• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Well done it at last

Hi well back home after having my first extractions,it wasn't as bad as I was expecting and was expecting my face to be bruised which it isn't . I am starting to have a little discomfort but at the moment not to bad . I had a front tooth that was sticking out (bone loss) he has done something to make it level with the other one till it is removed in a few weeks . I have started my journey now so onwards and upwards as they say .

Well done! Hopefully it gets easier now that you have a positive experience to build on!

Hi less than 48 hours for my final extractions and the temporary dentures in and the start of the implants on the bottom jaw . I am now feeling frightened of how it will be after the extractions ( I am being sedated again ) how I will even be able to take these teeth out and put them back in again , eat and talk with them, looking at myself without any teeth , think I am going into panic mode about it all . I have stocked the food cupboards up for hubby , eat for England in case I can't eat for a while and basically thinking I will not be seeing people for a while as I won't look like me if any of you kind people can put my mind a little bit at ease I would greatly appreciate it .

Hey Scarycat,
I was exactly where you’re at 5 & 1/2 weeks ago. I had mine done on a Thursday then took Friday and the weekend off from work. I went back full time on Monday after. Yes, you are going to struggle with everything you mentioned. But it does get better. Those first few days are the worst, but nothing that you can’t do. You won’t want to eat the first day, the day after try something like yogurt or pudding, stick with very soft mushy things. I tried to eat chicken noodle soup on the second day and it didn’t go well lol. If you like mashed potatoes try those on the third or fourth day. You’ll just have to try and don’t get discouraged. Try not to look at your mouth without the temporary set in. Trust me, just don’t do it.
Focus on why you’re doing this and how much better you’re going to feel. It will take some time to feel comfortable talking with them in. Practice when you’re alone, read something out loud and try to remember that your voice sounds much much worse in your head than you think it sounds. I’ve found that I had to slow down my speech to sound better. If I talk too fast it sounds like I’m mumbling.
Each day will get better, and some days will feel like a step backwards, but tomorrow is another day.
I can’t tell you how much better I’ve felt these last 5 weeks. Yes my mouth has been sore. Eating is still a challenge, and I lost a little weight, but you will adjust. I’m finally getting more comfortable smiling after so many years of hiding my teeth. I can laugh out loud without covering my mouth! My temporaries are not perfect - the teeth are tiny, but I have a smile again. I don’t have to worry about people seeing my teeth when I talk, which has made me more sociable. Other than wishing I’d have taken better care of my teeth, I have no regrets.
Good luck. You can do this. It will be ok.

Thank you so much Boxermom , i do regret not looking after my teeth but I can't turn the clock back now I can only go forward shall just be glad when this is over now .

Thank you so much Boxermom , i do regret not looking after my teeth but I can't turn the clock back now I can only go forward shall just be glad when this is over now .

You have such a great attitude to this, all the best and do let us know how it goes!

I am back home after full extractions , had immediate dentures and the start of the bottom implants . Feels very uncomfortable and not talking a lot as that is uncomfortable , it just feels like a big toy in my mouth and have a lot of saliva and still bleeding at the front tooth . I know the next few days are going to be challenging but they look 1000 times better already and that is what I have to think of.

I am back home after full extractions , had immediate dentures and the start of the bottom implants . Feels very uncomfortable and not talking a lot as that is uncomfortable , it just feels like a big toy in my mouth and have a lot of saliva and still bleeding at the front tooth . I know the next few days are going to be challenging but they look 1000 times better already and that is what I have to think of.

I love it that you are letting your focus be on the long-term rewards rather than on the next few days! I really look forward to the updates as I'm sure others are too.
Congratulations, you are well on your way now to the smile you deserve! ?

Well I havnt been to sleep and it's 2.30 am in England, very very uncomfortable not sure if my gums are swelling but these teeth feel massive and seem to be catching everywhere, don't know where to put my tongue and every time swallow my tongue hits the roof of my mouth have took painkillers but it took me 15 mins as had to break them up
Ps sorry for the moaning

Well I havnt been to sleep and it's 2.30 am in England, very very uncomfortable not sure if my gums are swelling but these teeth feel massive and seem to be catching everywhere, don't know where to put my tongue and every time swallow my tongue hits the roof of my mouth have took painkillers but it took me 15 mins as had to break them up
Ps sorry for the moaning

I'm sorry you're having trouble sleeping, and don't apologize for explaining how you feel, it's totally understandable?.
I'm glad you have managed to take the painkillers, just hang on in there and try to get some sleep ?

It's now over 48 hours since my full extraction , last night was very painful but I have had dental implants on my bottom jaw and think the pain was from that . Went back to the dentist today for him to have a look at , he was very pleased but couldn't get over the amount of bruising on my chin and the swelling . I have not removed them yet as worried I won't get them back in but the dentist did today . I am just having yogurt and soup up to yet and to be honest I am not that hungry so that's not a problem if anyone is on this journey I would love to hear from you
Many thanks

Back