• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Well done it at last

S

Scarycat

Well after being on this thread for nearly 12 months I have finally made an appointment for 5th August , so scared now trying not to think about what will happen when I get there . I have chosen a private practice as they do seem to deal better with patients with a phobia but unfortunately it is expensive . I have been going to cbt therapy this year I will need all the help I can get from her now but she is on holiday till after my appointment so I will have to do a bit of self help . My teeth are in a bad way because I havnt been to a dentist for 30 years so who knows what can be done for me .

Well done.

With cbt your chances are excellent.

Use your exposure hierarchies.

Very well done on scheduling and also for seeking help from a therapist. I am sure you got a lot of tools that you can use yourself before and during the visit. Also don't forget that your dental team is there to support you as well. I suppose you told them about your anxiety? You mentioned trying not to think about what will happen when you get there.. well, not sure what your inner voices keep telling you, but when you get there, you will get some forms to fill in and then hopefully a chat with some friendly person who wants to help..
Anyway, give yourself a pat on the back, it sounds like you are making progress and doing great so far.

Good job.. You will be so happy when it's over.

Good luck.

Well just over 48 hours before I go for my first appointment ,flipping between so scared could be sick and trying to think positive that it will be worth it as my teeth have made me feel so down and depressed and fed up with feeling like this . Got a feeling I have left it too late and will have to have them all out ( I regret so much not looking after them and wish I could tell a young me to go to the dentist and look after them , but hey ho that's the phobia )

Thinking good thoughts for you!! Try your best to put those ‘worst case scenario’ thoughts aside. I know it’s way easier said than done, but CBT is really good st helping with this, lots of people come on here assuming the worst only to find out that they need very little work done. Keep posting until your appt - we are here to support you!!

I keep trying to feel positive as in don't want to look like this anymore and be able to eat more things than I can at the moment but the fear keeps coming to the surface I'm even on a countdown in hours got to stop that . I just want to keep busy so it distracts me.

Those hours before are so intense sometimes. Great you are keeping positive.. thoughts will come flooding and your body will react to that. Hope it goes great and they are good to you!! Let us know how it goes! Thinking of you!!:grouphug:

Congrats on taking the next step in your journey. Sending you good vibes. :thumbsup!:

Hang in there, you will do great. Anxiety before an appointment sucks and things are never as bad as people assume they would be. Sending you well wishes, keep us posted.

I am waking up early so watching a lot of tv just trying not to think about it now as go into panic mode , at the moment using my cbt therapy and thinking it will be for the best for the future as my teeth are embarrassing me and I have my sons wedding next August and do want to look my best for that .

Hang in there!!!

If you are using your cbt tools your chances for success are excellent.

I am worried about what my family will think about the state of my teeth ( loose ones and gum disease they only think I have a problem with my front tooth and will not need a lot of work ) I have said to them I think they will all have to come out so this just adds to the anxiety I am putting myself under well I have to think what my cbt therapy says one thing at a time and cross that bridge when I know

Hello and well done on getting your appointment set up (usually the hardest part). I am sure all will go well for you; just remember you have got hundreds of fellow supporters on here who are thinking of you and will be right there with you in spirit tomorrow.

Take care, and look forward to hearing how things went.

Love Simon (Surreyvwphobic)

Will be thinking of you. Things may turn out better than you are expecting. I'm sure your family will be supportive. You are doing this for your health and addressing the issues. It's up to you how much you share about this and if someone is not supportive, the heck with them. :devilish:

Best of luck to you! This is a huge accomplishment so congratulations on taking the biggest step!

Will be thinking of you. Things may turn out better than you are expecting. I'm sure your family will be supportive. You are doing this for your health and addressing the issues. It's up to you how much you share about this and if someone is not supportive, the heck with them. :devilish:
Thank you for your reply and it has made me feel I only have to share information that I want to share .

I survived the appointment and have defiantly chosen the right dentist he was lovely and is going to take things slowly . I sat in the chair and he was chatting to me first , he had a look round with the mirror and shouted the numbers out which was ok , he then suggested did I want the X-ray today which I was ok with . Unfortunately got a lot of bone loss hence the loose teeth , all out at the top and he is hoping to save 4 front bottom but not sure , I have got to go end of next week to see him again and the other dentist who does the dentures so will see what happens then . I wish I had found him 20 years ago has perhaps wouldn't have these problems but as Owen (dentist) said don't think of the past only the future

Scarycat

This is great news and sounds like you have found a great dentist in Owen :). Sounds like he has a very likeable and good chairside manner to make someone feel comfortable. Good job on you being able to get through this well too as you did with thee exam and xrays!! :perfect:

Back