• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Well done it at last

Yay!! I’m so glad the appt went well and that you seem to have found a lovely dentist. Please be sure to do something kind for yourself for getting through the first appt!

Congrats on your courage and getting it done! You will have a beautiful smile for the wedding!

Yay!!!! That’s awesome to hear that the first appointment went so well! I definitely had my fingers crossed for you today! Well done for facing your fear! It only gets better from here!

It's my second appointment tomorrow to discuss plan of action , still feel scared and wish it would all go away , got to feel positive and think of long term as cannot carry on with my teeth like this , I so wish I had looked after them better and also visited the dentist regular

I hope tomorrow goes well for you, your dentist sounds like his has a great chairside manner :):hug4:

Hope things went well. Try not to dwell on the past or the "what ifs". You are addressing things now and working toward a solution.

Sending positive vibes! I hope everything went well! Please update us when you can!

Thinking of you :grouphug:

Hi well my appointment lasted over an hour and was just talking , my husband came in with me as we were discussing treatment and finance I will have to have all my teeth out under sedation and temporary ones in they then discussed having denture implants top and bottom . It is expendive and to be honest it worries me how much it will cost and all the treatment involved , it will take up to 12 months . I felt quite depressed Friday night but I am trying to be positive about it all as I know I can't turn the clock back . I will be seeing my cbt therapist tomorrow so I am hoping for some positive vibes .

Congrats on taking the first step. You are very brave and it can be overwhelming to face all of that at once so be kind to yourself. I am in the US but correct me if I’m wrong, doesn’t the NHS provide dental care at a lower cost or have you opted out of NHS? I do not know anything about how the process works in the UK. It is great that you will be seeing your cbt therapist as they will hopefully be able to give you a better perspective.

Well done. I hope the CBT has proven helpful.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Well next week will be the first extractions which are the loose ones then an impression and removal of extensive plaque . The dentist isn't sure if the plaque is holding teeth in at the front but has said about a splinter if loose ( not a clue what that is ) . I know it's all my own doing and don't I regret not looking after then but that's the phobia , then they were bleeding so didn't brush hard at all . Two weeks after the remainder will be out ( all under sedation ) then dentures with bottom dentures on implants I can't even think about that but I feel I am grieving for my lost teeth stupid isn't it .

Scarycat,

You are definately courageous going forward with all this as all the others say as well! Grieving teeth isn't stupid at all!! Its a part of your body and very real to go through a grieving process with this . This is such great awareness and acknowledgement and self care on your part to do all you are doing. Give yourself alot of grace you have a great amount of courage

You can do this, Scarycat!! I’m going through the exact same thing as you. Had all mine extracted three weeks ago today. I find that thinking about the stages and not the big picture makes it easier. Good luck!!

"I find that thinking about the stages and not the big picture makes it easier. "

So true!! love this Boxermom

Thank you all for your support it means such a lot to me , I don't feel very brave I think I am trying to block it out to some degree and certainly not thinking about the work that has to be done .

Moving forwards despite fear, that's what is making you brave. Blocking it and not thinking of it is fine, those are your ways to cope. I know you will do great :)

Having a bit of a wobbly tonight first lot of extractions tomorrow under sedation keep thinking about walking in the room and seeing all the equipment and people . I have got to be strong and keep telling myself it will be ok in the end ( hopefully) . It is good to be on here and to explain how I feel knowing I will not be judged for letting my teeth get in this state and you understand how I feel .

I think the wait and anticipation is the worst. It will be over before you know it and you will be safe at home recovering. Let us know how it goes. Wishing you all the luck

Hi well back home after having my first extractions,it wasn't as bad as I was expecting and was expecting my face to be bruised which it isn't . I am starting to have a little discomfort but at the moment not to bad . I had a front tooth that was sticking out (bone loss) he has done something to make it level with the other one till it is removed in a few weeks . I have started my journey now so onwards and upwards as they say .

Back