture I confess, but this is under my tongue on the floor of my mouth. It's not super sore but it does feel irritated at times. When I woke up today it was bigger than before, but after a while I think it burst? I tasted blood anyway, then the size of it shrunk considerably.

Any idea what this could be? Just a cut? Inflammation from eating something sharp?

I've had it for about 4-5 days now. It did come on after eating crusty bread haha

Cheers

Last edited:
@AbscessAnxiety I can't say for sure that it's the same, but I had something like that about ten years ago. It was about the size of a small pea and under my tongue. It went away in probably a week or so. Hard to remember exactly how long now. I did ask my doctor about it at the time and he said it was something like a swollen node or gland or some such thing.

A minor saliva gland has got blocked. It'll burst open in a day or two. Don't worry about it.

@Gordon How long should I leave it before having it seen? It's been a week so far, it is smaller and burst once but after bursting it did immediately come back

@Anne2021 Yeah it's kinda pea-sized and hardish. I'm glad yours went away, hoping mine will go soon too!

Also the size varies constantly throughout the day, like tonight it was noticeable under my tongue for an hour or two, then it went back down to being ignorable

They fill up when you're making more saliva, e.g. when eating. Give it another week and then you can have it looked at for peace of mind at least.

Yeah that makes sense, it's mostly gone away now but one of the little 'ridges' under my tongue has remained kinda larger than the other, it almost feels like loose skin under there. Is this typical? No pain though

It's fine, just give it a bit longer.

Hello, I noticed this bump under my tongue, can anyone tell me about this thing, I am worried about it and it does hurt at all.

Wharton's Duct. It's where the saliva comes out from one of your major salivary glands.

Back